Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 04:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

36guy, sounds like you couldn’t drive a manual shift, didn’t do proper maintenance including oil changes, and modified ito use non OEM parts and it’s Ford’s fault. [emoticon] At leat, you found something you liked. [emoticon] That’s really all that matters.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Elk_traveler wrote:

My 7.3L powerstroke is a 1996 and if not mistaken it is a 420ft.lb of torque. It is pure raw diesel power from the ground up. A new Ford diesel the 6.7L engine is and old gasoline converted block that was put in the Ford 392 cu-ft engines in 1962.

Wow, I've read some kooky posts and ideas on here, but I think this one takes the cake.

Two years ago I bought my dad's 2000 F250 7.3 Supercab with the 6 speed manual. I helped him spec it when he bought it. I don't daily drive it, and to be honest I haven't done anything with it yet that any 1/2 ton truck could easily do. When I retire in a couple of years I'm going to get a 26-28' travel trailer and install a Rampage lift to haul my Harley. Some of the mods I'm considering are:

Convert axles to 4.30 gear ratios
Install Gear Vendors overdrive. This will give me twelve possible gears, with roughly the same overall final drive ratio for cruising on the flat while giving me lower gearing for low speed backing, etc. The stock reverse gear in the 6 speed is pretty tall.
Towing chip or tune, aiming for about 300 hp/600 ft./lbs. Nothing too crazy.
South Bend towing clutch or equivalent when the OEM clutch finally wears out.

It's a strong, dependable truck, but my dad's new F350 with the 6.7 towing 10000 lbs would probably out-accelerate mine empty.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Elk_traveler wrote:

....... A new Ford diesel the 6.7L engine is and old gasoline converted block that was put in the Ford 392 cu-ft engines in 1962. ...........

Where’d you get that little tidbit from???

That’s not even close to true. It always amazes me when I run across a new urban legend. It makes me feel like I’m missing out on something [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is funny how some actuall owners feel offended with the true facts.
As I pointed before -7.3 has bulletproof block, but on 20 years old trucks, orings, reservoirs and sensors will fail, so if you still own 1 - read the forum replies and put some preventive maintenance on it, or YOU WILL get strangled.
Final note, when things are relatively easy to fix on 7.3, stupid oil cooler replacement on 6-leaker can exceed older truck value.
Than my 6.7l develop oil pan gasket leak on 2nd year. Suppose stupid gasket replacement require engine pulling. Covered by warranty, so I did not get the bill, but my "new" 1922 Ford Model T doesn't have leaky gasket, so how come 100 years later Ford is still struggling with basic stuff?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Elk_traveler wrote:

My 7.3L powerstroke is a 1996 and if not mistaken it is a 420ft.lb of torque. It is pure raw diesel power from the ground up. A new Ford diesel the 6.7L engine is and old gasoline converted block that was put in the Ford 392 cu-ft engines in 1962.

I gather you love your old Powerstroke and that’s cool. They are awesome trucks, but this is, one of the funniest, most ill-informed statements I’ve seen on this forum in a while!
Roflmao
Edit guess I was slow on the draw sorry for the repeat

* This post was edited 02/21/21 10:30am by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

It is funny how some actuall owners feel offended with the true facts.
As I pointed before -7.3 has bulletproof block, but on 20 years old trucks, orings, reservoirs and sensors will fail, so if you still own 1 - read the forum replies and put some preventive maintenance on it, or YOU WILL get strangled.
Final note, when things are relatively easy to fix on 7.3, stupid oil cooler replacement on 6-leaker can exceed older truck value.
Than my 6.7l develop oil pan gasket leak on 2nd year. Suppose stupid gasket replacement require engine pulling. Covered by warranty, so I did not get the bill, but my "new" 1922 Ford Model T doesn't have leaky gasket, so how come 100 years later Ford is still struggling with basic stuff?

How come you complain and bitsch and are always 100% antagonistic?
So you’re saying your new model T is running an original, never opened up engine that not only runs but doesn’t leak?
Aside from not believing that, if it was true, it’s a miracle.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

36guy, sounds like you couldn’t drive a manual shift, didn’t do proper maintenance including oil changes, and modified ito use non OEM parts and it’s Ford’s fault. [emoticon] At leat, you found something you liked. [emoticon] That’s really all that matters.

Sounds more like a lemon to me. It happens with all vehicles.
I don’t get the impression that the OP didn’t take care of it. Idk about the input shaft issues though. Not familiar with those trans.
I do know the 7.3s were a cold blooded engine that needed properly operating glow plugs and that good oil change maintenance was imperative on them (and 6.0s) because the HPOPs were good but finicky without frequent quality oil changes.

Every vehicle has its quirks. But there’s quirks and there’s issues and they had quirks, not issues.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

had a 1971 7.3 would tow anything you hooked to it, truck camper and walleye boat from ohio to wis just great.

Lol no you didn’t. No such thing.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

7.3driver

Central Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

7.3driver wrote:

Wish I could post a picture from my tablet.

Try this.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

[image][/img]

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Convert axles to 4.30 gear ratios
Install Gear Vendors overdrive. This will give me twelve possible gears, with roughly the same overall final drive ratio for cruising on the flat while giving me lower gearing for low speed backing, etc. The stock reverse gear in the 6 speed is pretty tall.
Towing chip or tune, aiming for about 300 hp/600 ft./lbs. Nothing too crazy.
South Bend towing clutch or equivalent when the OEM clutch finally wears out.

It's a strong, dependable truck, but my dad's new F350 with the 6.7 towing 10000 lbs would probably out-accelerate mine empty.

I’ve got a Gear Vendors OD. It’s awesome but it won’t give you twelve gears.
You have to be going almost 20 mph to use it, so it’s oil pump is operating.
You only use it with the upper gears.
I have 4.10 gears and the GV drops my 60 MPH cruise from 2000 RPM down to 1500.
It makes 4.10 effectively 3.20.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.