cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nebraska Rt. 2

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are heading out to RMNP this summer in our 5th wheel, and looking into taking Nebraska Rt. 2. We already made reservations in the Neb national Forest near Halsey for a couple nights.

So I'm torn with continuing west on Rt. 2 to Alliance, then up 385 to Chadron SP, or heading north on US 83 to Valentine, then west on US 20 to Chadron SP. We'll probably book Chadron SP for 4 nights.

Looks like either way will be scenic, I'm just asking if anyone thinks one of the two plans is better than the other. Any input is appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Bob806 wrote:
We are heading out to RMNP this summer in our 5th wheel, and looking into taking Nebraska Rt. 2. We already made reservations in the Neb national Forest near Halsey for a couple nights.

So I'm torn with continuing west on Rt. 2 to Alliance, then up 385 to Chadron SP, or heading north on US 83 to Valentine, then west on US 20 to Chadron SP. We'll probably book Chadron SP for 4 nights.

Looks like either way will be scenic, I'm just asking if anyone thinks one of the two plans is better than the other. Any input is appreciated.

I was in Alliance for the Eclipse in August 2017, here is my trip report My Black Hills, Badlands, and Solar Eclipse trip of August 2017

Leaving Alliance I drove Nebraska highway 2 east until I got to Halsey, and the Nebraska National Forest. The road is pretty good, the scenery is rolling open countryside (sandhills) and you will probably enjoy it. Headed north out of Alliance on 87 you will have the opportunity to stop at Carhinge. You can then backtrack the couple of miles to Alliance to get to 385 or you can continue north to an intersection with Jefferspn Rd and go west to 385 (I have been that way also and it is a decent road, I think it is also know as 7E) I have not been to Carhinge, it was crazy the day of the eclipse and I had stayed the night about two miles north of there, and I took highway 2 on the spur of the moment as opposed to heading south to the interstate.

If you are staying in Chadron for a while, there is a Walmart in town on 385 at 20 so you can stock up on anything you need. If you turn EAST on 20 out of Chadron from 385 for 4.6 miles, on the right will be a large Red roofed building which is the Museum of the Fur Trade. It is well worth the stop. Plan on spending a couple of hours, as the displays are extensive. Note that on Google Maps there is a marker for The Bordeaux Trading Post which is MISPLACED, as the Museum of the Fur Trade is about 1500 ft further and includes the original Bordeaux Trading post. you cannot miss the building as it has a nice red metal roof.

https://www.furtrade.org/

Grand Adventure on Youtube did a segment last year on his Heartland 2020 tour and included quite a bit of the museum in it.

Ep. 154: Pine Ridge | Nebraska RV travel camping hiking MTB history panhandle

Watch the whole video, you will get some ideas of things to see in the area.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been traveling to the Valentine area for many years and have used all of the routes you have mentioned. All are good routes IMO. As mentioned be sure to fill up in the bigger towns as most small towns may not have a station. You can check out road conditions at Nebraska 511 which will really help if they get a lot of snow this spring or heavy rains which can cause flooding in the sand hills.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to exploring the plains.

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a few years since I have been on Rt2, but I took Rt 20 last year and really enjoyed it. At the time, the very western edge of the state had rt 20 torn up from Harrison to the state line for repaving. This was in September. A couple miles of it was dirt. I was on a motorcycle for this trip. Valentine has a nice city park you can boondock in on the north side of town.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
we took Rt2 going east from Alliance about 10 years ago. There was very little traffic, two lane, no rest areas, and a few, small towns, bypassed by the highway. So if you need a bathroom, you have to go down into the town to find a place to stop. Other than that, no complaints.
We've also done the 83 south from Valentine to North Platte, and again, no problems.
I've always wanted to stop at the National Forest campground, but haven't yet.
Chadron is a great little state campground. If you like visiting archaeology digs, the Hudson Meng Bison Kill site (do a search)is interesting and so is the Fort Robinson state park. It has a couple good little museums and a film of the history of the fort. There is, or was, a little chicken stand on the highway to the fort... with BROASTED Chicken. Very good and the only broasted chicken place I've seen since the 1960s.
Chadron has a free museum on the south side of town with a whole lot of stuff from the early pioneers to that area. And another museum on the east side with Fur Trapping history.
If you are going to be there around mid June, the Sioux put on a PowWow fair at Ft. Robinson.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, we took 385 south from South Dakota across Rt2 then RT83 down into North Platte. The roads were all good. The only thing I remember at that time was gas stations were few and far between.