Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Extended Dealer Warranty
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Extended Dealer Warranty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've bought two truck campers in my life time. While I mostly forget the details of the first transaction (I did not get a extended warranty) I do recall being hard sold a $3200 policy on the second one.

Since the dealer in question is 2hrs (and a tank of fuel) from me they countered with a $1800 offer. I declined.

The going thought is that these 'warranties' are not worth the paper they are printed on given: the cost of RV appliances, all the possible ways you can void it and last but not least, what might be actually covered in the first place.

Most (if not all) RV appliances come with a 1yr factory warranty that you can use at ANY authorized dealer of that appliance.

- Mark0.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks very much for al the replies!!!!

Ironically, as per needing a lawyer to read the fine print. My wife is one.... LOL

You've all set out what my thinking is. They try to get you with the fine print. You have to jump through umpteen hoops. They deny you by saying it was "lack of maintenance". The repair places jack their price because you have insurance so you pay anyway b/c you've exceeded the limit. They take forever. And on and on.

And after being directed to a BBB site, their are more then a few denial/ getting screwed around complaints and some outright lies made to deny claims.

And Northern Lite has a good reputation and warranty.

I'm going to pass.

They were also trying to sell a "Diamond Coat". Which I have a feeling is just a ceramic coating. Not even sure you can use it on a fiberglass shell camper like a NL. And I don't think they are really worth the cost either at almost a grand.

At the same time I'd point out they weren't pushy or telling tall tales of rave reviews for either the coating or insurance. She presented them simply and right away said we don't have to buy on the spot. So that was very much appreciated.

Thanks again for the feedback folks!

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

You have to realize that these warranty companies would not exist if they paid out more than they collect, so buying a policy is going against the odds. I look at extended warranties as lack of confidence in your purchase. If it is built properly, you will not need one. If you are concerned about that random failure that may be costly, put away the money you spend on that warranty and use it for repairs if required. Otherwise, you will have a good reserve building up for your next purchase - How you use that money will not be directed by contract.

Totally agree %100!!!

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mods ,what happened to my post?

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased the extended warranty with our purchase of our 2015 rig. We had no use of it until these last 2 years before expiration. We have had our frig door replaced, awning motor replaced and leveling system repaired. It helped but still didn’t make the initial cost of the warranty worth it.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Jim2007

Greeley, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Save your money. I have had two extended warrant in the passed and they never paid on any repairs . . To much fine print exclusions.. Jim2007...

TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Extended Dealer Warranty
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.