cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

e450 cruise control problems

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
Driving thru El paso with control on and 60 mph. Engine light goes on , lose power and everything shuts down. Pull over, wait few minutes, restart engine and go on my way WITHOUT cruse control. This is 3rd time in 4 yrs this happened. google problem and results indicate that a cruise control module may be the problem. Anyone else experience the problem? In past I just wait few miles and then again use control with no problem. Suggestions would be appreciated. Last time this happened, talked with ford truck service in my area and they never heard of this situation.
Kennyg
8 REPLIES 8

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
2006 is PCM controlled, and simply uses the electric throttle body for speed control. You likely have some stiction in the throttle body, which should trigger the check engine light. It would definitely be useful to pull the codes, in case itโ€™s just a dirty MAF. Although itโ€™s all part of the same assembly. They are not a lifetime item. Itโ€™s very common to need to new electronic throttle body after around the 10-year mark.

Thank you for all the info. will check with ford tech when I return to green bay.
Kennyg

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
2006 is PCM controlled, and simply uses the electric throttle body for speed control. You likely have some stiction in the throttle body, which should trigger the check engine light. It would definitely be useful to pull the codes, in case itโ€™s just a dirty MAF. Although itโ€™s all part of the same assembly. They are not a lifetime item. Itโ€™s very common to need to new electronic throttle body after around the 10-year mark.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
There is no Cruise Control Module on the E-series. It's either vacuum-controlled (pre-2005) or PCM controller (2005+, when the TorqueShift came out).

A loss of cruise control combined with a check engine light on a vacuum-servo system would make me suspect a large vacuum leak. It could be the servo itself, but could also be a stuck evap solenoid, or possible even the vacuum hose coming off the intake manifold. Are you able to get air to blow out the dash-vents?

Yes. Am able to get air thru the dash vents. My unit is a 2006 with a 6.8 liter engine. This problem has occurred at least 3 times over past 4yrs. Could this indicate a servo or stuck evap solenoid? After each occurrence, I've shut motor off. Then started use again with no problem for almost a year or more.
Kennyg

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
carringb wrote:
There is no Cruise Control Module on the E-series.

Depends on age ! My '98 has a separate module.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Mine does not. The CC is vacuum servo operated with a vacuum solenoid PWM controlled by the PCM.
2015 Ford Focus ST

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
There is no Cruise Control Module on the E-series.

Depends on age ! My '98 has a separate module.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
There is no Cruise Control Module on the E-series. It's either vacuum-controlled (pre-2005) or PCM controller (2005+, when the TorqueShift came out).

A loss of cruise control combined with a check engine light on a vacuum-servo system would make me suspect a large vacuum leak. It could be the servo itself, but could also be a stuck evap solenoid, or possible even the vacuum hose coming off the intake manifold. Are you able to get air to blow out the dash-vents?
2015 Ford Focus ST

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'd start by getting or borrowing a code reader and seeing what codes were recorded in the ECU when the engine light went on. Maybe it's cruise control related, maybe it's just coincidence and nothing more that the cruise control was on.

One fairly common cause of cruise control problems on these Fords is the brake pressure switch that disengages the cruise control; the seals in the switch can wear out over time and brake fluid work its way in and cause problems with the switch contacts. I think the usual result is the cruise control just doesn't work, but not the engine light coming on. (It can also lead to fires, even when the vehicle is parked and turned off; there was a wide-ranging recall to prevent that from happening.)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
What engine ? What model year ?