cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mt Rushmore and Yellostone National Park

Tweeter
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestions for RV Parks around Mt Rushmore and Jackson Wyoming. Will be traveling in late July and early August. First stop Mt Rushmore then to Yellowstone National Park. An RV park about 1 hour from Yellowstone is acceptable. We full time in a 42ft Motorhome. We need full hookups and will not be able to stay in a national park unless fully hooked up. Thank you for any suggestions you can provide.
20 REPLIES 20

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Fishing Bridge just announced they will not open in 2021 at all, blame it on Covid
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
RLS7201 wrote:
Henry's Lake State Park About 15 miles west of Yellowstone's west gate. Gorgeous view, 15 minute drive to the park. Reasonable fees.

Richard

X2 loved the view and it beats the crowded, packed in Grizzly RV Park in price.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
gvisnic wrote:
I agree with Rafter Bar J and the Grizzly Rv Park in W yellowstone

Ditto here!
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Henry's Lake State Park About 15 miles west of Yellowstone's west gate. Gorgeous view, 15 minute drive to the park. Reasonable fees.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Custer's Gulch in Custer. We stayed there this past June for 7 nights and it was really pleasant and there's plenty of Big Rig spots. Lots of space between sites, which was a plus for us with our dogs. Gets very dark at night (a positive). We'd stay there again. Only big negative was the cell service wasn't great with Verizon, and the wifi wasn't good either. Satellite worked fine. If you have dogs, there is a dog park that was almost always empty right on the east end of town in Custer. Our dogs enjoyed the "leash free" time there.

Rafter J Bar looked nice too, and it has more amenities like a swimming pool (also means it attracts more children in certain areas of the campground). It costs more than Custer's Gulch but the location, IMO, is a bit better as it's slightly more centrally located. We'd consider staying there sometime though.

The KOA near Rushmore looked like my worst nightmare when we drove through it. Most of the sites are crammed in like sardines, kids running and screaming everywhere...just no. If you have kiddos though, it probably would be fun. Gave us anxiety just driving through in our dually because it was so tight though.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I will follow this post as we are planning the same. We made reservations at Grizzly just outside of west Yellowstone. Stayed there many years ago. IMHO very spendy but nice. KOA close to Rushmore looks nice but also spenbdy
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Tweeter wrote:
Looking for suggestions for RV Parks around Mt Rushmore and Jackson Wyoming.

FHU's for Mt Rushmore and YNP and the Tetons - I'd suggest seeing if you can find anything available in Custer for Mt Rushmore - as it is in the Middle of Everything and if you Miss Custer SP and the Needles IMHO you will be missing much of the Black Hills. IMHO, Rafter J is a Family Park and not the optimum Choice for a Full timer ๐Ÿ™‚ There are many options but at this time for the Prime time of the Summer you need reservations and may be limited in your options. For Yellowstone - West Yellowstone is the only real Option as Cody is just too Far and Fishing Bridge will not be open this Summer!

Will be traveling in late July and early August.

If you are a Full Timer - seriously look to trying to not come in the Middle of Prime Time - Crowded - Kids - Traffic. If you think about it or have ever been before the Traffic and the Crowds just .....just make this a Chore to visit when it is so crowded. We were there in Early October - was beautiful had crowds but was doable and not so crowded it made it difficult. Add to that that the Aspen were Golden and the weather cool enough to Hike around Sylvan Lake - Beautiful, especially with only a few others there.

First stop Mt Rushmore then to Yellowstone National Park.

Logical routing but if I were you I'd still try to get out of Prime time - Yellowstone is just a Zoo in the Summer - no place to park - One of the main roads is closed and the drives are just not fun in Bumper to Bumper driving at 25mph, if that fast.

An RV park about 1 hour from Yellowstone is acceptable.

Only option is West Yellowstone - really not critical which park as you will only sleep there - we did Yellowstone with the Grands last year and go there right after the Campgrounds were opened it was a Zoo in early June, it was Cold at night - in the 40's every night. Spent as much time outside the Park, kids love the Water as we did with the crowds inside the Park.

We full time in a 42ft Motorhome.

Plenty of spots - we stayed in the park - in West Yellowstone - In the Tetons - in Island Park - Victor - it is interesting that the Kids had more fun outside the Park than in the Park - in the Tetons were able to use the Beach on Jackson Lake so they enjoyed it with the Tetons in the Back ground - that along with a Bear and three Cubs sighting made the Tetons Memorable.

We need full hookups and will not be able to stay in a national park unless fully hooked up.

Good Luck - only option at this time will be outside - $$$$

Thank you for any suggestions you can provide.

Being a full-timer should allow you to be able to enjoy these parks in times that are just More Fun, Less crowded and just Easier - Get more info on and areas around these park, as IMHO there is just so much more to Do in these areas. Cody is an Area that has much to Offer - issue is it is just too far a daily drive - Chief Joseph Highway - Beartooth Highway - Wind Canyon - Thermopolis and Shoshoni both are interesting areas - Keep in mind the State Parks in the areas. The Drives around the Tetons are also a must - the various view points are all just so different........I could go on and on - Do your research - plan your drives - get up early to beat the crowds - some of the most beautiful spots in the Country.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
gvisnic wrote:

X3

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
We have always preferred the CGs within Custer State Park. Not as pricey as Rafter J Bar and are more peaceful. Deer, turkey, bison roaming around you.
Some have electric only, some with elec. and water.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I am a big fan of Fort WeLikit which is just outside of Custer. To me its worth looking into. https://www.blackhillsrv.com/
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
rafter J for Mt Rushmore--- I suggest you plan to be there on the first part of your trip as the whole area gets very busy around the first of August with the Sturgis Rally which has an official start date of Aug 6 this year .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Fishing Bridge RV Campground has full hookups and is right in Yellowstone National Park. It has recently been refurbished. Make reservations now.

Fishing Bridge won't open until Sep 2021, it was delayed for Covid.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer

Dennisokey
Explorer
Explorer
Slightly off topic but while at Yellowstone get the "Gypsy app". It is a gps based app. It tells you about upcoming areas when you are driving close to them. It sets up major attractions into a large figure 8 so that you get to see a larger part of the park more effectively.

If you travel with children the KOA at Palmer Gultch in SD is a great campground. Only bad part is limited wifi.