cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paddle board / kayak rack

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
We have 12 foot and 14 foot kayaks and paddle boards, we used to own a toy hauler but no longer do. We are picking up a 5th wheel and I still want to bring my water toys.
How the heck am I going to do this with this size equipment ?
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
18 REPLIES 18

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven’t made the post for my latest truck yet but I build a post that bolts on where the tow hooks bolt to carry my 18’ canoes while towing the fiver. The rear of the canoe is strapped to a headache rack.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Not mine, but this guy was happy with his homade racks.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
wowens79 wrote:
I saw this, but it is pricey. Im thinking about going to a 5er, but want to carry some yaks.
https://usrack.com/i-23909896-2007-2021-silverado-sierra-fifth-wheel-5-rack-without-crossbar-without-deck-black-5-ft-over-cab-pn-82420411.html

I’m thinking like others mentioned a ladder rack and front receiver might be the better route.
I have a US Racks like the one you linked to, only a Ford version. I like it a lot. I would definitely replace it if something happened to it. I did not get the deck, but did get the crossbars, as I carry two 12.5' fishing kayaks.

They are not cheap, but with this rack you don't have to carry around a short kayak. Life's too short! 😉
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
eDUBz wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
How long is your TV BBC? I have seen T shaped racks that pin in the receiver. Add a arch at front of bed, and a idiot hitch. With toys over cab, could overhang front 2-3 feet without issue. If a kayak is in the center, it does not need clearance to turn, only for drive axle to drop in a dip.

We have a 07 Dmax 6.5 bed - I do have a receiver up front

Well that tells me nothing. Assuming normal 1 ton sedan with no trunk lid, I will trump that from front bumper to front of bed will be more than 10 feet. Also assume front of trailer is 4 ft behind the cab, a 14 ft load sticking 18 inches past front bumper would be no issue. Now I can't say how close the toy would need to ride to keep your OAL legal.

Taxman2436 wrote:
Maybe this:

https://vertiyak.com/products/vertiyak

Tell me how this would work. Kayak 14 feet long. You mount it with 1 end on the ground. The other end is sticking half a foot above the max legal height. And given that limit may be enforced by bridges, wires, and trees won't get away with it for long.

You are correct, I missed the length.
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS

daglenn1960
Explorer
Explorer
Hobie Compass 12', we've always carried them on top of truck (long bed) with single bed rack and single roof rack bar. With a short bed you should be able to use normal roof rack pair (yakima is all that would work with our 2018 Ram).

2011 Cougar 276RLS
2007 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73
Dave, Sarah, and Ely (weim)

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I saw this, but it is pricey. Im thinking about going to a 5er, but want to carry some yaks.
https://usrack.com/i-23909896-2007-2021-silverado-sierra-fifth-wheel-5-rack-without-crossbar-without-deck-black-5-ft-over-cab-pn-82420411.html

I’m thinking like others mentioned a ladder rack and front receiver might be the better route.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
eDUBz wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
How long is your TV BBC? I have seen T shaped racks that pin in the receiver. Add a arch at front of bed, and a idiot hitch. With toys over cab, could overhang front 2-3 feet without issue. If a kayak is in the center, it does not need clearance to turn, only for drive axle to drop in a dip.

Well that tells me nothing. Assuming normal 1 ton sedan with no trunk lid, I will trump that from front bumper to front of bed will be more than 10 feet. Also assume front of trailer is 4 ft behind the cab, a 14 ft load sticking 18 inches past front bumper would be no issue. Now I can't say how close the toy would need to ride to keep your OAL legal.

Taxman2436 wrote:
Maybe this:

Tell me how this would work. Kayak 14 feet long. You mount it with 1 end on the ground. The other end is sticking half a foot above the max legal height. And given that limit may be enforced by bridges, wires, and trees won't get away with it for long.

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this:

Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
eDUBz wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:

Nice ! I’ll have to custom make something for a 14ft board - but man it
Going to be high Up

Some Harry Potter snot there; Legal OAH is 13ft 6. OAW is 8 ft 6in. So the diagonal is less than 16 ft.

eDUBz wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

I think that is you BEST option..... roof rack on the truck, extended to the front and supported by post from front hitch....

Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Inflatables, not as good, but fun for tooling around.

Yeah we sold Our inflatable sups - I like my carbon race boards

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I made a custom mount on the rear of my trailer that uses BOTH the ladder AND the 2" receiver mount for support.... We carry 2 of the 10'6" SUP's..

This was without the brace on the receiver hitch so I could fly my flags !

Nice ! I’ll have to custom make something for a 14ft board - but man it
Going to be high Up

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Think shorter toys. I have a 10.5 foot kayak I strap down on the bed for travel. Of course I have to wipe it down and put down old towels under it.

Your other options would be inflatable or there are a few versions out there that break down or fold down.

Yeah inflatables are cool but we sold ours 😞 - I like my Carbon race boards too much

I made a custom mount on the rear of my trailer that uses BOTH the ladder AND the 2" receiver mount for support.... We carry 2 of the 10'6" SUP's..

This was without the brace on the receiver hitch so I could fly my flags !

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet