cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2012 F-150 tow rating

PK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Should I trust the published towing ratings of my 2012 ecoboost at 11,500 pounds. I may buy a larger trailer from 4500 gross to 8000 gross weight. Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

hkkarlsson96
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good article on understanding your trucks tow capacity!
https://towingpeaceofmind.com/forums/topic/towing-within-your-trucks-tow-capacity/

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
..There are many different kinds of trailers: flat bed, dump, horse, cargo, boat, equipment, cattle, and RV. They all have their differences. A hard sided RV trailer is by far the most challenging. They have a huge frontal area, a high percentage of tongue weight, a large side "sail" area to catch wind, and very limited ability to adjust the weight balance. The same truck that might pull an 8,000 pound boat very well might be a struggling hand full with a 6,000 pound RV.lo

So, yes, your truck can pull 11,500 pounds. If that's a flatbed load of bricks or a dump trailer load of gravel you're probably fine. If you're talking about a hard sided RV I wouldn't even want to tow 9,000 pounds with a 1500 series truck.
You apprently aren't familiar with the SAE J2807 standard, which is how truck ratings are established, or you would never had made such a ridiculous statement.

None of my statements are ridiculous. Their are multiple types of trailers, they do have different physical characteristics and quirks, they do tow differently. Wind resistance and tongue weight are absolutely factors that must be considered in how suitable a tow vehicle is.
Are you suggesting that a trailer that vastly overloads the rear axle, tires, and hitch is just fine as long as it weighs no more than the "tow rating" of the vehicle?
No, I'm suggesting the tow rating is not established with a flatbed trailer. Per J2807 standard, Its established with a high wall trailer with a 65 Sft frontal area; completely opposite your statement.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
..There are many different kinds of trailers: flat bed, dump, horse, cargo, boat, equipment, cattle, and RV. They all have their differences. A hard sided RV trailer is by far the most challenging. They have a huge frontal area, a high percentage of tongue weight, a large side "sail" area to catch wind, and very limited ability to adjust the weight balance. The same truck that might pull an 8,000 pound boat very well might be a struggling hand full with a 6,000 pound RV.lo

So, yes, your truck can pull 11,500 pounds. If that's a flatbed load of bricks or a dump trailer load of gravel you're probably fine. If you're talking about a hard sided RV I wouldn't even want to tow 9,000 pounds with a 1500 series truck.
You apprently aren't familiar with the SAE J2807 standard, which is how truck ratings are established, or you would never had made such a ridiculous statement.

None of my statements are ridiculous. Their are multiple types of trailers, they do have different physical characteristics and quirks, they do tow differently. Wind resistance and tongue weight are absolutely factors that must be considered in how suitable a tow vehicle is.
Are you suggesting that a trailer that vastly overloads the rear axle, tires, and hitch is just fine as long as it weighs no more than the "tow rating" of the vehicle?
No, I'm suggesting the tow rating is not established with a flatbed trailer. Per J2807 standard, Its established with a high wall trailer with a 65 Sft frontal area; completely opposite your statement.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Really, the best solution is to buy the trailer you like best and try pulling it with the 150, if your truck isnโ€™t enough get a SRW 350. Towing will be easy again. Then, since you have a big truck, get a bigger trailer....

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Lots of newbs also get sucked into the โ€œone too many bags of Cheetos in the truck bed and youโ€™ll be a menace to the roadway and society in generalโ€ paranoia that is fairly rampant on this website and many others.
Typically processed by โ€œexpertsโ€ who have googled way more than theyโ€™ve towed....

You forgot, and will be sued by every lawyer in the county when you crash into grandma going to church.

I've towed at gross, and was probably over. Towing under capacity limit is a less stressful experience. I was surprised at the difference "E" tires made on my F150 tho.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Buy it and try it. Then come back on here asking about fancy hitches, suspension upgrades, and tires that don't feel "Squishy". Happens every day. Then start shopping for an adequate tow vehicle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lots of newbs also get sucked into the โ€œone too many bags of Cheetos in the truck bed and youโ€™ll be a menace to the roadway and society in generalโ€ paranoia that is fairly rampant on this website and many others.
Typically processed by โ€œexpertsโ€ who have googled way more than theyโ€™ve towed....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
The truck's tow rating is correct but it's not that simple. You have to use your head and figure out the other ratings like payload and axle weights.
There are many different kinds of trailers: flat bed, dump, horse, cargo, boat, equipment, cattle, and RV. They all have their differences. A hard sided RV trailer is by far the most challenging. They have a huge frontal area, a high percentage of tongue weight, a large side "sail" area to catch wind, and very limited ability to adjust the weight balance. The same truck that might pull an 8,000 pound boat very well might be a struggling hand full with a 6,000 pound RV.

Good points. Lots of newbs get taken in by GVWR based payloads... especially on many of todays new gen trucks with high gvwr numbers. Even one ton srw and 3/4 ton trucks can have higher payloads than the trucks rear axle/tires/wheels/rear spring packs are rated for.
The F150HD did have a 8200 gvwr but those gvwr based payloads were far exceeding the F150HD 4800 rawr numbers. Even the newer 7850 gvwr with the 33xx lb payload overloads the 4800 rawr in many cases.

Tow rating cover all types of rv and non rv trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
..There are many different kinds of trailers: flat bed, dump, horse, cargo, boat, equipment, cattle, and RV. They all have their differences. A hard sided RV trailer is by far the most challenging. They have a huge frontal area, a high percentage of tongue weight, a large side "sail" area to catch wind, and very limited ability to adjust the weight balance. The same truck that might pull an 8,000 pound boat very well might be a struggling hand full with a 6,000 pound RV.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The truck's tow rating is correct but it's not that simple. You have to use your head and figure out the other ratings like payload and axle weights.
There are many different kinds of trailers: flat bed, dump, horse, cargo, boat, equipment, cattle, and RV. They all have their differences. A hard sided RV trailer is by far the most challenging. They have a huge frontal area, a high percentage of tongue weight, a large side "sail" area to catch wind, and very limited ability to adjust the weight balance. The same truck that might pull an 8,000 pound boat very well might be a struggling hand full with a 6,000 pound RV.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to tow 11,500 then get a 3/4-1 ton truck.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
PK Camper wrote:
Should I trust the published towing ratings of my 2012 ecoboost at 11,500 pounds. I may buy a larger trailer from 4500 gross to 8000 gross weight. Thanks

No you shouldn't trust that 11,500 number. Nearly all 1/2 ton will run out of payload capacity WAY before getting close to the max tow capacity.
Look at your driver's door yellow Tire and Loading sticker. It'll say "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". The driver is considered as an Occupant. That number is the max payload capacity. It's a good number to use unless you want to weigh the truck on a scale.
That payload number dictates what you can tow.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes