Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JAC1982

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't get me wrong, we have a lot of use for a built in generator as we boondock a lot (hence why we bought a rig that could have one), but it was just disappointing that it uses up so much propane. That's basically the only thing I miss about the toyhauler.... the gas generator.


2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a factory installed Onan 5500 lp and it's a fantastic option.
I agree if your camping style involves hunkering down off the grid and using the gensets all day long for days in a row, gasoline is a better option.
However if you are a convenience user and use the built in for rest area breaks, lunch stops, overnighting, leaving the dog in the camper. The built- in Onan gives us lots of options vs. a portable genset or no genset at all.
There is no planning , no hauling ,no carrying no set up, no cord pulling, no carb issues, no stale gas or ethanol talk no security issues.
Just push button convenience and you can have full electric wherever you are.


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/29/20 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

2014,

Is yours a Bergs system, or do it yourself?

I had the Bergs dual feed system when I was dry camping at the tracks in the heat, what a great set up ! My 2 Honda's together runnngthe AC's could run forever !


I just have the one Honda 2000. As said we never really need the air conditioner, but my previous fifth wheel with the Onan 5500 LP I could run the air, but never did in 12 years with the generator.

To answer your question no, I have the Atwood 6 gal. extended run tank, it looks the same as the Berg System. They look very similar , the quick connect hose , and cap that goes on the generator looks like they are the same.. I didn't see a dual setup for the Atwood to be able to supple the two Honda's like yours .

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/29/20 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I have a factory installed Onan 5500 lp and it's a fantastic option.
I agree if your camping style involves hunkering down off the grid and using the gensets all day long for days in a row, gasoline is a better option.
However if you are a convenience user and use the built in for rest area breaks, lunch stops, overnighting, leaving the dog in the camper. The built- in Onan gives us lots of options vs. a portable genset or no genset at all.
There is no planning , no hauling ,no carrying no set up, no cord pulling, no carb issues, no stale gas or ethanol talk no security issues.
Just push button convenience and you can have full electric wherever you are.



I too think its a fantastic option ,if one needs it . In my case it was a pretty much wasted 4500 dollar option, that one Honda 2000 could have served "OUR" needs , and now does with my present fifth wheel without the onboard generator. For us it was live ,and learn [emoticon]

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL Home Base

Senior Member

Joined: 08/13/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

" I use non-ethanol gas in my rig and keep stabilizer in the fuel year round."

Running non-ethanol gas I see ZERO reason to use a stabilizer.


All gasoline can "get old". Stabilizer doesn't cost much and during the times I only run the generator for it's every month 1 hour under a load, gas does sit in the 10 gallon onboard tank longer than when used daily.


Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010


edatlanta

Maplesville, AL Home Base

Senior Member

Joined: 08/13/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are definitely benefits to living in an RV full time. 29 hours now since the storm took our electricity away and I'm sitting here drinking a cup of hot coffee watching last night's news on the TV. My built in generator is worth every penny. I have 15 gallons of non-ethanol gas waiting to be used when need in addition to what is the onboard tank. I'm not running the generator all day, just a few hours in the morning and evening.
The power company told us yesterday it could be 4 days before power is restored since they had a full 1/3 of their customers without power. There was a lot of cleanup going on around here yesterday, cutting trees off of roads, etc. but zero power line maintenance. We have to wait out turn and we are just a little place.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I have a factory installed Onan 5500 lp and it's a fantastic option.
I agree if your camping style involves hunkering down off the grid and using the gensets all day long for days in a row, gasoline is a better option.
However if you are a convenience user and use the built in for rest area breaks, lunch stops, overnighting, leaving the dog in the camper. The built- in Onan gives us lots of options vs. a portable genset or no genset at all.
There is no planning , no hauling ,no carrying no set up, no cord pulling, no carb issues, no stale gas or ethanol talk no security issues.
Just push button convenience and you can have full electric wherever you are.



I too think its a fantastic option ,if one needs it . In my case it was a pretty much wasted 4500 dollar option, that one Honda 2000 could have served "OUR" needs , and now does with my present fifth wheel without the onboard generator. For us it was live ,and learn [emoticon]

Very few actually need an onboard genset or must have one in order to camp. However the Onboard genset expands your camping options.
You can overnight most anywhere even in extreme hot weather because you have electric for AC available. You can leave dog in RV on a hot day while you go to lunch or tour an attraction.
You can boondock or visit places and have full use of your RV without planning.
The genset gives you the option to do more. Taking advantage of these options is up to the end user. However without the genset many of these options are unavailable.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I have a factory installed Onan 5500 lp and it's a fantastic option.
I agree if your camping style involves hunkering down off the grid and using the gensets all day long for days in a row, gasoline is a better option.
However if you are a convenience user and use the built in for rest area breaks, lunch stops, overnighting, leaving the dog in the camper. The built- in Onan gives us lots of options vs. a portable genset or no genset at all.
There is no planning , no hauling ,no carrying no set up, no cord pulling, no carb issues, no stale gas or ethanol talk no security issues.
Just push button convenience and you can have full electric wherever you are.



I too think its a fantastic option ,if one needs it . In my case it was a pretty much wasted 4500 dollar option, that one Honda 2000 could have served "OUR" needs , and now does with my present fifth wheel without the onboard generator. For us it was live ,and learn [emoticon]

Very few actually need an onboard genset or must have one in order to camp. However the Onboard genset expands your camping options.
You can overnight most anywhere even in extreme hot weather because you have electric for AC available. You can leave dog in RV on a hot day while you go to lunch or tour an attraction.
You can boondock or visit places and have full use of your RV without planning.
The genset gives you the option to do more. Taking advantage of these options is up to the end user. However without the genset many of these options are unavailable.


We are both making the same argument, but you missed "OUR" needs . WE don't have a dog, we don't overnight most anywhere. We don't camp in extreme hot weather. So the one Honda 2000 serves "OUR" needs. If not then I would to continue have an onboard generator.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edatlanta wrote:

There are definitely benefits to living in an RV full time. 29 hours now since the storm took our electricity away and I'm sitting here drinking a cup of hot coffee watching last night's news on the TV. My built in generator is worth every penny. I have 15 gallons of non-ethanol gas waiting to be used when need in addition to what is the onboard tank. I'm not running the generator all day, just a few hours in the morning and evening.
The power company told us yesterday it could be 4 days before power is restored since they had a full 1/3 of their customers without power. There was a lot of cleanup going on around here yesterday, cutting trees off of roads, etc. but zero power line maintenance. We have to wait out turn and we are just a little place.


I posted on our 5 day hunting trip , I setup our satellite dish, my wife had the coffee going every morning , I took 12 gallons of gas with us , I brought back about 3 gals. She doesn't hunt, so she was at the fifth wheel all day, had the Honda 2000 going, it ran the TV ,the coffee maker, the furnace , the microwave when needed. The only thing I would like on that Honda 2000 is a remote start. Not so much in the morning, I would start the generator before I left to hunt, but in the evening after hunting we would watch a movie or the news ,whatever , and it would be nice to shut it off with a remote . But to take a couple minutes to walk outside to shut it off was certainly not earth ending [emoticon]

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:


We are both making the same argument, but you missed "OUR" needs . WE don't have a dog, we don't overnight most anywhere. We don't camp in extreme hot weather. So the one Honda 2000 serves "OUR" needs. If not then I would to continue have an onboard generator.

I get your point that our needs are different. However one advantage that an onboard has over any portable is convenience. There is never anything to haul, or carry. No gas cans, no set up, no planning
Now I agree you pay a hefty price for that convenience. But there is a freedom associated with having full use of your RV at all times.
Nevertheless a portable is often a good compromise between no electric and full convenient electric

* This post was edited 10/30/20 02:27pm by an administrator/moderator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.