Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do I need my fan on when cooking in the oven?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

 > Do I need my fan on when cooking in the oven?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dradeng

Denver

New Member

Joined: 12/24/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/21 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Title says it all. Do I need to ru my fan while the oven is on like I do with the stove tops?

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 01/06/21 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not unless you burn stuff in oven.

Don't really need to run it using stove top burners
They make more noise then move air....some just vent back into inside area vs venting outside


Is it time for your medication or mine?


2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 02/28/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/06/21 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our Grand Design Reflection there isn't any exhaust fan of either kind. We do have a small window at the back of the stovetop and a max air fan in the ceiling close to where the stove/oven is but that's it. So I don't think it's necessary to use yours. We did change out our smoke detectors though as the original ones installed were going off constantly. They would even go off when making toast when there was no visible smoke. They were ionization smoke detectors and we switched them out with the photoelectric type and they don't go off from cooking anymore unless we truly have smoke in the RV.


2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.


ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/07/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we dry camp most of the time, we don't have ability to run the fan, so I either crack open a window in the kitchen or if the weather is good, I open the door. I do both always, when cooking whether stove top or oven.

We also found that the toaster (or most any kind of cooking), sets off the alarm, but opted to take back the toaster since we could only use it when hooked up, which rarely happens, and running the generator for the toaster is not worth it. Instead we placed a small fan on the shelf near the alarm and run it when cooking.


2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!


ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/07/21 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

In our Grand Design Reflection there isn't any exhaust fan of either kind. We do have a small window at the back of the stovetop and a max air fan in the ceiling close to where the stove/oven is but that's it. So I don't think it's necessary to use yours. We did change out our smoke detectors though as the original ones installed were going off constantly. They would even go off when making toast when there was no visible smoke. They were ionization smoke detectors and we switched them out with the photoelectric type and they don't go off from cooking anymore unless we truly have smoke in the RV.


In RV's wouldn't it be safer to use an ionization type smoke detectors especially since RV's burn faster?

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/07/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

Since we dry camp most of the time, we don't have ability to run the fan...


The light and the fan on the range hood work on 12v, so it should work just fine even when boondocking.

For the OP, you only "need" to run the fan to exhaust smoke or odors, same as you would at home.


2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!


RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 02/28/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/07/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

In RV's wouldn't it be safer to use an ionization type smoke detectors especially since RV's burn faster?

Someone smarter than me should probably answer that question but in my case, the smoke detector still goes off quickly if there's any smoke from cooking. So now, instead of going off EVERY time we cook, it only goes off if we burn something.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/07/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a dry camper and run my Fantastic fans all the time but I never run the noisy stove hood fan. I cook mostly during daylight and the small draw of the fans is replaced by my solar panels.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/07/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

Since we dry camp most of the time, we don't have ability to run the fan...


The light and the fan on the range hood work on 12v, so it should work just fine even when boondocking.

For the OP, you only "need" to run the fan to exhaust smoke or odors, same as you would at home.


Our light and fan is in the over the range microwave and hence not 12V.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/07/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

In RV's wouldn't it be safer to use an ionization type smoke detectors especially since RV's burn faster?

Someone smarter than me should probably answer that question but in my case, the smoke detector still goes off quickly if there's any smoke from cooking. So now, instead of going off EVERY time we cook, it only goes off if we burn something.


Makes sense. Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

 > Do I need my fan on when cooking in the oven?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.