Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw this in Car & Driver and read more about it at PickupTrucks.com.

You can get an optional 2000W generator on any F-150, the new hybrid comes standard with a 2400W genset and offers and optional 7200W unit with 220v outlet!

This is a huge boondocking convenience for folks that use a 150 to tow a lighter TT or pop-up!!

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

You can get an optional 2000W generator on any F-150, the new hybrid comes standard with a 2400W genset and offers and optional 7200W unit with 220v outlet!

These are not "generators" in the sense that they have their own engine. They are inverters that convert DC power to AC power.

Note the bigger ones are only available on the hybrid model. If you are hauling a 5er with 2 ACs, if you add two soft starters, I'll bet it would run both units (7200W at 240V is 30A on each 120V leg.)

learntorv

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

If you are hauling a 5er with 2 ACs, if you add two soft starters, I'll bet it would run both units (7200W at 240V is 30A on each 120V leg.)

At 7,200 watts- I doubt you would need softstarts. I could be wrong and comparing apples to oranges but my 5500 Onan runs 2 A/Cs just fine without any soft starts.

Lwiddis

Death Valley NP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wizard, correct there isn’t second engine but burb’s report is accurate...an inverter powered by the truck engine.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

These are not "generators" in the sense that they have their own engine. They are inverters that convert DC power to AC power.

Note the bigger ones are only available on the hybrid model. If you are hauling a 5er with 2 ACs, if you add two soft starters, I'll bet it would run both units (7200W at 240V is 30A on each 120V leg.)

Even with the hybrid, it's still very limited. The hybrid only has a 1.5kwh battery bank. A single aircon might draw 1.2kw, so if you use nothing else, you only have a little over 1hr before the engine will kick on. So that means if you want to run the air all night, the truck motor is going to be running all night. The non-hybrid kicks on the motor pretty much immediately.

I'd much rather wear out a $600 inverter generator than a $40k truck.

It could have some uses for light duty stuff but the impression they leave that it's a good option if you want to weekend with the air/con running 24/7 is misguided.

Now if you want to charge the trailer batteries while driving, that could be a nice use case. Connect the trailer shore power to this unit (have to secure the power cables appropriately) and you could charge at 40-60amps via the standard converter in the trailer. Since the motor is already running, there's no significant wear added to the truck.

Now if it had a 10kwh battery bank, running the air/con overnight becomes a realistic possibility assuming say a 50% duty rating but that's not what they built.

I could see this as useful for tradesmen. Running a power saw takes a good bit of wattage but the saws don't run for very long durations.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM offered this with their hybrid Silverado back about 15 years ago. It never really caught on then. I'm in the construction industry where everybody has a truck and I only knew 1 guy that had one. I don't know how long it's been since I saw one on the road.
Maybe Ford is just marketing it better.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The F150 inverter provides options that could make a big difference in a pinch.
If CG power fails you now have a power option. If genset fails you now have a power option. Need electric while boondocking you now have a handy power option. Need to use a power tool along the roadside you now have a power option.
Want to stop for lunch at a rest area, you now have A/C and or microwave available.
I don't imagine running engine all night, but even then it's an option in a one time crisis.
I like the idea of a big inverter, If GM offered the option once upon a time I'm surprised it never caught on.
We can all imagine the inverters being very useful in the construction industry.
However will the hybrid engine be limiting when it comes to towing an RV?
Never checked the specs on a hybrid, I know the Eco boost is quite capable, but how capable are hybrids when it come to RV towing?

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks awesome! I really like the idea and could absolutely put it to use. The question is COST and what trim levels will it be available on? And a half ton won't work for me anymore.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford intends for the generator to be used a lot and has prepared the engine for that. It is targeted at contractors that need job site power and don't want to tie up half of their bed with a generator and fuel tanks. This concept really isn't any different from a lot of commercial trucks that use their main engine to run devices while stopped but still seem to get pretty good engine life.

From what I have seen the price is reasonable, the efficiency is as good as a good stand alone generator, it is quiet and it is available on all trim levels.

The hybrid is rated to pull up to 12,700lbs and in the tests that I have seen outpulls everything else on the road short of big diesels.

I plan to buy one in another year or so.

I would love to see the option offered with the 2.7l V6. That combo would give some really good fuel economy.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/21 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Impressive option but I think I would still carry a generator.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.