cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My windshield nightmare.

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
This all started in 2017. We were on our way to the Lake Tahoe area to visit family. We were driving on highway 395 and something hit the windshield and chipped it. While at Lake Tahoe I found a place to get the chip fixed. What I did not notice was another chip right at the edge of the windshield. While driving home to CA the windshield cracked.

Never having had a windshield for a class A motorhome installed before I did a Google search. The first thing that popped up was a company that says ""Nationwide" warranty will cover you wherever you go in your travels". So I called. They sent me to a company about 50 miles north of me in Paso Robles to get the windshield replaced.

The company replaced the windshield and I went home. We did not use the motorhome for a few months. Our next trip was to Canada. It rained, the windshield leaked all across the top. When we returned home I called the company that had installed it and took it back to them. It was the same person that installed the windshield that was now trying to repair it. He put sealant from the inside of the RV all along the top of the windshield. Our next couple of trips in the motorhome it did not rain. On one trip that it did rain and it leaked, not as bad as before but it did leak.

I called the company that installed it and I took it back. This was about 1 3/4 years after the initial install. This time the same guy worked on it, he packed it from the outside with sealant. I watched him do it. He used a lot of sealant! I thought it won't leak this time! I was wrong! And before anyone says it is the running lights, I only spray water on the windshield and not on the lights.

Fast forward to January 2020 and Covid-19. We had not used the RV. I took it out and it was wet. It leaked. I called the company that installed it. Long story short, they are now chasing the leak. Just placing sealant where it leaks and it will leak in another place.

I called the Nationwide warranty company to see if they would do anything. I spoke with a couple of people and then the Warranty person who is the general manager of the company. His first question to me was why did I not call while it was under warranty. I went to the website, all it says is "our industry-leading warranty". No place on the website does it mention a time limit or what is covered. He made grand promises. He said if they cant seal it he would have one of "his guys" come look at it and he would replace the windshield. I spoke with him the last time a repair was made and he seemed like he was sincere. I have his direct number. I now call and it goes directly to voicemail and the mailbox is full. I call the company number and they give me his direct number. This has been 3 weeks trying to call him back.

At this point, I am calling other companies to see how much it would cost to just replace the windshield. I am being quoted $3000 to $3500. I am contemplating legal action.

I guess the moral of the story is to go with a reputable company to install it and to be sure and check if your windshield leaks after it has been replaced.

Kent
N6WT
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
UPS Feeder Driver Retired
Ham call sign N6WT
40 REPLIES 40

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
DRIVE the Motorhome a hundred miles and retest. The front Cap and Glass constantly shift and I doubt just running sealant across the top will be a permanent fix. Doug

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
N6WT wrote:
And let me also add. DO NOT CALL A "National company" you find on the internet. Find a local company and go with them!

Not a "one-size-fits-all" solution, unfortunately.

When we had a windshield problem with our '12 Allegro Bus, I DID call a prominent local automotive windshield repair/replacement outfit to come to my place and evaluate a replacement windshield, and all I got was, "that's a BIG piece of glass". He promised to consult with management and "get back to me" with a proposal, and I never heard anything else from them.

Ultimate resolution was a trip to the Tiffin factory service center for a new windshield installation. Lesson learned: Don't rely on local businesses to always be willing or capable of dealing with an RV windshield issue.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
N6WT---Amen to that!!!!

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
And let me also add. DO NOT CALL A "National company" you find on the internet. Find a local company and go with them!
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
In the end!

I started telling the Windshield shop that they need to remove the windshield and reseal it. Their response was we will come to you to do a water test. Their shop was not set up to do a water test on a motorhome of my size and they did not trust me that I had adequately sealed the running lights. Fair enough. The installer came out and did the water test, he only put water on the windshield. It leaked. He scratched his head for a bit. He said he would like to seal from the outside. I figured ok. He removed the trim piece from the top of the windshield and it was obvious that the original installer had done a poor job. He put sealant across the top seam of the windshield and left.

I waited 4 days to test again. It did not leak! Thank goodness!!

In the end, I will say I learned something from this experiance. In speaking with a lawyer about this there are things you should not take for granted, such as warranty. Here is a link to A Consumer's Guide to Automotive Repair in California. Read it over and do your due diligence when taking your RV in for repair. I am guilty of being complacent on this.

Good luck!

Kent
N6WT
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Before I spent $3,000 to $5,000 to replace and then try to sue, I would spend $150 at a local RV shop that is equipped to do a proper pressure test.

If the windshield leaks send a copy of the shops invoice and a copy of the video of the process showing the bubbles to the warranty company.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
I usually use a garden water hose to check for leaks after a windshield repair.
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
So the latest on this.

I re-sealed the running lights. There was nothing wrong with the lights when I removed them, but to move things along I re-sealed them. I let the sealant cure for 2 days even though the instructions said it would be done in 24hrs. I water tested again. I did not spray any water on the running lights. It leaked in the same spot. I called the original glass company. the response was, "did you have the dealer look at the lights". No!

I told them the windshield needs to be removed and redone. The response was well if we do that it will break. They left it at they will talk to the owner of the company. Then a call back a few mins later asking what is the VIN#. I can only guess where this is going now.

I figure I will have to go with another company and send the old company the bill and then small claims court.

Kent
N6WT
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
Racklefratz wrote:
But as an aside, I notice your signature includes "UPS Feeder Driver retiring in July 2016!". That was a while ago. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Yes a few years ago!

Life is good. Pursuing my hobbies. Ham radio and offroading. More of the ham radio.

73 GL
Kent
N6WT
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
N6WT wrote:
My RV is parked in a shed so no leaking without me knowing it. When it did a towel was put down.

Windshield leaks are no fun - our '94 Beaver Patriot leaked whenever we got into any rain. I didn't really pursue it, since where we live, there's not much rain. Sorry I don't have anything to offer in your situation.

But as an aside, I notice your signature includes "UPS Feeder Driver retiring in July 2016!". That was a while ago. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Tx, I think it was that way or maybe the glass co just forgave the $50 deductible
But on the last windshield, they charged me the $50 saying it is required now.
I don't know if it is actually a law or just something the glass & insurance companies started doing. The girl in the office didn't know, didn't care either

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I may have missed something in this thread, but in my state the insurance company is required to replace cracked windshields free of charge. I have had 3 windshields replaced since owning the MH and there were no deductible or any other charges to pay. One leaked while on a trip after having it replaced at home and another company in TN. fixed the leak. I had to call the insurance company and go to one of their recommended facilities to have it covered.
I have not heard of this. However I have a different insurance company from 2017. Never the less I will call my insurance agent and see what they can do.

Thanks
Kent
N6WT
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I may have missed something in this thread, but in my state the insurance company is required to replace cracked windshields free of charge. I have had 3 windshields replaced since owning the MH and there were no deductible or any other charges to pay. One leaked while on a trip after having it replaced at home and another company in TN. fixed the leak. I had to call the insurance company and go to one of their recommended facilities to have it covered.