cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1/2 ton towing

Bkuhl1179
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 with the etourqe along with a 3.92 rear. Specs on the truck says it has a 1681lb payload and can tow up to 11500 lbs. Looking into purchasing a 2021 Grand Design 3250BH. Dry weight on the rig is 8450lbs and hitch weight is 850lbs. Am I crazy for trying to tow something this big? The numbers seem to be in line with what the truck is rated for.
38 REPLIES 38

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And I forgot. Modern day 3/4 tons ride like absolute dog hsit, if you "follow" the rules and keep the tires aired up to where the gubmint tells you to. So presuming you're ok with breaking that "rule", then I agree with you. But your strict adherence to the rules I wouldn't think would allow you that comfort.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gdetrailer wrote:

I have no intention of ever going back to a 1/2 ton, the one I had was always in the shop, always needing front end parts, brakes and shocks.. Dumped it at 140K miles and have not looked back.

So far have had very good success with 3/4 tons, drove one of them up to 240,000 miles before I sold it, only in a shop once and would have kept it longer but the body was rusting out after 18 yrs..

Modern day 3/4 and 1 tons actually ride very well, while not as soft and spongy as a 1/2 ton they are firm and take command of your loads without the need to add aftermarket suspension upgrades and gadgets.

You "half ton" folks need to open your mind and eyes, much better platforms for light or heavy loads are out there once you get past the old stigma of the "buck board rides" of yester year.

Go, take a 3/4 for a test drive with open minds, you will find it feels firm and planted on the road compared to the mushy 1/2 tons.

Well, I'm certainly not anti HD truck, but again you're cherry picking fond memories of idk what.
"the one I had was always in the shop, always needing front end parts, brakes and shocks.. " I'd say you had a bad truck, don't know how to drive, beat the he!! out of it, or towed way more than it was "rated" for, or you're talking about something from when Jimmy Carter was president. I'll see your crappy half ton story with about 30 years of driving mostly 1/2 tons for construction. Basically driving them like a rental. Current company truck has 100k on it, in 3 years. 1 set of shocks, 1 set of brakes, both at about 70k miles and just started on it's 3rd set of tires. But I'm probably being too easy on it when I've got the skinny pedal matted for minutes at a time hauling 12klb or more trailers up White Pass or Chinook Pass.

Bottom line, your extreme over-reaction to the OP's question can be refuted all day by folks who do exactly what he's asking about every day with 1/2 tons.

And since you may have forgotten by now, I initially replied with I'd look at a bit smaller trailer. Doesn't mean his truck wont work for what he was asking, but it's not unsafe, just not ideal.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gdetrailer wrote:
Diamond c wrote:
Since you just got a new truck if it was me Iโ€™d put a set of over load springs and heavy duty shocks. I think that you have plenty of motor and transmission, you just need a little more suspension.

That is nothing more than putting "lipstick on a pig".

Watched my Dad do that more than once with his tow vehicles, for the money and time he wasted he could have bought a lot of fully loaded more capable vehicles over the years for less than all of the aftermarket upgrade junk and repairs he did..

Moving up to a 3/4 ton platform gets you a stouter frame, stouter springs, stouter axles, stouter brakes, stouter suspension (stronger springs with higher spring rates with less sag), stouter transmission (on some brands) and with some brands you get a vehicle which is designed from ground up for commercial use with longer life with heavy loads/use.

OP already has a new vehicle but has not bought trailer, best bet now is to cross this monster off the list and move on to a trailer weight better suited for the vehicle without the need to slap on a bunch of bandaids and lipstick..

This ain't kiddy world and bumper car rides here, we are talking with big heavy things that when it goes wrong can and will not only hurt people but KILL them.

And we're in full blown weight cop cardiac paranoia now....wooohooo.
GDE, nothing against your dad, but since all the hardcore naysayers beleive you need a wdh with sway control behind most ANY truck if you're pulling anything bigger than a Radio Flyer wagon, the WDH is NOT extra cost.

What else is there? $100-300 for a set of helper bags or Timbrens and if you really want to be safe, the cost difference between buying a set of E load tires and selling the takeoffs (which are cheap @ss junk anyways, so a tire upgrade is on the shortlist for a new truck anyway).
Seriously, each year trucks get more capable and the geritol mafia thinks they can't haul more than before.
And again nothing against GDE's pops, but IF he spent more fixing and upgrading than the cost of getting "alot" of heavier trucks, then either you're exaggerating, or your dad was, umm, not very good at that sort of thing.
Moving "up" to a 3/4 ton, all those things are true, but what if you're not hauling "commercially" and high duty cycle. Then you're driving that big gas pig, or god forbid..... a diesel around every day when in reality a Prius would fit the bill.
Besides, you're showing your backside if you don't know that the 5.7 in the Etorque is the same hemi offered in the HD pickups up until they went with only the 6.4 a couple years ago AND the trans IS the same trans as the HD gassers and SRT8s. AND the 5.7 Etorque w/3.92s outpulls the 6.4 w/4.10s.

I'd like to see some actual evidence that you're not worried about the sky falling (save for rear axle ratings, which are similarly under rated based on the class 1 gvw limits.) If you really think a 9-1/4 Chrysler Corporate axle is going to break if over the paltry sub 3500lb limit that it hits based on GVW, you're smokin something.

And lets not get into why some of you think a 1/2 ton cant tow more than like 125-150% of its curb weight, even if it's rated for MUCH more, but it's ok for HD's to tow 200-300% their curb weight. Kinda kills the lame arse "you'll kill a busload of choir children" drivel.

SV_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
SV Todd wrote:

That may be true but most part times RV'ers are only pulling a trailer 10 or 20% of the time they drive their truck. Who wants to drive a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with it's terrible unladen fuel mileage 80-90% of the time they own their truck?

Yes if your primary purpose of the truck is towing the trailer a 3/4 or 1 ton would be ideal, but for those whose TV is their primary vehicle the other 80-90% of the time, pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton for relatively short trips is perfectly fine.

I drive and own not only ONE 3/4 ton, I have THREE 3/4 ton trucks and they ARE used for "daily drivers"..

I don't call getting 15mpg-16mpg as "terrible unladen mileage" either for a 6.2 gas engine and in a 6000 lb empty truck.

Even 1/2 tons get only a couple of MPG better empty than a 3/4 ton which in reality makes the fuel mileage argument pretty much a moot point. And when loaded (towing) the 1/2 tons do not get any better mileage and sometimes even worse mileage.

I recall back in the 1970's, 80's and even into the early 90s when pickup trucks barely got 8mpg-9mpg empty and automobiles averaged 12 mpg-16 mpg..

I have no intention of ever going back to a 1/2 ton, the one I had was always in the shop, always needing front end parts, brakes and shocks.. Dumped it at 140K miles and have not looked back.

So far have had very good success with 3/4 tons, drove one of them up to 240,000 miles before I sold it, only in a shop once and would have kept it longer but the body was rusting out after 18 yrs..

Modern day 3/4 and 1 tons actually ride very well, while not as soft and spongy as a 1/2 ton they are firm and take command of your loads without the need to add aftermarket suspension upgrades and gadgets.

You "half ton" folks need to open your mind and eyes, much better platforms for light or heavy loads are out there once you get past the old stigma of the "buck board rides" of yester year.

Go, take a 3/4 for a test drive with open minds, you will find it feels firm and planted on the road compared to the mushy 1/2 tons.

I rented a 3/4 Dodge truck a few years back to take a couch to my sister in-laws house in Michigan. Yeah it rode just fine, but the fact is I had to bring a step stool along with me just so my sister in-law could get in and out of the thing.

My wife drives our truck on a daily basis more than I do, and she couldn't do that in dress clothes and high heals if it were a 3/4 Ton. She likes the 1/2 ton and it works just fine for us the 8-10 times a year we tow the TT and racebikes.

I can get 20-22 mpg highway and 18 city with my 1/2 ton unladen. Sure I probably get worse mileage with it towing than I would with a diesel or a bigger gasser, but between the mileage hit the rest of the time and the more expensive price of diesel fuel, it doesn't add up to making a difference in the long run.

I'm not saying that using a 3/4 ton is bad for everyday for everybody. I'm simply saying for some people the advantage of a 1/2 ton for everyday use out weighs the disadvantage it might be for the occasional towing it gets used for. There is no one right answer that works best for everyone.

For me and my wife we would rather spend the $3k for a propride hitch and tow a toy hauler that is stretching the upper limit of the trucks capability 5 or 6 weekends a year than drive a 3/4 ton truck everyday.

I agree that sway at highway speeds is an issue with 10Klbs and 30' plus length with a 1/2 ton, which is why I would always tell someone to use a hensley or propride if they were towing that a big a trailer.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"if it was me Iโ€™d put a set of over load springs and heavy duty shocks.."

Diamond c, overload springs and heavy duty shocks DON'T increase payload. They may level the truck but that's it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm definitely not a member of the weight police, and disagree with them often, but I think this is more trailer than that truck should be subjected to. You could probably make it work by loading light, stiffening the truck suspension, upgrading to LT tires, and purchasing an extra expensive Hensley Arrow (or similar) hitch.

If I had to have that much trailer, I'd bump up to a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
...I don't call getting 15mpg-16mpg as "terrible unladen mileage" either for a 6.2 gas engine and in a 6000 lb empty truck.

Even 1/2 tons get only a couple of MPG better empty than a 3/4 ton which in reality makes the fuel mileage argument pretty much a moot point. And when loaded (towing) the 1/2 tons do not get any better mileage and sometimes even worse mileage....

My first point, my F150 gets about 35% better mileage then the 15 mph my F250 got. I wouldn't call that a moot point. (It would do even better if I would keep my foot out of the throttle)

Secondly, I drove the F250 for about 10 years, Been There, Done That; best decision I ever made was buying the F150.

Third, with 375 Hp and 470 ft/lbs of torque it has no problem moving the load.

YOMV

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
....snip.....

Also, crawl under one and compare frame, brakes, suspension, etc.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
SV Todd wrote:

That may be true but most part times RV'ers are only pulling a trailer 10 or 20% of the time they drive their truck. Who wants to drive a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with it's terrible unladen fuel mileage 80-90% of the time they own their truck?

Yes if your primary purpose of the truck is towing the trailer a 3/4 or 1 ton would be ideal, but for those whose TV is their primary vehicle the other 80-90% of the time, pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton for relatively short trips is perfectly fine.

I drive and own not only ONE 3/4 ton, I have THREE 3/4 ton trucks and they ARE used for "daily drivers"..

I don't call getting 15mpg-16mpg as "terrible unladen mileage" either for a 6.2 gas engine and in a 6000 lb empty truck.

Even 1/2 tons get only a couple of MPG better empty than a 3/4 ton which in reality makes the fuel mileage argument pretty much a moot point. And when loaded (towing) the 1/2 tons do not get any better mileage and sometimes even worse mileage.

I recall back in the 1970's, 80's and even into the early 90s when pickup trucks barely got 8mpg-9mpg empty and automobiles averaged 12 mpg-16 mpg..

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Most everything's been said, but I'll my .2 worth.
Not to be blunt but it's reality check time.
Bigger truck or a much smaller trailer.
That TT will be north of 9600 lbs loaded up. @37' long there's no way that any 1/2 ton will be able to handle that TT unless conditions are perfect.
I've towed 9500 lbs with a Ram 2500 and a 3500. Both CC LB. No way on earth would I ever think about towing my TT with a 1/2 ton.
The 1st time a semi comes up beside you and takes 3-4 minutes to get by, you'll be pulling over at the next off ramp to change your underwear.
Here's one on a lot in CA. 8598 lb UVW. Thats with no batteries or propane.

https://www.trailerhitchrv.com/product/new-2021-grand-design-imagine-3250bh-1323219-29

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Diamond c wrote:
Since you just got a new truck if it was me Iโ€™d put a set of over load springs and heavy duty shocks. I think that you have plenty of motor and transmission, you just need a little more suspension.

That is nothing more than putting "lipstick on a pig".

Watched my Dad do that more than once with his tow vehicles, for the money and time he wasted he could have bought a lot of fully loaded more capable vehicles over the years for less than all of the aftermarket upgrade junk and repairs he did..

Moving up to a 3/4 ton platform gets you a stouter frame, stouter springs, stouter axles, stouter brakes, stouter suspension (stronger springs with higher spring rates with less sag), stouter transmission (on some brands) and with some brands you get a vehicle which is designed from ground up for commercial use with longer life with heavy loads/use.

OP already has a new vehicle but has not bought trailer, best bet now is to cross this monster off the list and move on to a trailer weight better suited for the vehicle without the need to slap on a bunch of bandaids and lipstick..

This ain't kiddy world and bumper car rides here, we are talking with big heavy things that when it goes wrong can and will not only hurt people but KILL them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Diamond c wrote:

This^^^.
"Ideally", it will be a bit heavy for the truck. Realistically it will definitely be too heavy for the stock rear suspension.
But I have done and do more than that with half tons. Aint broke one in half yet, not even an axle issue, in the 30 years I've been towing stupid stuff with little trucks!
Hemi, 3.92s AND Etorque? It'll be a monster in the pulling department!

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Short answer. Yes, youโ€™re crazy to do that.
Back to basics:
Tow ratings are GCWR minus truck curb weight, full tank & 150# driver. IOW, your truck Load Capacity is part of the towing capacity.
So if you buy a TT at/near your factory tow rating, you have no payload left.
I recommend looking at the TT GVWR (figuring itโ€™s too easy to fill it up, unless itโ€™s a toy less toy hauler) and using that to help determine your choice TT.
Best method to determine available tongue weight on your truck is to load it up like for camping, people and all, throw in the WDH, and weigh it on a CAT Scale. Subtract that from your GVWR and thatโ€™s your remaining load capacity. Then on the choice TTs in the ranges you are looking, add 2-300# to the empty tongue weight for a closer to ready to camp value.
A non weighing option is to look at GVWR of TTs nearer 75-80% of your tow rating. Then crunch the numbers.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
phillyg wrote:
I looked at the trailer specs and I think you'd be maxed out, even if you load lightly. You might want to take a look at a fifthwheel.

Huh???

Travel trailers should have a hitch weight of around 12-15% of the loaded trailer weight.

5th wheels should be around 20-25% of the loaded trailer weight.

So if you keep the truck pretty much empty other than passengers and 5er hitch (which can easily push 200lb), you can handle about 1000lb hitch weight, so your max loaded weight would be on the order of 4000-5000lb trailer.

A 5er drastically reduces the trailer, this truck can handle.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV