cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Short Steep or Long gradual

PWRmx24
Explorer
Explorer
Towing maxed out from West VA in a 96 F350 7.3L. Trying to decide if I go over mountains using route 60 to Amherst VA or I64 east toward's Charlottsvile to lynchburg. My post is not so much about the exact route as much as the dynamics of the route. One is winding and steeper....harder slow pulling constant turning and at very low speeds. But on the other side of the mountain at least if I lost brakes I can put it in the bank and live. The other route is more gradual but if I lost brakes on the other side theres no runaway ramp and it's a ways down.

Any thoughts appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vw triker wrote:
You have large hills to go up and down 64 and 60. 220 to 460 not so much.
Some road construction on 220, for a short distance, then you hit 4 lane the rest of the way.

X2 on 220/460 nice easy ride. Don't have to worry about meeting a logging truck head-on in the switchbacks on 60.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like winding and steep !

PWRmx24
Explorer
Explorer
I came through christiansburg. 77 seems about the same as 64...some long downhills and steep climbs in some areas but at least you can down shift and hold a relatively straight line and let it pull. there's 4 lanes all the way so if you break down at least you're not blocking the whole traffic pattern. On 60 it's two lanes. Anyway. Leaking diesel fuel now.....happened before....was around my pump....not happy. Got the brakes in order now this. I think my 24yr old truck doesnt want to do this anymore.

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
You have large hills to go up and down 64 and 60. 220 to 460 not so much.
Some road construction on 220, for a short distance, then you hit 4 lane the rest of the way.

PWRmx24
Explorer
Explorer
Complete reset. Brakes seem OK now.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like a good loop. Take one on the way out and the other on the way back.
If you go again reverse the sequence.

PWRmx24
Explorer
Explorer
Vw triker wrote:
I would not go rt 60, I would go 220 to Roanoke, then 460 to lynchburg.
I have used all three routes, like 460 much better.

Thanks! I'm near Chelyan WV and that route makes a lot of sense. It seems to shoot a gap in the mountains vs a hard over the top.

I've stopped because my brake controller suddenly started putting out a constant 2.4 to the trailer! Doing a cool down and disconnected all electrics (including batteries) to see what's going on.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Learn to use gears and stab the brakes. Never ride them or you will warp your brake rotors.

blt2ski
Are you traveling for pleasure? Or work per say?
Sometimes taking the steeper slower route is nicer than the easy flatter route if you will. You also do not say how steel grades are! Some a 5-6% grade is steep, others like me, 15% gets my attention, 20+% is steep! Interstate freeways max out at 6% generally speaking.
Issue with this, is you need to know how steep a grade your rig will do before stalling out. If you don't know this, along with how steep the grade is, then fla5er might be better.
I will admit I have not answered your question, hopefully some food for thought!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
i would take the short steep way. I hate long gradual hills they kill your milage.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My daughter went to college in Lynchburg and I lived at the time in WV and used each of those routes many times towing her horse trailer many times with a Chev diesel with no exhaust brake---I 64 no question!

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
I would not go rt 60, I would go 220 to Roanoke, then 460 to lynchburg.
I have used all three routes, like 460 much better.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would take the less steep downhill route even though it may be long. The 7.3 diesel will not hold you back much at all without an aftermarket exhaust brake so you need to start at the top of the grade very slowly in a low gear and use your truck and trailer brakes off and on to keep the speed slow. Don't let it build up on you.

I had a Ford 7.3 for years (2002 - 2016) and it was a great motor for reliability but not so much for power compared to newer motors. I also added an exhaust brake for a couple of years but it failed twice so I disconnected it and never had a problem descending grades as long as I did as described above.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine