cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Syracuse NY April Camping

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm from Long Island and I was able to get a COVID vaccine appointment at the Syracuse Fairgrounds in April. Are there any campgrounds open then? I looked at a few but the ones I looked at open May 1. Just looking at a Friday checkin and Sunday checkout. It's 6 hours one way and I don't feel like doing a round trip of 12+ hours with a 9 month old. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
Don't bother. Within a short period of time - almost certainly before April - the supply of COVID vaccines will be greater than the demand. When that happens you'll be able to get your vaccine where you live.

If you don't believe me, bookmark this thread and come back and look for it later.

-Speak

Not guaranteed. Hope you are right BUT...

Make a reservation at a campgound or boondock. Explain your situation or stay where the cancellation policy isn't an issue. You can always cancel your vaccine appointment if you get one sooner. There are too many unknowns you can't foresee-increased supply gets held up due to shipment issues such as weather, slots fill quickly, registration issues, etc. A bird in the hand is worth more than MAYBE having one in the bush. You have to deal with what is, not what might be.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
You may be right Speak,but why chance it? The way things are set up and allocated makes no sense to me. Hopefully someone knows how it all works.
I made an appt back in the beginning of February. for March 18th. I live in the Finger Lakes and that appointment is 90 miles away in Binghamton. I am happy to be able to get one.

The Mrs and I are over 65. We got our first dose last week in Syracuse at one of the Wegmans pharmacies. We had to drive a little over an hour to get there, but that's not too bad. We had been checking the availability at the Wegmans website daily, and all of a sudden there were appointments available at all the Syracuse stores. We were able to make an appointment for two days later, and they took care of us. Within a day, there were no more appointments available. You can always make an appointment and then cancel it if something better becomes available. Your primary care provider should have some availability; pharmacies have availability. The NYS clinics are far from your only option.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
You may be right Speak,but why chance it? The way things are set up and allocated makes no sense to me. Hopefully someone knows how it all works.
I made an appt back in the beginning of February. for March 18th. I live in the Finger Lakes and that appointment is 90 miles away in Binghamton. I am happy to be able to get one.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:
Don't bother. Within a short period of time - almost certainly before April - the supply of COVID vaccines will be greater than the demand. When that happens you'll be able to get your vaccine where you live.

If you don't believe me, bookmark this thread and come back and look for it later.

-Speak

I hope you're right Speak because where I live, we're only getting 300 doses per week for a county of 135,000. I have to wait until I'm eligible which won't be for a while (59 and no co-morbidity issues) but I want to get this behind me as fast as I can. At the current rate, it will 5 years from now.

Supply is on a steep upward curve, due to increased production and a third approved company coming on line over the weekend. Demand is dropping steadily (not because fewer people want it but because more and more people have already gotten it). Also remember - there are unknown numbers of people in your population of 135,000 who don't want it and will refuse to get it. When the upward curve crosses the downward curve SUDDENLY the news will be screaming about how we MUST get EVERYONE vaccinated NOW!!! Look for all sorts of social pressure, and maybe even government pressure, to get the unwilling vaccinated.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever boondocked? There's a Cracker Barrel 18 minutes from the NYS Fairgrounds. Many (most?) Cracker Barrels welcome RV-ers to overnight in their parking lot. Call the manager and ask. 8400 Pardee Road, Cicero NY. (315) 698-4311.

-Speak

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:

-Speak

I have mixed feelings on that. Naturally, Iโ€™d love to get it locally. Our first child was born last June and we havenโ€™t taken the camper out since September 2019. Iโ€™m also kind of hoping we can make a short trip out of this too. Lol

The fairgrounds are closed so Iโ€™ll try the other suggestions. I see a few places up there donโ€™t open until May 1. Here on Long Island everything is at least partially open by the first weekend of April.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Try West Canada Creek Campground just above Utica and an hour and 20 minutes+/- to fairgrounds. Think they open in April. Turning Stone won't open till May
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:

-Speak

I hope you're right Speak because where I live, we're only getting 300 doses per week for a county of 135,000. I have to wait until I'm eligible which won't be for a while (59 and no co-morbidity issues) but I want to get this behind me as fast as I can. At the current rate, it will 5 years from now.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer

-Speak

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Cayuga Lake state park has campsites available starting on April 23rd and is about 35 or so miles away.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Try calling the Fairground they have camping sites, but it's cold so no water.
Last time I checked it was $35 a night.
If you are a Good Sam member there is a Camping World north of the fairgrounds where you can stay over night free.