cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery over charging

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Without changing the converter do they make something I can install in-line to keep from over charging my batteries. If I leave my 5th wheel plugged in all the time it will eventually boil my batteries unless I turn off the battery switch. I was hoping that maybe they make something that I can just install in-line to keep this from happening, but still keep the batteries charged. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got rid of my WFCO because it would not go into bulk charging mode no matter how low the battery got. I installed a Progressive Dynamics unit and am very happy. My TT stays plugged in unless we are on the road. The battery is still in good shape at 2 1/2 years. Time will tell.
My old class C had the same problem and I put in a Progressive Dynamics converter but left the power distribution center in tact. That was an easy job of removing 2 wires from the old unit and hooking them up to the new. The breakers all stayed in place.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Explorer II
Explorer II
I was having the same problem with my WFCO. I made one with a MOSFET and a timer. It charges 1 hour every 5 days.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Not all chargers are created equal whether it is new or old. What brand if power center/converter do you have, that may tell us something. If it's a WFCO it probebly isn't doing the best job of charging the batteries. Changing out the converter really isn't a hard job. Many people have switched to Boondocker converters or Progressive Dynamics.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Plug the RV into a timer. Set it for one hour per day. Plug the timer into shore power.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901 wrote:
Without changing the converter do they make something I can install in-line to keep from over charging my batteries. If I leave my 5th wheel plugged in all the time it will eventually boil my batteries unless I turn off the battery switch. I was hoping that maybe they make something that I can just install in-line to keep this from happening, but still keep the batteries charged. Thanks

I was under the impression these newer converters maintained the batteries . I sold my previous fifth wheel this past spring ,had two group 27 batteries in it that I purchased in late 2009 ,still going strong , that fifth wheel was plugged in 24/7 for 10 years, and never had an issue with boiling the batteries dry.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Ed9824v wrote:
wopachop wrote:
The converter on my friends 2002 trailer has a spot for an add on device. I remember the connector looking like an old phone line connection.

The device changed the charging pattern to work better when leaving the trailer plugged in 24/7.

sounds like the wizard I have for my progressive dynamic charger for may trailer https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/
made exclusively for the progressive dynamics charager

Iโ€™ll have to see what brand of converter I have to see if this might work. Thanks

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
The converter on my friends 2002 trailer has a spot for an add on device. I remember the connector looking like an old phone line connection.

The device changed the charging pattern to work better when leaving the trailer plugged in 24/7.

sounds like the wizard I have for my progressive dynamic charger for may trailer https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/
made exclusively for the progressive dynamics charager
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please measure the voltage on the battery terminals. s/b 13.2 to 13.65 volts. Post the results.
The solution is to replace the defective charging device.

If your battery is going bad with a shorted cell it will have the symptoms of overcharging.
Only use distilled water for topping up the cells. Fill to 1/4" to 1/8" below the split tube that extends down into the cell. Just touching the bottom of the tube is absolute max. Overfilling can also push electrolyte out the caps.

Post the model number of your converter or inverter/charger for best options.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good 3 stage charger will not over charge batteries. Also load test the batteries to be sure they are not part of the problem.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to say, yes, my buddy told me that he just installed something for this on his boat but I don't know the technical name for the device.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I do not believe anyone sells an "add on" device. The simple solution is to plug your 5er into a cheap, mechanical, lamp timers and set it to run only 4 hours per day.