Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Electrical Extension Cords
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Electrical Extension Cords

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Grodyman

Enemy Territory

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I almost exclusively use a 20 amp rated cord (12 awg minimum, 10 awg if you can find one), but I would not run two major electric appliances at the same time. Don't run the microwave and the a/c or an electric heater simultaneously, or the water heater on electric etc. I usually dry camp and plug into the Honda to charge or run the micro for a few minutes. In extreme temperatures where you need a/c or electric heat stick with the 30 amp cord.

Gman

2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

#1nobby

Barrie, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deaner58 wrote:

Ok thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
We have not used the trailer yet, bought it at the end of October and the dealer has stored it for the winter. We have booked some camp sites in Ontario Canada starting in May and several sites say the electrical box could be up to 30 ft?

Ontario Provincial Parks?

I camped at Killbear many times. I needed a 30 Amp extension cord 50% of the time.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends really on your load. Will you run AirCon and Electric water heater and Electric fridge all at the same time when on the extension cord?
If yes, then 10 or 12g cord. the shorter the better.

Running AirCon on a 14g cord (small wire) will certainly work, but can put a strain on the aircon motor when the cord gets hot, it will, and the amps start to drop, even cold the cord will struggle to supply the needed amps. The AC will try to run off of what it has, but all I say is, research this topic.

That said, I do run the AC on a regular cord sometimes (not with other high draw things at the same time though), and have not killed anything.... yet...
I do have a 10g cord, but the camper is plugged into regular ex cord, prob 14g so I have power if I need it, and if I want AC on a hot day while Im out there will run it off little cord...

Your AC unit will not be drawing 30 amps. The 30amp number comes from combining AC, fridge and water heater, plus other, though smaller, loads.
You can look up what the AC draws running (not start-up).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Electrical Extension Cords
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.