cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Collecting 5th wheel Tow Data, just for fun, 2000 mile trip

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a data geek. So for fun I've set-up an app to allow me to collect tow data while I make a trip across country this next week. I will post the results here when I return from the trip (around Jan 4th or 5th ish). I am leaving in the morning (Dec-27th) from North West Arkansas, and will travel I-49 South, then I-40 East to Memphis, then I-22 to Birmingham, then I-59 to Gadsden AL (area). Later in the week I will travel to Georgia (I-75 to I-285) and into Atlanta to visit family. On the return trip I will travel I-75 to I-24 to Nashville, and then finally returning to NWA via I-40 West and I-49 North.
With all the interstate driving, I thought it would be fun to collect data to determine the most popular tow vehicles (plus it will help time go by while on the road!). I will take note of every truck I see pulling a 5th wheel, and enter the counts into the app (the app is set-up to just tap and it will add the count).

Criteria:
5th wheel towing only, and for personal recreation use only (no hotshot runners, or tag along campers, as this would need to be another data set on it's own).
I will measure Ram (5.9 and 6.7)
I will measure Chevy Duramax (noting the LBZ separately)
I will measure all Ford models (7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7)
I will measure anything over 3500 in a lump sum (4500's, Top kicks, Freightliners, etc.)
I will lump all overloaded 1/2 tons into the same group

I am pretty good at distinguishing truck models/years. The Rams are easy, as are the LBZs from other years of the Duramax. The Fords can get a bit tricky, but I can normally tell the difference if I get a good look at them.

I have posted a pic of the app I have set up. If I have failed to include anything, let me know. I will post the results when I return.
90 REPLIES 90

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I had a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 TD until 2016 when I finally got a Ram Cummins. I put over 250,000 miles on that Ford and only had to replace the transmission and differential gear. The engine was bullet proof with no repairs at all except religious routine maintenance even with a tuner applied "towing tune" on it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

I did several upgrade to my old 99 7.3. DP tuner, 4" exhaust turbo back. AIS air intake, along with the 6.0 intercooler ,6.0 transmission cooler, big reason I probably never really had any big problems with my 4R100 transmission ,kept it a lot cooler towing a big fifth wheel . Plus gauges to monitor ETG's transmission, and turbo boost. I knew several that had to replace their transmission ,got them hot too many times . It just didn't have the power to handle a big fifth wheel in the mountains.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, the 7.3L Super Duties are sweet, especially with the ZF6 manual transmission; they are just a great combo. The resale value of these trucks speaks volumes.

I looked hard for a 1999-2002 F350 CC 4x4 DRW Lariat prior to buying my Ram but they are very tough to find in great condition. Most that have them know what they have and aren't interesting in selling.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
vcv wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Bought ,and drove a new early 99 Superduty 7.3 from July 1998 to March 2014, nearly 16 years. I knew the years of all the 7.3 's , 6.0 .and the 6.4 ,seen them come ,and go. Lost interest when they came out with the 6.7 in 2011. Over the years I have forgotten one year to the next on these trucks now, but mainly not interested anymore . Especially trying to drive down a freeway while taking a truck survey :B

Wow.. 16 years! How many miles did you rack up on the 7.3? Any major repairs?
I loved my 7.3, had a it for a few years back in the late 90's. Never any major problems, other than it loved to eat glow plugs.

No major repairs, one set of glow plugs, and I tore the front end apart replaced the ball joints ,tie rod ends etc. Did my own maintenance on it, it did have an intermittent shifting problem , had a new valve body for it ,but decided to sell it before I got it replaced .

I would probably still have it ,it had low miles. Just not enough power for 38' fifth wheel, bought a new in 2014 3500 Ram Cummins 6.7 solved the power problem. ๐Ÿ™‚ To be honest I preferred that old 99 .

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I had a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 TD until 2016 when I finally got a Ram Cummins. I put over 250,000 miles on that Ford and only had to replace the transmission and differential gear. The engine was bullet proof with no repairs at all except religious routine maintenance even with a tuner applied "towing tune" on it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

That's awesome. I'm sure someone else is still on the road with it today. The 7.3 was great for it's time, but would be a little sluggish against most trucks today. I'm sure you are enjoying towing with the Cummins.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Bought ,and drove a new early 99 Superduty 7.3 from July 1998 to March 2014, nearly 16 years. I knew the years of all the 7.3 's , 6.0 .and the 6.4 ,seen them come ,and go. Lost interest when they came out with the 6.7 in 2011. Over the years I have forgotten one year to the next on these trucks now, but mainly not interested anymore . Especially trying to drive down a freeway while taking a truck survey :B

Wow.. 16 years! How many miles did you rack up on the 7.3? Any major repairs?
I loved my 7.3, had a it for a few years back in the late 90's. Never any major problems, other than it loved to eat glow plugs.

vcv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why a few guys on here are determined to attack the data and outright try and discredit it, but I know many other guys out there who are capable of identifying types of trucks, brands, years models, and the engine under the hood. Heck, my wife can tell the difference between many of them.
All the folks on here hanging their hat on the argument that one can not tell the difference of trucks approaching from the opposite lane, at closing speeds of 120 or 140 mph, etc. that's only a small part of the data collection. You conveniently overlook the trucks in the same lanes, the one's who pass, or the one's passed. And the one's fueling up at the pumps, or the one's at the campgrounds, etc.

BTW.. My personal tow vehicle is a 2015 RAM CTD 2500 4x4. I tow a 5er, 32ft, around 10.5 loaded. I have owned all of the Big-3 trucks. I've owned the Ford 7.3, 6.0 (bullet proofed), Duramax (LLY), and Ram (6.7). I've also owned and towed tag alongs with a 2500 burb and an Excursion (6.0, bullet proofed). I love all of them, I do not really have a favorite. I do most of my own repair work and maintenance, which is one of the reasons I'm currently in the Ram. I can pretty much make any repair on the Cummins without pulling the cab or engine, etc., and I love the low RPM torque. My perfect dream truck would be a GMC Denali 3500 DRW with the 6.7 Cummins in front of the Allison trans. I own a Ram only b/c of the Cummins. But as I said, I love all of them, and each of them have their own separate issues and benefits. I love trucks of all types and consider all of them a work of art in their own way.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
I am always more curious about the brand of fifth wheels more then anything. Seeing if its the same brand I have. When I had my Montana fifth wheels , it was not hard to tell if you saw a Montana coming, pretty easy to see. I still pay attention to the Montana fifth wheels as they have changed over the years , but I couldn't tell you what year they are :B

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Easy, the 7.3L badge is slightly shorter and has a black background and the 6.0L has a silver background. They are actually quite different when looking at them. Also, the mirror backs are different, and most FX4 trucks are 6.0L trucks. There are ways to tell if you know these trucks (I had a 2003 F-350). :B
And you can see these minor differences at 100-150 feet apart, and closing speeds of 120-140 mph in a quick glance? As the Brits would say: Pull the other one. ๐Ÿ™‚

My point exactly ,but hey its just for fun .

Yes, most of the time I can and my 10 year old son can as well (I think sometimes better than me!). :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Nice job vcv!

And... I do understand what "just for fun" means...

Is the fun just before he runs off the road ,or after :B

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
vcv wrote:
Okay folks, here are the results. The raw data is within the image file, and I have consolidated the data below:

Ford: Total of 40
(6.7's dominated the Ford category, no surprise. It was good to see some 6.0's out there, bullet proofed I'm sure. I did not identify a single 7.3, but I know they are still out there!)

Ram/Dodge: Total of 34
(Obviously 6.7's dominated. Most of the 5.9's I identified looked to be well kept and towing older 5rs)

Chev Duramax: Total of 25
(Most all of the Dmax were late model rigs, mostly single axle. I identified 4 LBZs. I have an affinity for the LBZ's, even though I have never owned one)

Topkick/Freightliner: Total of 3
(2 Freightliners and 1 Topkick)

1/2 Ton's towing 5th Wheel: Total of 4
(I changed my data collection on this one to reflect any 1/2 ton towing a 5th wheel, rather than what I feel is "overloaded". There are a few folks on here who seem to be hypersensitive to the issue, so I'll keep that data and opinion to myself.
Of the 1/2 tons I saw, two were Ford and two were GM, all late model. One was at a love travel stop fueling up, one was in a campground, and the other 2 were on the road)

Are these trucks in passing ,going the other way , how do you tell the difference from an early 6.0 to 7.3. I have learned that the only way to tell some of the earlier 7.3 Suoerduties to the later 7.3 is the badge on the front fender, the early ones were in the front of the fender the later were lower rear part of the fender, as were the 6.0 Also got to be be quick in passing to be able to tell the early 99 Superduty 7.3 from the V10, nearly the same badge on the front of the front fender. Just curious

Easy, the 7.3L badge is slightly shorter and has a black background and the 6.0L has a silver background. They are actually quite different when looking at them. Also, the mirror backs are different, and most FX4 trucks are 6.0L trucks. There are ways to tell if you know these trucks (I had a 2003 F-350). :B

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
blofgren wrote:
And you can see these minor differences at 100-150 feet apart, and closing speeds of 120-140 mph in a quick glance? As the Brits would say: Pull the other one. ๐Ÿ™‚

My point exactly ,but hey its just for fun .

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job vcv!

And... I do understand what "just for fun" means...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"