cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dollar General grocery?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
In our travels we're seeing a number of "expanded" DGs with a respectable grocery selection. Herself can even buy her almond milk. Some of them are pretty good sized. Still don't have a fresh produce section but that's okay. They have coffee, bread, eggs, frozen pizza, canned goods, cereals even frozen dinners if that's your thing. The prices are competitive especially if using their online digital coupons.

Just sharing.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
22 REPLIES 22

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rice wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Let me get this straight, stuff in Dollar General isn't a $1 or less. Someone needs to splain that to me.

Imagine my surprise when Trader Joe's rejected my barter offer.

LOLOL
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Let me get this straight, stuff in Dollar General isn't a $1 or less. Someone needs to splain that to me.

Imagine my surprise when Trader Joe's rejected my barter offer.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we are down in Florida on the "forgotten coast line" the closet Walmart is 80 miles. But, there are several DG close by. Every small town seems to have one even when there is no regular grocery store.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I read an interview several years ago with the CEO of Dollar General / Family Dollar; he clearly stated that his strategy for competing with Walmart was to put a dollar store on every corner. Looks like he's succeeding.
-jbh-

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
there is one right here and another in each direction less than 10mi away. They are multiplying like rabbits.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We joke about it, but it seems like there is one within a couple of miles of all the campgrounds we go to. Seems like we always need something, or forget something and have to make a run to the General.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Instacart now delivers from Family Dollar. Odd but makes sense.
-jbh-

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diamond c wrote:
I’ve never seen a DG grocery store. I do use DG a lot for 1 or 2 grab and go items when I don’t want to fight the crowd at WM or Kroger.

I compared some of our basic items with the Walmart and Kroger prices. DG beat them every time, even on the name brand stuff. When we use the coupons we can get our fave laundry detergent for $2-3 less than Walmart and $3.50 less than Kroger. We don't have an Aldi's nearby so DG has been our go-to for a lot of items.

Some of my favorite DG finds have been kitchen items. I bought silicone spatulas and basters at 5 for only a $1.00 there about a month ago.

Magnus

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I’ve never seen a DG grocery store. I do use DG a lot for 1 or 2 grab and go items when I don’t want to fight the crowd at WM or Kroger.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are dreaming if you think anything is cheap in a DG. I don't think anything casts $1 in there. In 3 years I have visited the DG I mentioned before twice. Although close I can't see it and don't use it.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
After reading the title, I just imagined everything being past the sell by date. Interesting that they could sell ANYTHING fresh for a buck.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

reddwar
Explorer
Explorer
In Rose Hill, KS the dollar general closed it's small store & took over a closed wal-mart family market & it is a full grocery store with gas. Only Dollar General I have seen with gas pumps. Don't know if wal-mart left all the coolers but it looks like it but was not in it as family market.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several in the Las Vegas, NV. area. They always have the cheapest Bud Lite for the Sin City area. Here in the Yuma, AZ. there aren't any DG Grocery stores but the regular DG stores have 15 pack 12 oz. Natural Light for $7.25.