Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Purchasing New Host Everest 11.6, Help Please
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Purchasing New Host Everest 11.6, Help Please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Bandit400

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all! Just joined the forum after a few weeks of lurking[emoticon] I am seriously thinking about moving forward with purchasing a truck camper. I have narrowed down the model to the Host Everest based on my needs (noted below). Would greatly appreciate any thoughts or feedback on option selection and any truck upgrades necessary to support this camper.

Plans for the TC:
I like to use the camper to sleep myself, my wife and our two teenage daughters during typically 1 to 2 week long vacations and short overnight trips for my daughter’s sports tournaments. TC seems to be the right solution as it seems finding spots to Boondock and storing the camper when not in use are going to be much easier.

Questions:
1. Any suggestions on the options I have selected below as my initial list?
2. Can I get the 11000 Btu Air Conditioner with the Off Grid Extreme Package and use a Honda EU2200 to run it instead of the noisy onan generator?
3. I plan on hauling the camper on a 2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW with 8ft bed. Truck has the 6.7L Cummins HO diesel. Available payload is around 5600lbs. I figure this camper with some light packing and fluids will be very close if not slightly over my available payload limit. What suggestions for any suspension upgrades to avoid rear sag or sway? Was thinking that I will likely need a rear sway bar and some sort of spring lift support to address some minor sagging when loaded.
4. I would greatly appreciate any tips on purchasing? Would kind of discount off MSRP is typical? Any dealer recommendations? Is sales tax typically required for out of state purchases?

Sorry for all the questions. Its a big purchase and want to do it right the first time [emoticon]

2021 Host Everest Options:
Interior Decor Package:
Smokey River Package

Bed Options:
Standard Queen Bed (wardrobes vary depending on model)

General Options:
  • Add Synthetic Leather (standard is cloth)
    Footrest under rear couch Everest
    24" Main TV (Everest, Rainier LB)
    32" Bedroom TV (Mammoth, Yukon, Everest, Tahoe SB)
    Automatic Satellite Dish w/ GPS (for Satellite TV) (Winegard)
    AM/FM/CD/DVD w/ Alarm Clock, Bluetooth, 4 Speakers
    Exterior Speakers
    12V Charging Stations (one on each side of bed)
    Microwave/Convection Oven
    Thetford sealed (3) burner euro series cook top
    Accordion Privacy Bedroom Door
    Keyless Entry
    See Level Tank Monitors (Black, Grey, Fresh)
    Insulated Windows w/ solar cool glass (Insulated windows with solar grey glass std)
    Taller Generator Compartment (to store Portable Honda 2200)
    Norcold 9.7 Cubic ft. 12V Refrigerator/Freezer (for use with Off Grid Extreme & Extreme Plus)
    11,000 BTU Low Profile Air Conditioner (for use with on board generator) – Can I Use a Honda EU2200 if a Micro-Air soft start is installed in the air conditioner?
    Truma On Demand Hot Water Heater
    Dual 6V Batteries
    Swing Out Jack Brackets
    Power Passenger Side Awning (Yukon, Mammoth, Everest, Cascade, Rainer LB, Tahoe SB)
    Storage Bay Slide-Out Tray (Yukon, Mammoth, Everest, Cascade, Rainer LB, Tahoe SB)
    Plumb for BBQ
    Off Grid Extreme Package (plan to use a Honda EU2200 as a backup auxiliary power source)

Thanks[emoticon]

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Four people (grown and almost grown) in a TC is too close quarters for me.

Suspension upgrades don’t increase payload. They may level the truck. Not sufficient IMO.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered my Host from D & H RV in Apex, NC. Dave was very good to me.

2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the camper first and then determine IF you need upgrades before adding them. You may not need anything.

It's not like you will be so blissfully ignorant of any handling issues that you won't slow down or otherwise compensate for them initially. If you are that blissfully ignorant, maybe a big heavy camper on a big heavy truck isn't the best choice... but I digress.

The truck is not going to explode into pieces without the suspension upgrades. Actually it will be more likely to explode into pieces WITH the upgrades, but that's so highly unlikely it's not even a consideration.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like literally the ultimate TC on top of the ultimate truck !

The Honda “should” run the AC but as you know, it’ll be close. See if anyone can say definitively.

Tax? Learn how that works. If you don’t know, you’re likely getting ripped off.....in general.

And yes truck will haul it fine. Decide what suspension mods you want or need after you haul it and do some reading. You’ll have a hard time picking out the proper recommendation through the piles of bs here.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if part of the reason for a $100k purchase is for the convenience or cost savings for out of town sports tournaments, think again.
Our kids are/ have been all over the US and Canada for sports and even though we own the camper and truck for years and not a purchase consideration, it rarely, if ever makes sense to take it. Both financially and/or the extra time and effort required.
Just got back last night, 4 days in Boise, from Seattle. Hockey. Actually thought I was going to do the camper thing this time. It was still overall cheaper, faster, easier to drive a fast car there and stay in a hotel. Seriously.
If you’re doing it for the fun only. Different story.

Bandit400

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks zb39 for the dealer recommendation.

Thanks mkirsch, good advice.

bakedalaskan1

North Pole, AK

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably not the right choice for your family. I have owned two 11 foot truck campers, class C , class A, 5th wheel and many bumper pulls. My advice is to set up a small table, 2 lawn chairs a television and camp stove in your bathroom or kitchen and have the family spend the night together in that room. If you make it through the night you would probably successfully last a weekend in a truck camper but no way last a week or two in one. I think truck campers are great and certainly have a place in our ranks. I wish I still had one for many reasons but my advice to you is to buy a used one first and give it a try. At least take the family to the dealer and watch television for an hour and play cards and imagine it is pouring down rain outside. Then decide how you would get ready for bed and again how you will get dressed in the morning. After that go sit in a class c or travel trailer and try to imagine the same situation. Your truck is very capable for a truck camper. Have fun shopping.

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just left the Host factory 30 minutes ago. We have a new Mammoth ordered for early Jan of 2021 and wanted to verify colors and layout. The couch or dinette ( your option) really sleeps 1 person.
Our son and his girlfriend tried to sleep there once and he opted for the floor. They were hiking the PCT and used to sharing a small tent but the dinette didn't have enough depth. You can buy in Oregon with no sales tax.
Btw, we were the 3rd customers Host entertained today. They had a couple come off production with different options. They're shifting production to Cascades right now.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bakedalaskan1 wrote:

Probably not the right choice for your family. I have owned two 11 foot truck campers,

I would say that depends totally on what your "family" IE mom n dad want.
If you want luxurious sprawl out in the camper, whole family like you're sitting in your living room/open kitchen at home in your custom home, then a TC AINT the right choice. But if you actually intend on calling what you're doing "camping", then it sure seems to work for many thousands of families and groups all the time.
We've outgrown the kids being short enough to sleep on the dinette and bunk in our shortbox camper, but an Everest is easily big enough to house a family of four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Purchasing New Host Everest 11.6, Help Please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.