cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you let you kids drive your motorhome

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I was sitting at the dealership today when a guy sitting across from me got a call from, I found out later, his son-in-law. Come to find out that this guy bought a new motorhome last year and his son-in-law was asking to barrow it. He thought going on a vacation was a good thing to do and barrowing the motorhome was the way to do it.

He nicely told his son-in-law that his motorhome is not something he loans out and the son-in-law obviously didn't like that answer. The son-in-law was not letting it go and tried two or three different ways of convincing this guy why he should loan it out. I felt bad for the guy because he was trying to be nice to someone who was obviously pushing the bounds.

What about you guys, do you loan out your motorhome? Obviously you don't if you full time, but what about those who use it a couple months? Do you loan it out to your kids, neighbors and friends?
49 REPLIES 49

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is pasusan, and a fine quote it is. This turned into an interesting thread seeing how folks feel about the lending aspect of things. As I said earlier, I don’t barrow things so maybe that’s partially why I don’t loan things. It seems there are so many ways to lose a friend or family member. And I see no reason to add to that possibility. I can tell by your comments that many feel the same!

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see this said yet... "Neither a borrower nor a lender be".

That's a commandment isn't it? 🙂

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never been an issue, they know better than to ask. Got a deal on a older Airstream trailer I couldn’t pass up and I let them use it with their trucks. They already knew how to back trailers up and make wide turns.

Son did ask to buy our 04 Dynasty so I did sell it to him at a wholesale...what a dealer would give me price. Hadn’t planned on upgrading, but the 08 is a lot nicer, especially compared to the new stuff I looked at.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
No. My son isn't old enough yet, but even still I'd have to be mighty confident in his driving skills and understanding of the coach before I'd even consider it.

I had my DW do some driving in a park-n-ride to let her get acclimated to how the coach feels. She didn't understand the wide turns that you have to do with the longer wheelbase compared to a car. I had to explain point of pivot to her. She didn't quite understand what I meant. (keep meaning to do a quick drawn demonstration). Then I reminded her of our trip to Niagara Falls where we had to drive through a small PA town on the tiny streets to go through a detour. That kind of got her in the right mindset.

For me it is the "if something happens it's my responsibility" mostly. I don't like the way my DW drives her truck and she has poor binocular vision. So just the driving style is enough for me to give a NO to pretty much anyone.

It's an investment, but unlike your most expensive investment, this one has wheels and can in a moment of careless operation kill or injure dozens of people. That worry alone should get you to think twice.

And to those of you who do loan them out. I understand and do not question your judgement. We're all different and that's fine.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

rvroamerrandy
Explorer
Explorer
I wont let my kids drive my car let alone my coach!!!!!!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I let 2 of kids drive it but not the other 2. My son is the only one that I have let take it anywhere without me but that is due to the complexity of the operation of the coach more than the driving skills. I haven't let him borrow it lately because he left me with too much cleanup the last time he used it.

One of my daughters has good driving skills but the other two just don't seem like they even want to try diving it and certainly would struggle with the systems to keep it going.

I would probably be most willing to let my son-in-law take it. He has a lot of driving skills, mechanical competence and is willing to clean up after himself.

As a rule though, don't loan anything that you can't afford to replace unless you have extreme confidence that the borrower would make it right if something goes wrong. That might qualify two of my friends but I don't think that either would ever ask for it.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to reverse this. I would not loan my RV to my father in law. Every time I loan him something he breaks something and doesn't replace it - and he has the means, more than I do. He has never driven an RV and I wouldn't want him practicing on mine. He can afford to buy his own - period...

Now my son (not old enough to drive yet) I would probably let him borrow it. But only because I know how he would treat it and he knows how to set up and operate everything, even at his young age. He has many years to grow up and prove he isn't responsible, but right now he is.

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
I don't allow anyone to use my MH. It is my MH, not to be borrowed. If the kids want to borrow it, I recommend they consider Cruise America or buy a MH for themselves.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
And its a personal thing as well... If I was driving someones vehicle, regardless of what it is. And I had an accident I'd be beside myself. I'd not have to worry what the person thought I borrowed it from. I'd feel horrible! And I have no desire to put myself in that position. Maybe that's just me?

AGREE %100:)

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
No way. Me or DW. Period.

The last time I let someone barrow something - 12' covered utility trailer - he towed with a barrowed Cl-A. Both were returned with damage. SOB didn't have the decency to tell me about it in returning, he just dropped it off in the driveway when no one was home. After that experience I wouldn't, as said above, even loan out one of my wheelborrows.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
And its a personal thing as well... If I was driving someones vehicle, regardless of what it is. And I had an accident I'd be beside myself. I'd not have to worry what the person thought I borrowed it from. I'd feel horrible! And I have no desire to put myself in that position. Maybe that's just me?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mondooker wrote:
I’m sorry Thor, that was very wrong of me! 🙂

That's awesome...I wasn't even thinking along that line. :B

God forbid your evil older sister gets her hands on it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
Before you let anyone drive your coach in other than an emergency situation may sure you check your insurance policy.

That was my first thought also.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Surely you jest!!! :B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG