Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Short Term Freezing Weather Tips?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Short Term Freezing Weather Tips?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the Rio Grande Valley (South Texas) and we are forecast for about 2 days of freezing temps Monday and Tuesday. The low right now is expected to be around 26 degrees. We are in a motor home with no skirting outside. I will keep the house temp at least 70 degrees through the night and I plan to keep the cabinets open and drip the faucets. Am I safe from frozen pipes or do I need to shut off the water and drain the pipes during the nights? Have you actually been camping through similar temps?

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm seeing a lot of posts on the topic from folks in Texas right now (we're Texans but not in Texas at the moment). If you run the main furnace rather than space heaters, it should keep the basement from freezing. We're in a fifth wheel rather than a motorhome, but we've weathered temps as low as 10 - 11F with high winds and survived.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disconnect and drain hose after filling fresh water tank. Operate off fresh water tank while freezing. Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to pipes. Run water heater to heat water in tank. Make sure propane tank is full. Run small electric heater to supplement coach heater. Pull slides in if possible to use coach while in. Empty black and grey tanks. Camped as low as 12 degrees Fahrenheit.

26 is not really that cold but you never know , it is expected to be 15 here.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have an enclosed underbelly, disconnect the hose going to the rig, let the furnace run overnight (60s ok) and don't worry about it. Even without the furnace upper 20s for a few hours won't penetrate.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 65 Nights

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks bgum. I plan to do most of that.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

I'm in the Rio Grande Valley (South Texas) and we are forecast for about 2 days of freezing temps Monday and Tuesday. The low right now is expected to be around 26 degrees. We are in a motor home with no skirting outside. I will keep the house temp at least 70 degrees through the night and I plan to keep the cabinets open and drip the faucets. Am I safe from frozen pipes or do I need to shut off the water and drain the pipes during the nights? Have you actually been camping through similar temps?

Well for someone that is use to camping above freezing the world doesn’t end a 32 degrees. We go down to mid 20’s high teens with an insulated heated water hose and running the furnace to heat the belly.
In your case fill water tank, and disconnect water hose, keep furnace over night. Our furnace is either gas or electric and run electric most of the time. It is currently 33 degrees outside, and our basement at the outside wall is 50 degrees.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you will have full hookups or where you can discharge grey water, let the kitchen faucet run a small stream which will keep the water and drainline from freezing. We’ve done that many times down to 14 degrees. An electric heater will assist the furnace keeping the belly area warm or just put a 40 watt light in the belly. Should be fine down to high 20’s.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it’s getting above freezing during the day, which you stated it will be, then don’t worry about anything except your water hose freezing. Turn off your city water source so it can drain back.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are also in TX south of Austin a couple hours. Supposed to get down to 7-8 degrees here and daytime highs are still below freezing. Water froze overnight 2 nights ago, then thawed during the day. It was disconnected and we run off the tank/pump. Furnace set at 60 at night. We shouldn't have a problem, but 19 is the lowest we have been at before with daytime above freezing. Looking at 3 days freezing or below here now. Can't wait for sunshine !!!

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/21 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just looked at the forecast. Fill your fresh water tank and disconnect al hoses, as per others. Your furnaces will be running as the heat pumps won't handle that much cold. Be sure your propane tanks are full. The furnaces should keep the bays from freezing but still I wold put a drop cord and 100 watt bulb in the wet bay,where it won't melt any plastics etc
it may be a few days of subfreezing weather so you night want to get a heat tape for the water faucet itself, and a heated water hose. You won't be driving out of the cold it is all around you.
This would be advice for our old MH but if a new all electric I'm not sure. There should be some provision to keep bays warm and you may even have a wet bay heater.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Short Term Freezing Weather Tips?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.