cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hunting Island or Huntington Beach

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you had to choose one, which park would you go to? Hunting Island SP or Huntington Beach SP? I know they are not necessarily apples to apples, but when time is limited and rather than a day or so at each spend some time at just one.
We have been to both, but it has been years ago and prior to having our RV so we have a different set of needs/wants. Besides getting older and enjoy relaxing a lot more.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
7 REPLIES 7

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Never been to Hunting Island,but we love Huntington Beach. It has open and wooded sites. It has FHU and water and electric. They have a great nature program with walks on the beach or sessions in the lodge. They have a small store and it's a short walk to the beach. The home of the Huntington's is neat to tour and next door is Brookgreen Gardens. We enjoyed eating at Drunken Jacks which is just up the road in Murrel's Inlet. The food is good and you can watch the wildlife in the bay.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
HBSP or MBSP are our two favorite beach state parks. HISP was our favorite until the two hurricanes devastated the beach side CG. We never really did like the off beach CG but you might.

Either of are favorites are close to a bunch of good restaurants, entertainment of all types, golf, and both have great beaches. Both now have more full hookups.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both are great parks. For swimming I think Huntington Beach is the best in the state. Everything located within a single entrance to the park. Close to good restaurants and close enough to MB for the attractions.

Hunting Island is much more isolated. About 80 sites are now in the ocean. When you first arrive to campground and see all the tress missing it is a little disturbing. Once you get in deeper it is fine. Park is divided into 2 entrances, though you can hike/bike back and forth. Camping is one entrance everything else down further. This past year the non camping side closed a couple times due to flooding.

If kids are involved, Huntington Beach is better. For quiet camping we now do Edisto Island at the Oak campground.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't been to Island SP in many years, but it is the only place in my whole life where I have seen a Painted Bunting, so I would go back in a heart beat.

Guy

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like them both. We'll try for HBSP in winter or cooler weather or HISP in summer for the breezes.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We try to go to both a couple times a year, grandson lives in beaufort SC. If you can get FHU at Huntington Beach stay there a while, if not I would go to hunting island.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hunting Island.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad