cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety in Puerto Penasco

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Mexicoruss, Hoping I can get some info and maybe advise from you. My mate and I are planning to come to Rocky point in January. We have been there several times, but not since covid started. She is on oxygen therapy and we will have a portable machine with us. She is also on warfarin for her blood and needs to have her blood checked for coagulation and I am having a hell of a time finding a doctor or lab that speaks English and can do this. I have been advised by a resident there to not come. Perhaps you can offer some help. Thank you very much.
Bill
17 REPLIES 17

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Found out today that a home kit is off the table for various reasons. Still hoping to find a doctor or lab that speaks English and is seeing patients. Thanks, all.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I dont think I would go right now either in that condition. Only good thing is you are within 3 hours of phoenix. With a vaccine possibly 4 months away I would be patient.

Talleyho69
Here in Zihuatanejo you don't need a referral for any of the medical lab tests. Just ask, pay and they will give you the results when they are available if not instantly.

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Mexicoruss, thanks every body for the replies. I have an Inogen 4 coming. have been informed I can get a home test kit for her blood and will be able to determine her warfarin dosage.
This, if it happens, will most likely be our last trip to Mexico, we are in our eighties. If any one knows of an English speaking doctor or lab that does blood work and knows what they are doing, please inform me. Thank you all.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Every city or large town in Mexico have labs. You do need a referral. Many are modern first class. They will email the results. However with your medical needs I would stay home.

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
rehless wrote:
Mexicoruss, Hoping I can get some info and maybe advise from you. My mate and I are planning to come to Rocky point in January. We have been there several times, but not since covid started. She is on oxygen therapy and we will have a portable machine with us. She is also on warfarin for her blood and needs to have her blood checked for coagulation and I am having a hell of a time finding a doctor or lab that speaks English and can do this. I have been advised by a resident there to not come. Perhaps you can offer some help. Thank you very much.
Bill
it doesn't sound like good idea to me to travel right now with the medical needs you described..I don't have connections in the medical community but am happy to check it out for you.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Bleeding from skin tears or cuts can be effectively controlled with a product called "Wound Seal". It is a powder in a small tube. You just wash the cut, pour the powder over the cut, press down and hold it for 30 seconds. The bleeding will stop in 30 seconds. If necessary repeat process. Wound Seal is sold on Amazon or most pharmacies.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Check with your Dr. about switching to a blood thinner that doesn't require as frequent testing.

Warfarin is the ONLY one that can be quickly reversed
Others do NOT have that capability so if INR goes HIGH ... bleeding problems
Warfarin....INR goes HIGH ....Vitamin K will counter act
(Dark greens ---spinach, collard greens, broccoli etc)

For bleeding skin problems, buy a product called " wound seal" it is a powder in sealed little tubes about the size of pencil. Each tube is about 2" long. 1. wash the cut 2. open the tube and pour the powder over the cut 3. press and hold the powder down for 30 seconds, wipe off powder. The bleeding will typically seal and stop within 30 seconds.

Is her INR/Protime stable?
Is she having to change dosage routinely or dosage is regulated?
Should be stable......otherwise she needs to monitor diet and find a happy spot (same diet regiment and NOT splurge on foods with Vitamin K)

Been on Warfarin since 2012
Eat greens but do not over indulge or binge eat them
Moderation is key to keep INR level (2-3 INR Range)

4 to 6 week INR testing should be goal

Is the Mexican Border OPEN?

Talleyho69
Yes, the border is open. Although what we read in the news states that it is not, check some of the earlier postings, particularly from Playaboy, and it is open.

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. I am going to ask her anti coagulation people about a home monitoring system.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
rehless wrote:
Bill

Check with your Dr. about switching to a blood thinner that doesn't require as frequent testing.

Warfarin is the ONLY one that can be quickly reversed
Others do NOT have that capability so if INR goes HIGH ... bleeding problems
Warfarin....INR goes HIGH ....Vitamin K will counter act
(Dark greens ---spinach, collard greens, broccoli etc)

Is her INR/Protime stable?
Is she having to change dosage routinely or dosage is regulated?
Should be stable......otherwise she needs to monitor diet and find a happy spot (same diet regiment and NOT splurge on foods with Vitamin K)

Been on Warfarin since 2012
Eat greens but do not over indulge or binge eat them
Moderation is key to keep INR level (2-3 INR Range)

4 to 6 week INR testing should be goal

Is the Mexican Border OPEN?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
rehless wrote:
Bill

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Was just there, at Playa Bonita RV Park, from Oct 15-24 and had absolutely no issues. Border crossing was as easy as usual. Virtually all restaurants, we only ate outdoors, require everyone to wear masks. Only place I felt uncomfortable was the Malecon where most of the vendors didn't wear masks and we avoided after finding that out. BTW There are parking meters all along the Malecon now. I would not hesitate to return if they keep taking the pandemic as seriously as they are now.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Talleyho69
Here in Zihuatanejo we have a bunch of labs, most have someone who can at least speak token English. The more established ones are set up to send the test results directly to your doctor in the US and Canada so dosages can be adjusted as necessary. Good Luck!!!