cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steering wheel vibration

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a video of a test drive on a 2015 F/W Bounder, and noticed the steering wheel had quite a bit of vibration traveling down a smooth highway.

I have also heard that this is normal on the F53 frames for the class A gassers. Some even say that this vibration contributes to driver fatigue after about 4 to 5 hours on the road.

So, my question is...Is this normal for the F53's and is it really an issue?

We are still looking for a (used) class A, but for a few trips each year, I really can't justify the extra $$$'s for a diesel pusher. Not to mention, most are forty feet long, and not a great fit for state park camping.

Thanks....Skip
KillingTime
12 REPLIES 12

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
rk911 wrote:

while that might not be the case all the time it did happen to me one day in the summer of 2019. i was returning home from an errand in our '46 Willys CJ2A. each time i slowed or stopped i felt a vibration from the right front. it didn't happen while accelerating but rather than head home i went to the garage that does all my work. the service mgr is a buddy so he hopped in and we took a drive around the block to show him what was happening. as i slowed to turn back into the shop's driiveway, this happened...

the resulting force nearly tossed us out of the vehicle. we were able to hang on only because we were doing < 5mph. had i not diverted to the garage it might have happened while i was running ~40mph and i might not have been able to hang on.

oh...the problem was a broken cotter pin, likely original to the vehicle. i had them all replaced and iinspected each year.

Do you ever have any concerns about your bottom side sitting on top of the fuel tank? Shhhhh, don't tell Ralph Nader. GRIN.

Richard

lol. i don't smoke. when my shop was disassembling it for restoration we found the gas tank was riddled with numerous small pinholes likely from rust. my sense of smell is poor so i was glad i didn't smoke,
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III

At least the lug nuts are still on tight..:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

while that might not be the case all the time it did happen to me one day in the summer of 2019. i was returning home from an errand in our '46 Willys CJ2A. each time i slowed or stopped i felt a vibration from the right front. it didn't happen while accelerating but rather than head home i went to the garage that does all my work. the service mgr is a buddy so he hopped in and we took a drive around the block to show him what was happening. as i slowed to turn back into the shop's driiveway, this happened...

the resulting force nearly tossed us out of the vehicle. we were able to hang on only because we were doing < 5mph. had i not diverted to the garage it might have happened while i was running ~40mph and i might not have been able to hang on.

oh...the problem was a broken cotter pin, likely original to the vehicle. i had them all replaced and iinspected each year.

Do you ever have any concerns about your bottom side sitting on top of the fuel tank? Shhhhh, don't tell Ralph Nader. GRIN.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, always insisted that a vibrating steering wheel on any vehicle required immediate investigation, and if you HAD to drive it in to the shop, do so no faster than 30 mph, because some of the possible causes could result in a wheel falling off.
Besides those causes mentioned above, add ball joints about to separate and loose/broken lug nuts.

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, always insisted that a vibrating steering wheel on any vehicle required immediate investigation, and if you HAD to drive it in to the shop, do so no faster than 30 mph, because some of the possible causes could result in a wheel falling off.

Besides those causes mentioned above, add ball joints about to separate and loose/broken lug nuts.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our current F53 had a slight speed sensitive steering vibration when I test drove it before buying. While checking out the tire dates, I also saw marks where a wheel weight had been lost on one wheel. When I mentioned the vibration to the seller he knocked $500 off the price. After we bought the rig, I pulled the rest of the weights and added balancing beads instead. Haven't had a steering vibration since...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
wjschill wrote:
I saw a video of a test drive on a 2015 F/W Bounder, and noticed the steering wheel had quite a bit of vibration traveling down a smooth highway.

I have also heard that this is normal on the F53 frames for the class A gassers. Some even say that this vibration contributes to driver fatigue after about 4 to 5 hours on the road.

So, my question is...Is this normal for the F53's and is it really an issue?

Thanks....Skip

NO! If properly weighted/adjusted/balanced/serviced/repaired your F53 will ride smooth as glass. (mine does) If you have issues,. . . . well, see above.

Chum lee

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a coach built on an F-53 chassis. Never any vibration and handled as good as my Freightliner. Whoever is telling you they all vibrate, probably never drove one.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the steering wheel is shaking it's due to a shifted belt in a tire and /or an out of balance tire or a bent wheel. My 2012 has no vibration. If they are maintained properly they will not have issues.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 2007 Ford chassis & have no steering wheel vibration. I have installed Centramatics on all 4 wheels. May want to look into them.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
There are many things that can cause a steering wheel vibration. I doubt that it is common with ALL F53 chassis RV's. Wheel out of round, wheel out of balance, loose wheel bearing, bad shock, loose/worn suspension components, alignment, loose steering box, etc.

+1. weโ€™re on our second F53. no steering whl vibration on either.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many things that can cause a steering wheel vibration. I doubt that it is common with ALL F53 chassis RV's. Wheel out of round, wheel out of balance, loose wheel bearing, bad shock, loose/worn suspension components, alignment, loose steering box, etc.