Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

work2much wrote:

Lantley wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I have a factory installed Onan 5500 lp and it's a fantastic option.
I agree if your camping style involves hunkering down off the grid and using the gensets all day long for days in a row, gasoline is a better option.
However if you are a convenience user and use the built in for rest area breaks, lunch stops, overnighting, leaving the dog in the camper. The built- in Onan gives us lots of options vs. a portable genset or no genset at all.
There is no planning , no hauling ,no carrying no set up, no cord pulling, no carb issues, no stale gas or ethanol talk no security issues.
Just push button convenience and you can have full electric wherever you are.

I too think its a fantastic option ,if one needs it . In my case it was a pretty much wasted 4500 dollar option, that one Honda 2000 could have served "OUR" needs , and now does with my present fifth wheel without the onboard generator. For us it was live ,and learn [emoticon]

Very few actually need an onboard genset or must have one in order to camp. However the Onboard genset expands your camping options.
You can overnight most anywhere even in extreme hot weather because you have electric for AC available. You can leave dog in RV on a hot day while you go to lunch or tour an attraction.
You can boondock or visit places and have full use of your RV without planning.
The genset gives you the option to do more. Taking advantage of these options is up to the end user. However without the genset many of these options are unavailable.

We have all those same options with our solar/lithium system. Also with a propane generator you still have carb issues, planning for the purchase of propane and planning for normal maintenance. Just pointing out that having a propane generator (and I used to) isn't trouble free, carefree nirvana. Ours quit working more than once..

I can't speak for anyone else's experiences, only my own. My Onan has been Nirvana. No carb issues in the 8 years I've owned the trailer. Just oil changes.
Are you able to run 2 A/C's all day long with your solar set up?

This thread is going in circles, been there with the Onan, yes mine would run two AC's ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, we all know that ,and I know after a couple days or so of that ,and you are going after propane, or you got a bunch of tanks, no thanks. You can push these Onan onboards all you want, there are other alternatives , been there done that with Onan , and now I don't, and haven't missed it for a second. Matter of fact now I don't have to go out ,and run it an hour a month .

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We know the Onan can run 2 A/C but can the Honda's and solar you guys are touting do the same?
I'm not pushing anything. But if you want to compare what an Onan can do vs. what a Honda 2000 can do, than keep it factual.
I understand you prefer the Honda, much in the same way I prefer the Onan.
But lets not pretend they are equal in terms of power output and ability to run high current appliances.
A Honda 2000 can do most anything the Onan can do except run both A/C's. Once you cross the dual A/C threshold/requirement the units are no longer equal in ability as some imply.
If you don't need dual A/C the Honda is a viable option. However if you do need dual A/C the Honda won't get the job done.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about we all agree that everyone has different needs and preferences? One is not necessarily better than the other.

As for us, we like our onboard Onan for when we need two ACs, and know that we will need to refill the propane tanks. That would be the case with a gas generator too when running two ACs all day in 100+ heat and full sun. We have the portable Onan 4500 on order for the other trips where we don't need two ACs. This is the set up that works for us. My father in law runs twin Hondas and that works great for them and their set up (one AC). Solar works great for other people too, but without spending tens of thousands of dollars, wouldn't work for us and our needs.

Besides, this is way off topic. This post is about what models have the onboard Onan available.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheels with an onaboard Onan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.