Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Getting close to a TT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Getting close to a TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
blaczero

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I am taking delivery of my F350 tomorrow. I am looking to move pretty soon on a Rockwood 2911BS (~10k GVW). Playing a few dealers against each-other and doing pretty well with that.

Question(s):

- One dealer is throwing in a Husky Centerline hitch, is this worth it for $400 installed?
- No w/d hookup, should I be able to do this myself? I have worked in construction and am pretty handy.
- How important is the dealer I am buying from? Should I ask them particular questions?
- They all have a "starter kit" for about $200 (30a/50a adapters, sewer hose and some other stuff), should I bother with that or get all my own stuff?

Thanks!

Wiscampsin

Wisconsin USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The starter kit is usually low cost junk. You can probably do better on Amazon.

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This RV won’t fit in many state and federal campgrounds. If that’s ok with you, it looks nice.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as your getting real close to signing the deal , start fussing around and act like your gonna maybe not sign, whine about the price and want another grand knocked off, then settle for $500.bucks.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any good dealer would throw that starter kit in for zip !

Guy

drmopar

Discovery Bay

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Husky Centerline is a good hitch. I have had no problems with mine.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A reputable dealer that will give good after sale service and fight for you with manufacturers to get warranty work covered is worth more than any starter kit or hitch. Spend extra for that. Get the rest yourself.

On a side note, there is nothing “ultra lite” about that trailer. That’s just sales gimmick jargon. I have a similar sized tt and layout with a gvwr not much higher (8k) than that trailers empty weight.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

blaczero

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

A reputable dealer that will give good after sale service and fight for you with manufacturers to get warranty work covered is worth more than any starter kit or hitch. Spend extra for that. Get the rest yourself.

On a side note, there is nothing “ultra lite” about that trailer. That’s just sales gimmick jargon. I have a similar sized tt and layout with a gvwr not much higher (8k) than that trailers empty weight.

How do I determine which dealer that is? I realize the ultra lite is a joke (at 10k GVW), but found a lot of ppl saying Rockwood is a very good quality trailer. Which do you have?

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm unaware of any " quality built " trailer but some better than others......good news is you'll have no trouble pulling it.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

This RV won’t fit in many state and federal campgrounds. If that’s ok with you, it looks nice.

At 35' it will fit in at least some sites at 85% of federal and state campgrounds. You might need to book well ahead and do a bit more research but it shouldn't limit them too much. Now over 35' and you start to get a bit more limited, about 4-5% fewer campgrounds per foot of additional length.

It's actually why my next trailer is going to be around 35', I want to figure out if the wife and I can live in that length or if we'll need to figure out a different strategy for when I hope to go full time in a bit over 4 years (need to get the younger one graduated).

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Getting close to a TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.