Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: REFILL 1LB, lp BOTTLE ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> REFILL 1LB, lp BOTTLE ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I fill f one pound LP bottles off my 20 pounder will the drolp in pressure, due to volume increase be a concern? I do use metal sealed caps as a safety precaution. Anyone know the pressure of standard LP bottles/ Seems after filling a few the bigger bottle loses some pressure. Thanks,

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a number of how to videos on YouTube. I have not had much luck, but my DSL does it all the time. I have a small 5 lb (?) refillable tank that I connect with a hose to my portable devices.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have done it for years, and yes occasionaly a bottle will leak from the safety valve. By design thesebottles have a limited life expectancy.
I use a 5 gallon bucket as a holder when filling,
[image]
I have a gallon or so of water in the bucket to help stabilize it.
Leaving it upright will give you 1 lb bottles with only about 1/4 lb of propane. Inverting allows liquid product to be transferred.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Have done it for years, and yes occasionaly a bottle will leak from the safety valve. By design thesebottles have a limited life expectancy.
I use a 5 gallon bucket as a holder when filling,
[image]
I have a gallon or so of water in the bucket to help stabilize it.
Leaving it upright will give you 1 lb bottles with only about 1/4 lb of propane. Inverting allows liquid product to be transferred.

Use this method and put the small bottle in the freezer over night before filling. The cold helps get more liquid in, with the large bottle upside down it liquid transferring.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would invest in this:

Flameking

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

If I fill f one pound LP bottles off my 20 pounder will the drolp in pressure, due to volume increase be a concern? I do use metal sealed caps as a safety precaution. Anyone know the pressure of standard LP bottles/ Seems after filling a few the bigger bottle loses some pressure. Thanks,

The pressure in the 20 lb cylinder (and the 1 lb cylinder, for that matter) do not depend on the amount of propane in it, since the propane is in liquid form and the pressure is the vapor pressure of the propane. It does depend on the temperature of the propane in the container.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. You guys are so smart. I learned a few things here.

missnmountains

Southwest Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been doing this for years. Put the one pound in the freezer over night. Using the adapter attach the frozen one pound to the 20 pound. Invert the 20 pound and open the valve. One pound will fill. Close the valve on the twenty pound and remove one pound.

Ken

2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was going to try that, but just take the 20 lb with me. Easier and i can hook a few things up to it. So, fire pit, grill, griddle. And no worries on changing tanks while im set up. I do bring 1 small bottle incase.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

The pressure in the 20 lb cylinder (and the 1 lb cylinder, for that matter) do not depend on the amount of propane in it, since the propane is in liquid form and the pressure is the vapor pressure of the propane. It does depend on the temperature of the propane in the container.

missnmountains wrote:

We have been doing this for years. Put the one pound in the freezer over night. Using the adapter attach the frozen one pound to the 20 pound. Invert the 20 pound and open the valve. One pound will fill. Close the valve on the twenty pound and remove one pound.

Both statements are 100% correct !

Keeping the 1 lb tank in an ice bath during the transfer works as well as freezing it.

Pouring boiling water over the 20lb tank, or leave it sit in direct sun for a couple of hours on a warm day, will raised the pressure in that tank.

You only need about 10F difference to make the vapor move from one tank to the other. Inverting the 20lb tank doesn't really help.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> REFILL 1LB, lp BOTTLE ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.