Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Enlarging my parking for the motorhome...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Enlarging my parking for the motorhome...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since moving to our new home in Payson AZ I've been parking our 24' Class C along the south edge of our concrete driveway {the ability to park the toys on our new .57 acre property being a huge benefit}. Unfortunately with the coach there our access to the attached garage is somewhat restricted. To gain more clearance I had been trying to come up with some more space but there is a fairly steep slope that falls away from the edge of the concrete driveway.

I finally came up with a solution. I dug down 3 to 6" along the south edge of the slab and framed the opening with 8', 6 X 6" beams creating a "box" for lack of a better term that was 24' long and 3'wide. I secured these beams by drilling and driving 2' pieces of 3/8" rebar 18" into the ground and tying the beams together with steel straps and brackets.

I had to remove nearly 2 tons of compacted clay with an assortment of some fairly large rocks that were embedded on the slope. The last step was to backfill my "box" with 1.5 tons of gravel which I compacted by driving over with the Rzr SXS. I still need to do some additional compaction and wet it all down a couple of times but once the passenger side tires are sitting on 2 X 10's the coach should be dead level with the existing slab.

Here is a shot of the finished project:

[image]

As you can imagine this was a lot of very physical labor for this 69 year old but I have succeeded in improving my garage access. Here is a shot of the coach in its new parking location. As you can see the the garage has a much easier entrance and though smallish handles my new Can Am Spyder along with my brides car:

[image]
[emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/01/21 08:45am by Desert Captain *

Lwiddis

Death Valley NP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks terrific!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you did a great job! Hopefully it will stand the test of time!

Hard work is good for everyone, any age! Just takes a little longer, but knowing you are still capable, is a great ego booster!

Jerry

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you check local ordinances regarding parking RV's in the front yard?

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice! Beautiful looking area. I assume you are up in the mountains a little bit there?

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water is your friend when it comes to compaction. Good job!

2014 Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD 6.5' box SRW Denali Duramax
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, we live in Payson Arizona which is a smallish town, probably with less than 20,000 people. We are at 5,000' but the Mogollon Rim is nearly 8,000' and just 30 miles up highway 260. As far as zoning or parking restrictions that just does not happen up here. Probably 7 out of 10 homes have an RV, a couple of utility trailers not mention ATV's/UTV's {we have my Honda Ridgeline, my brides Toyota Solara, the Can AM Spyder, our Class C, the Rzr SXS and my cargo trailer}.

The best part is that they all reside on our property, no more shelling out $100+ a month for storage and being told when and for how long I could park in front of my home

When we paved our driveways there were no permits required, up here it's your land and Zoning is almost an urban legend. [emoticon] One of my major motivations for the move was to get as far away from an HOA as possible... and 175 miles seems to be working.

Here are a couple shots of my 17 Ridgeline, GVWR of 1,477# loaded with 2,100# of gravel. The loader at the gravel yard got a little carried away when I asked for half a ton. I still had to go back for another half ton as the 2,100# wasn't enough and the truck came through it all just fine. Having a tail gate that wings out as well as dropping down enabled me to just back it up over the hole and drop the gravel using just a rake, no shoveling involved.

[image]

[image]
[emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/01/21 10:15am by Desert Captain *

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well...there goes that grocery getter label!!

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good but the only thing i would have done different is skip the straps and add more rebar. Straps kinda look "RedNeck". [emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/01/21 05:13pm by Cummins12V98 *

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ridgeline is a a lot of truck, plenty of payload, 18" wheels, AWD that rides and handles like an Accord with pretty much the same economy/performance.

"Straps kinds look "RedNeck".

Hey, I resemble that remark. [emoticon] Actually I am a liberal redneck... I get to annoy everybody!

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Enlarging my parking for the motorhome...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.