Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: No Pain, No Gain!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> No Pain, No Gain!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As some of you know, my left side became paralyzed almost 7 years ago due to stroke. Yesterday (Thurs) I was at my physical therapy session at the local VA medical facility. My wonderful therapist (Belinda) has been working with me for a while. She concentrates on my left leg, and Dave works on my arm. Belinda likes to manipulate my leg in sometimes painful ways to stretch muscles and tendons, but will stop when I let her know the pain is getting to be a bit much. Whatever she did yesterday solved my problem.

Previously, I could only raise my left leg a couple of inches at most. When I returned home I found I could now raise it almost as high as my good right leg. This new ability is going to greatly help with my walking practice. Of course, I'll continue exercising my leg between sessions. So true the old saying, "No pain, no gain"

I can't say enough good things about my care at the VA. They do a great job. The VA has even ordered me a new titanium wheelchair, which will be about half the weight of my current one. It should arrive in about a month. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear VA is doing you well. Some VA clinics are good, some not so good. Some staff good, some not so good. Stick with the good ones. Good Luck mr. ed...

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great news! There are good VAs around and some not as good. I'm glad you're making progress. God bless ya.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I've heard there are some VA med centers that aren't too good. I was fortunate to be a patient in 2 good ones, Tucson and now Amarillo. I've heard a few times that Phoenix was on the bad list.

Another nice thing happened yesterday. As I was sitting in the waiting area awaiting my appointment, a VA employee was passing by and wanted to know if I'd like some lunch (there's a canteen in the building where hot food can be purchased). I didn't expect him to pay for it, so I inquired about the price. He wouldn't hear of it and brought back a meal of Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes & gravy and green beans. I was pretty hungry and finished it off before my therapy session. He was just one example of the kind of people you find at the VA. [emoticon]

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's awesome!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My VA center is in Asheville NC and my primary care doctor is the best one I have ever had in my life.
He seems to actually care about my health

Also the auditory and optical doctors are second to none

Guy

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

My VA center is in Asheville NC and my primary care doctor is the best one I have ever had in my life.
He seems to actually care about my health

Also the auditory and optical doctors are second to none

Guy

I was undergoing rehab at a civilian facility while I was in Hendersonville, NC before moving west. I wasn't part of the VA system yet. I decided it was time to join, so I drove to the VA facility in Asheville with the intention of signing up, but found it literally impossible to find a parking spot, especially a handicapped one. After driving around for quite some time, I became discouraged and gave up. Besides, I noticed the handicap ramp to the building entrance was very long and steep. Since I was planning a move westward anyway, it made little sense to begin my care in NC.

So, my first VA experience was at Tucson, and was very satisfactory indeed. I'm Just as happy here in Amarillo. in addition, since Amarillo's population is smaller than Tucson's, parking is easier and there appears to be a smaller patient load.

I'm pleased you're finding good care there in Asheville, Guy. [emoticon]

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello again. I just want to clarify something regarding my left leg improvement. While the RANGE OF MOTION has greatly improved, there is still weakness in the leg lifting muscle, which is to be expected after almost 7 years of non-use. So, there is still some effort to lift it compared to the right leg.  Between Belinda's therapy sessions and my own strengthening efforts, I'm hoping this will improve. If I can get both legs equally strong there will be a good chance of walking normally, perhaps carrying a small cane in case of balance issues.  Until then, I'll be relying on the wheelchair. Still, any improvement is better than none.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/21 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inspiring tale, thank you for sharing, @Mr._Ed. Good on you for keeping after it, and for your PT keeping after you. Never give up!

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May I harp?
If you are 50+ and experience periods of not feeling well don't screw around. Go to the doctor. You may be having episodes of heartbeat malfunction called Atrial Fibrillation.

Over a period of time unpumped blood in the heart thickens. It coagulates. When the heart resumes pumping the very thick blood can end up in a brain artery blocking it. The effects are a nightmare. A stroke.

Ignoring not feeling well when you're elderly is just plain risky. With supervised Rx medications you can decrease the certainty of a stroke by perhaps 99%.

End of mini rant

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> No Pain, No Gain!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.