cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Important is Garage Storage?

carlsdrivein
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. I’m looking to purchase my first travel trailer and I’m between a few different ones. I’ve narrowed it down to either an egg fiberglass camper, like a scamp or an alto safari, either the model with the retractable roof or a fixed roof. But something that I can’t seem to get enough info for is how important is storing a camper in a garage because with the retractable roof option of the alto, it could easily fit inside our garage whenever we’re not using it, so this would be helpful against protecting it from the elements, but I don’t know if it’s worth the extra worry that the retractable roof will bring since more moving parts usually equals more repairs / maintaining. Is a outside storage with a cover sufficient to prolong the life of the trailer or should I opt for the model I can store in my garage?? I would really appreciate any advice!
24 REPLIES 24

motogasoline
Explorer
Explorer
Seon wrote:
motogasoline wrote:
... Not much else i can do but maybe plant some red tips around it or fast growing maple trees but heck thats gonna take some time to grow. Hah.

I built a boat shed and placed a mesh sun screen that's been up about 4 yrs now that blocks the scortching afternoon sun that does the job well.

Amazon sells 10'x 20' for less than $35. Google Sunblock Shade Cloth with Grommets

Thanks I'll check that out. Sounds perfect.

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
Get the TT you like and worry about storing it in the garage or outside later. What good is a TT if it is to small for you to enjoy.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
motogasoline wrote:
... Not much else i can do but maybe plant some red tips around it or fast growing maple trees but heck thats gonna take some time to grow. Hah.

I built a boat shed and placed a mesh sun screen that's been up about 4 yrs now that blocks the scortching afternoon sun that does the job well.

Amazon sells 10'x 20' for less than $35. Google Sunblock Shade Cloth with Grommets

motogasoline
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought my first TT and had a 12 ft wide flat top roof built for it. I wish I could post a pic because other than the sun and rain that falls directly overhead its doesn't do much. I asked it be built 12 ft tall but it turned out 14. Id like to add some siding on the sides along the top half but the 4 inch square frame tubes are 12 ft apart... Not much else i can do but maybe plant some red tips around it or fast growing maple trees but heck thats gonna take some time to grow. Hah.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
#1nobby wrote:
Up until this year I had my trailer stored in a barn during the winter for $300.

Now it is stored outdoors in Northern Quebec on my property.

I REALLY feel bad about it as I have about 6 feet of snow surrounding the trailer and about 4 feet on the roof.

That CAN'T be as good as barn storage.

Yes but the UV protection is unparalleled.

Ha!

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my 10 year old and always stored in the garage and still in perfect condition camper last month for 11% less then I paid for it new. No way would it have brought that much return if it sat outside in the weather all of those years.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
Up until this year I had my trailer stored in a barn during the winter for $300.

I REALLY feel bad about it as I have about 6 feet of snow surrounding the trailer and about 4 feet on the roof.

Yes but the UV protection is unparalleled.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Mine lived outside for almost 15 years and did fine, but as mentioned it is starting to show aging effects.

A couple years ago I started covering the roof and top foot or so with shrink wrap. It's almost 20 years old, and I get nervous about moisture sitting on it through freeze/dry cycles. The aging awning actually seems to be a little better since I started covering it.

Ultimately, with good maintenance, my trailer has spent the majority of its life outside with zero leaks or other weather related "showstopper" problems.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
The sun here in the valley is brutally hot so I built a large boat and RV shed.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
All my cars and trucks have always had a garage. All my trailers (rv and non rv) are stored in a tractor shed or the trailer shed.
My '97 32' 5th wheel rv trailer has sat in a trailer shed for all but one year and looks like new.
I tend to keep equipment a long time so its important to me from a dollar value and exterior maintenance issue to keep it covered.
I see many folks have a 2-3 car garage full of junk but leave their vehicles outside 24/7.
The sun will runeth all things over time
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
Again, everybody has their opinions,I keep mine under a pole barn to avoid the sun, my last fifth was a keystone cougar, 13 years old, looked like new, it's the sun that makes them look old. As a result, I got an excellent trade in value for it, because it didn't show its age. My recommendation is to store it under cover if you can, helps keep the vermin out too.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildtoad wrote:
Well there you have it. Opinions for keeping the TT in a garage and those that basically said do nothing but camp in it. To me it’s important for my MH, Toad to look nice, well maintained. I had several, some I’ve had to store outside, stored off site under a shed, and currently store under a carport next to my house. So far the carport has been a blessing, a garage would be better. Keeps critters at bay, both four legged and winged one too. Helps keep the roof cleaner, reduce black streaks, less UV damage to the external items. Your choice, choose wisely..

I would love to store mine under a hard cover but for myself, that is an impossibility..

I have acreage, but unfortunately all but a very small small upper part is on a steep drop off and no amount of 4x4s is going to safely get ANY RV up or down that hillside (12+ft drop over in only less than 20ft at the steepest point)..

So, the ONLY place I have to park my RV is beside a busy highway in my front yard about 40ft off the centerline of the road.. Making things worse is a UNDERGROUND NATURAL GAS LINE that goes UNDER the RV that I cannot put any permanent structure over.. Compounding that even more is my water well, plastic pipe from the well and electric for the well is located 2 ft from the tires of my RV..

My RV looks fine, just wash once a yr and the dirt and road grime accumulated after a yr washes right off..

Besides, don't you think a RV with a garage built around it would be difficult to drive on the road? They HAVE to come out an play in the sun once in a while..

To answer the OPs question, I would not solely base my decision on buying a RV if it fits in a garage or not unless you have no other option for parking it.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
garaged is best, my rv still looks new. 12 years old