cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer 5ers, Slider Hitch Required For Short Beds?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I keep reading that the newer 5ers have a redesigned nose with curved sides so that you don't need a slider hitch on a short bed truck. My Ram has the 6.5 bed so I was wondering if I need a slider with certain models or if the newer ones eliminate the need for the slider hitch.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
37 REPLIES 37

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Gonna go with the Superglide auto slider

I hope you did your homework on the Superglide, and the limitations on hitching ,unhitching . Had a friend grow tired of it after couple years ,and got rid of it ,that and the weight to deal with. Hopefully you are aware of all this, they are not cheap .

I had the Superglide on a previous truck and fifth about 15 years or so ago and had it for about 4-5 years before I parted ways with it. Quality built hitch but I grew tired of the limitations of hitching and unhitching as well. I think it was like 7 degrees or so in either direction or you would have to disconnect the head from the rest of the hitch and the same for hooking back up if you cannot get a relatively straight shot. Not to mention I was always cleaning and lubing the slide tubes.

My current rig I have a 18K BW Patriot non slider with my shortbed which I like much much better. This past spring I idled my slider base and purchased a fixed base off Marketplace as I never used the slider function in any sort of turn. The only downside of course is the potential to kiss the cab but in the 5 years with our current rig I cant say I've ever been close, just have to be aware. The 18K Patriot I have now is also much lighter which means I can easily remove it by myself in (head pops off by simply grabbing the handles) without help or the aid of a winch. When I had my slider I used a cheap Harbor Freight electric winch to lift it out.

Cannot say enough good about B&W, well designed and build quality, built here in America and a great company that stands behind their products.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Bayley wrote:
Ram short bed and an Andersen ultimate hitch over a B&W turn over ball and your worries are over. I have jacked pretty hard at times and never come close to the cab.

Just ordered the Andersen. Went with the standard rail kit though.

Great choice .

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Bayley wrote:
Ram short bed and an Andersen ultimate hitch over a B&W turn over ball and your worries are over. I have jacked pretty hard at times and never come close to the cab.

Just ordered the Andersen. Went with the standard rail kit though.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I do have interest in the Anderson too
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:

You won't regret it.
I saw a New Dodge with a new 5th wheel. The new Dodge had a nice new dent in the back corner of the cab.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

I hope you did your homework on the Superglide, and the limitations on hitching ,unhitching . Had a friend grow tired of it after couple years ,and got rid of it ,that and the weight to deal with. Hopefully you are aware of all this, they are not cheap .

I've used the hitch before with no problems. Two friends have the hitch with no problems. I'm familiar with the Superglide
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve got a short bed F350 and a 2020 Jayco Eagle I have a manual slider, and am very glad I do. I donโ€™t need to use it all the time, but there are a few tight spots Iโ€™ve been in that I was very glad I had it. The manual is a little bit of a pain, but much less of an inconvenience than replacing a back window.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Curly2001 wrote:
Just one more note, make sure of your bed/hitch height before you go with a slider. My trailer really doesn't need the slider but I thought I had to have one. The slider will add to your hitch height and it could make your trailer nose high. I had that issue with mine. Got rid of the slider and so far we are good.
Curly

Ha, famous last words. Just kidding, glad a non-slider works for you! Having a GM is a big help, due to the longer than other brands distance, from axle center, to rear of cab.

I've towed with several 6.75 bed Fords, and a couple different FWs, while never having a slider hitch. No problem so far, and been working fine since 99.

Jerry

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Just one more note, make sure of your bed/hitch height before you go with a slider. My trailer really doesn't need the slider but I thought I had to have one. The slider will add to your hitch height and it could make your trailer nose high. I had that issue with mine. Got rid of the slider and so far we are good.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

I towed my 3 different fivers with a Superglide and never a problem..

IF I ever have to go back to a short bed ( I WONT ) it will be an auto slider Superglide.. Great company to work with... Great people to talk to... Great Hitch !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

In 16 years and 2 different 5th wheel trailers (with my 6.5' Ram bed), I never once had an issue hooking/unhooking in developed campsites. I realize it had the potential for issues, but it was never an issue for me.

That said, I love the Andersen on my new truck. Super light and super quiet.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have no need or desire for a sliding hitch but if I was to get one it would be an auto slide. If I had to manually slide my hitch I would never slide it. My father has taken out the back window of his Dodge twice in the 16 years that he has owned his truck and he has a manual slider ... that he doesn't use.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Yes, more to consider than just that it auto slides. Is there a chance, with your model truck, that it could cause the pin box to hit the tailgate, when sliding. I do consider this to be a quality hitch, that works well for many.

Jerry

Just double checked the travel distance on the Superglide, its 14" ,compared to 10 " on my Reese. Its definitely something to consider, just depends on where that Superglide is mounted ,and definitely the pin box style . If I remember now, with my Ram I thought the Superglide would hit the tailgate with my Montana fifth wheel ,and Morryde pin box . Positive it would hit my tailgate with this newer fifth wheel ,and the Lippert pin box .