Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Death wobble
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Death wobble

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

seems like any front end that needs work could do a wobble.

chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Having said that any solid front axle vehicle has the death wobble potential.

100% correct !

Yeah. This is no way just a "Ford" problem. Any truck with a solid front axle. Google Ram death wobble.

Actually I think Ram passed the “Death Wobble” torch to Ford as of late.

The only vehicle that I ever had death wobble on was a 64 Ford Econoline with bad King Pin bushings.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several things that contribute to death wobble, but the main one is the wrong geometry between the pitman arm, and the tie rod, and can happen on solid axles, and independent suspensions.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

seems like any front end that needs work could do a wobble.

chevman

Eh not really. A solid axle develops the harmonics or whatever it is from one wheel to the other because no only are they tied together by steering but physically through the axle so whatever 1 wheel does pushes the opposite one the other way.
An ifs can shake or rattle but generally won’t get out of control.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 87 Jeep Wrangler YJ started the death wobble a few years back and I took it to a national tire shop and they did an alignment but it still had the wobble. Took it back to them and they rechecked it and said they needed to shim the axle so I told them to do so. They said they tried to order shims but could not find any available.

I took the Jeep to a fleet truck shop that only works on big trucks and they agreed if it would fit their machine they would work on it. It fit and they shimmed the axle with shims they carried in stock and it stopped the problem.. I have not had any problem at any speed or on any highway.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Helped a friend years ago rebuild his kingpins on his Scout. Wobble was horrible even at low speeds.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

My 87 Jeep Wrangler YJ started the death wobble a few years back and I took it to a national tire shop and they did an alignment but it still had the wobble. Took it back to them and they rechecked it and said they needed to shim the axle so I told them to do so. They said they tried to order shims but could not find any available.

I took the Jeep to a fleet truck shop that only works on big trucks and they agreed if it would fit their machine they would work on it. It fit and they shimmed the axle with shims they carried in stock and it stopped the problem.. I have not had any problem at any speed or on any highway.

This was likely a caster issue. Lifted springs?
Yes many things can cause it.

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Having said that any solid front axle vehicle has the death wobble potential.

100% correct !

Yeah. This is no way just a "Ford" problem. Any truck with a solid front axle. Google Ram death wobble.

Actually I think Ram passed the “Death Wobble” torch to Ford as of late.

The only vehicle that I ever had death wobble on was a 64 Ford Econoline with bad King Pin bushings.

Russ I guess you didn't Google Ram death wobble. It is not just Ford. Also Jeep as well.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

This was likely a caster issue. Lifted springs?
Yes many things can cause it.

Yes leaf springs and front end is in excellent condition. Just illustrating that improper alignment can also cause the problem. Not just any shop can correctly align one.

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/21 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2018 F250 at work that suffered from the death wobble. It had just over 20k miles on it when it started. Ford added or replaced the steering damper, aligned it, and recommended new tires. We put new tires on it after getting it back from Ford and all is well, for the most part. We are at 35k now and it is starting to come back, a minor shaking can be felt momentarily through the steering wheel after hitting bumps/expansion joints on the highway. Probably could use another alignment, it is a work truck and gets driven like one.

2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Death wobble
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.