cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turning Point pin boxes on new campers!

Rock_in
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at new 5th wheels and have discovered manufactures are using Lippert turning point pin boxes that cannot be changed or adjusted. I run air bag hitch to smooth out ride. Very limited, to no adjustment available. Our last two 5th wheels we leveled camper by raising pin box to lower camper to level. Height problems had me walk away from two 5th wheels due to no options on pin boxes. Why would manufactures limit RVers choices like that? Any solutions or experience with Turning Point pin boxes on newer 5th wheels known?
16 REPLIES 16

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My GD Reflection 150 series has one of those. Only one set of adjustment holes- I think and no other pin box will fit in it's place. Stupid design...
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
It's hard enough to match a truck, hitch, and trailer without being stuck with a non-adjustable hitch. I am nose high with mine now due to the truck height and am not a happy camper even though I have a fully adjustable hitch.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Shal36
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t do it. It will really limit your options to resolve issues with your current truck or the next truck you buy.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the trailer includes a feature you don't like.... move on to a different model or manufacturer.
For many just having a lippert frame would be a no go.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
I would not purchase a 5th wheel with that pinbox, due to the wedge insert prying on your hitch head at every turn, and you can only hitch up if your straight in line with the rv.
There are many other choices for short bed trucks beside this one.

I guess it goes without saying, but you do not have to use the wedge and the Turning Point feature. I have mine locked down, and not using the wedge and it functions as a regular pin box.

I agree a big limitation is the lack of vertical adjustment. However most 5th wheel hitches allow for some.

I've had a slider hitch on two trailers over the past 12 years. I've never once had the need to use it. I trust most folks know how much stress it puts on the trailer's suspension and the tires when one turns a trailer 90 degrees. I barely trust my spring hangers going straight down the road now.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Rock_in wrote:
Makers have written off a small RVer segment who want short and light fifth wheels.

They did not write anybody off, they went with the cheapest option possible where they could throw the most $ at the bottom line like they do with everything, and it usually involves Lippert. Most have the same MO and if you think they don't your living in Fantasy land. Bottom line is they could care less if you purchase as they know someone else will.

Rock_in
Explorer
Explorer
Had a phone conversation with Forest River Rep for a brand they make. The pinboxes are indeed not changeable or adjustable verically. they can be replaced by dealer but only with Turning Point OEM replacement. Lippert calculated an average height measurement for pin box plate. On one brand with camper level-49.5"(my tape measure from ground). With 17 inch hitch (b&w low setting), my STOCK dodge is 53". letting my truck down to level camper means truck not level. Makers have written off a small RVer segment who want short and light fifth wheels. Unless of course you pull a 9000lb with a 1/2 ton truck. Indeed possible, as that is what these new short 5th wheels are made for with non adjustable hitch, but 1. not buying new truck and 2. pull that thru mountains with 1/2 ton. B&W, Curt and others do allow wedge on specific hitches. Not single point hitch due to stresses though.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not purchase a 5th wheel with that pinbox, due to the wedge insert prying on your hitch head at every turn, and you can only hitch up if your straight in line with the rv.
There are many other choices for short bed trucks beside this one.

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like the turning point has limited vertical adjustment. Is the one on the trailer you are looking at in the upper or lower mounting holes.

The nonstandard pin box mounting makes no sense to me.

Trailer life article that has a good photo of the pin box.
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The Turning Point looks like a PITA to maintain and grease. How often does it require the bearing to be regreased?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Rock_in wrote:
Cougar kitchen storage (ie pantry) was an issue for wife (happy wife, happy life). Any concerns in that way in your experience. We are planning a return trip to Keystone considering turning point issues.

Yes, that is an issue. However, for just the two of us we find that the cabinets and drawers are more than enough storage space, once you get organized. We had a pantry in our old Chaparral and it was nice to have. DW is pretty picky about things and this was her only issue, but having been on multiple trips now she says all is OK! :B
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Rock_in
Explorer
Explorer
Cougar kitchen storage (ie pantry) was an issue for wife (happy wife, happy life). Any concerns in that way in your experience. We are planning a return trip to Keystone considering turning point issues.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Rock_in wrote:
Unfortunatly manufacture will not ok removal of pin box and Lippert made Turning Point Pin boxes oem only. They will not match any other pin box as they will not bolt up. I am perplexed due to our search being for shorter lighter 5th wheels. After further searches I found major brands beginning this trend.

The Cougar Half Ton Series are 'shorter and lighter' - as you want, and they have a Lippert pin box - it has RotaFlex, which is a rubber cushioning at the hitch point. We love it.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Rock_in
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunatly manufacture will not ok removal of pin box and Lippert made Turning Point Pin boxes oem only. They will not match any other pin box as they will not bolt up. I am perplexed due to our search being for shorter lighter 5th wheels. After further searches I found major brands beginning this trend.