Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2021 Cummins 1075 lbft peak torque at 1356 rpm
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2021 Cummins 1075 lbft peak torque at 1356 rpm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roy, now that you’ve made your spread sheets is it a fairly simple matter to change the polynomial to get the values to reflect a peak HP of 420 instead of 430? ... I might have initially posted a wrong torque curve before I recognized my mistake and changed it. Because the peak HP is 420 instead of 430 the 10 speed advantage will be considerably less.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good grief...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Good grief...

[emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Good grief...

Yup, lot's of confusion. I'm not sure what happened. Immediately after posting my torque curve reflecting 430 peak HP I checked Ram's website and saw they are advertising 420 HP, so, I changed my torque graph within about an hour. I don't know if Roy got a copy of my graph before I changed it or if he was thinking 430 HP from other sources. You can find claims anywhere from 400 to 430 HP for the 2021 Cummins.

Edit: I'm almost certain that even Ram's website was initially showing 430 HP for the HO engine but they currently are advertising 420 HP.

* This post was edited 01/10/21 11:52am by 4x4ord *

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But, who's ***** is larger at the top of the hill? I mean, that's essentially what we are arguing at this point, isn't it? All 3 pickup trucks can haul to the top of Ike (which I've never once driven and may only do it once or twice in my life, after I've retired and am doing cross country trips) within a very small window of each other.

So, once all three are at the top of the hill, we're only measuring size, right?

Goodness gracious, is it camping season yet? Only 4.5 weeks until my Florida trip...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/21 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fuel economy advantage the 10 speed has over the 6 speed is negligible .... many of the scenarios we considered there was no advantage and when there was it was at the very most 4-5% in a very specific case.

If I was getting a Ram I certainly wouldn't be waiting for a 10 speed.
Here is a chart that shows the advantage a 10 speed behind the Cummins would give over leaving it as a 6 speed:
[image]

* This post was last edited 01/11/21 07:01am by 4x4ord *   View edit history

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/21 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't time to put this thread out to pasture?

Ford Edge ST Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 335HP and 380 Lb Ft - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome. Retired and enjoying it!

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Good grief...

Yup, lot's of confusion. I'm not sure what happened. Immediately after posting my torque curve reflecting 430 peak HP I checked Ram's website and saw they are advertising 420 HP, so, I changed my torque graph within about an hour. I don't know if Roy got a copy of my graph before I changed it or if he was thinking 430 HP from other sources. You can find claims anywhere from 400 to 430 HP for the 2021 Cummins.

Edit: I'm almost certain that even Ram's website was initially showing 430 HP for the HO engine but they currently are advertising 420 HP.

Let's me try re-shaping the equation for 420 hp. I too was confused, some sites quoted 430 hp, some 420.

I don't believe the official specs are on Ram's site yet, but I do see 420 stated on Cummins' site:

https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/20........duty-legendary-pickup-engine-better-ever

What we really need is the official tq / hp curve. If the curve has flat hp plateau like we see on the marine QSB, then a 6 spd vs 10 spd would make very little difference in flat out performance.

In fact, tonight I'll try it for fun with the QSB curve. Let's call it a lightly modded / chipped truck - i.e. programmer in "tow" setting. I bet it'll make absolutely 0 difference (engine hovers @ constant hp during an upshift)

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/21 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Welcome to the internet, folks!

We all have our kicks. For some it's finding the most scenic route, and discussing counter-top options of the latest 5th wheel.

For some it's playing Cummins / Ram engineer wannabe when it's cold and rainy [emoticon]

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Me Again wrote:

Welcome to the internet, folks!

We all have our kicks. For some it's finding the most scenic route, and discussing counter-top options of the latest 5th wheel.

For some it's playing Cummins / Ram engineer wannabe when it's cold and rainy [emoticon]

Where is the like button? Chris

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2021 Cummins 1075 lbft peak torque at 1356 rpm
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.