Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Axle Service
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Axle Service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I understand the cost of parts and retail cost of labor and for the work you're wanting/needing done, $750/axle isn't "bad."
Sure you can buy all the parts you need for somewhere between $25 (for a couple tubes of grease, parts cleaner etc and $500 (new complete brake assemblies and bearings/seals), but you aren't planning on tearing it apart in your driveway and repairing it, so $500 (worst case) in parts marked up 100% + the better part of a days labor @$100+/hr = $1500 all in to replace everything but drums is about right.

You can have the trailer place inspect and reuse parts, but bearings are cheap and not much savings to completely clean out old bearings vs popping in new. Brakes, provided they are in good working order, I would at a minimum replace the shoes. They may not be near worn out, but I just recently had a couple linings fall off the brake shoes on my 2005 trailer. Appears most are bonded not riveted.

Basically, $1500 gets you everything new and your hands don't get greasy. From there you or the shop could choose to save some of the parts, but you're paying similar labor charges either way.

RV dealer is a rip-off.

Man, I am glad I don't live where you do.

You can buy complete brake/backing plate assy's in left and right pairs for $95 HERE

Two axles takes two sets of the above so $190 plus shipping for all four wheels.

About $100 per drum (which gives you brand new bearings and seals) so four drums = $400 plus shipping..

So, to fully refresh all brakes, bearings and drums we are talking $600 plus shipping..

To replace all parts should take no more than 15 minutes per wheel just removing and slapping on all new parts..

Say 1 hr of labor at $150 per hr..

Most places do not "double" the cost of materials, more like adding about 25% on top of materials so call it $750 in materials and $150 in labor or $900 for all four wheels out the door cost..

However, I seriously doubt that full on replacement of brakes and drums will be needed.. Myself, I had to replace the backing plates a few yrs ago on a 30+ yr old TT and they WERE the ORIGINAL BRAKES!

I suspect it will be more like just check and adjust the brakes and clean and repack the bearings so in reality, the only "parts" would be needed is maybe $40 in new seals and a few scoops of grease.. maybe 1-2 hrs of labor (2hrs if they are padding the bill)..

Many auto repair shops typically charge less than $100 per wheel to "service" the brakes and sometimes you can catch a deal at $40 per wheel if you shop around..

Myself, it is an easy thing to do so I pull, check and adjust as needed instead of paying a mechanic..

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also question what you are asking them to do? What is service the axel? New brakes and new bearings, or just check and repack?

I paid $30 to repack bearings and check brakes when they were installing new tires a few months back. Very simple and took a few minutes. I think I have one bearing that is wearing a little, but they told me when I get tires next (5 years or so) I should change that bearing.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Man, I am glad I don't live where you do.

You can buy complete brake/backing plate assy's in left and right pairs for $95 HERE

Two axles takes two sets of the above so $190 plus shipping for all four wheels.

About $100 per drum (which gives you brand new bearings and seals) so four drums = $400 plus shipping..

So, to fully refresh all brakes, bearings and drums we are talking $600 plus shipping..

To replace all parts should take no more than 15 minutes per wheel just removing and slapping on all new parts..

Say 1 hr of labor at $150 per hr..

Most places do not "double" the cost of materials, more like adding about 25% on top of materials so call it $750 in materials and $150 in labor or $900 for all four wheels out the door cost..

However, I seriously doubt that full on replacement of brakes and drums will be needed.. Myself, I had to replace the backing plates a few yrs ago on a 30+ yr old TT and they WERE the ORIGINAL BRAKES!

I suspect it will be more like just check and adjust the brakes and clean and repack the bearings so in reality, the only "parts" would be needed is maybe $40 in new seals and a few scoops of grease.. maybe 1-2 hrs of labor (2hrs if they are padding the bill)..

Many auto repair shops typically charge less than $100 per wheel to "service" the brakes and sometimes you can catch a deal at $40 per wheel if you shop around..

Myself, it is an easy thing to do so I pull, check and adjust as needed instead of paying a mechanic..

You're right, prices are steep on most stuff around here.
But you're right, I was off by a factor of 2 on the brake assemblies. $100/pr not $100/ea if you get them on line.
Speaking of prices, I needed 1 set of brake shoes last week to get me by on my snowmachine trailer. Typical 3500lb manual adjust Dexters.
Trailer place nearby was $40.....$$$$40 for one set of shoes. 2 shoes, 1 wheel!

Every shop I've been around recently has about a 100% markup on the "average" parts price. Buddy is a mechanic at a small local shop. Same there too. And not specific to this area, had to pay someone to put a new clutch in my truck in AK. Shop owner was a solid, honest guy. Said, buy your own parts if you want, other wise I'll charge you double...
Anyway, yes it could be done for less than $500 in "dealer" parts provided drums/hubs are fine. Or under $300 in the driveway.

I'm a pretty good wrench, but it's still an hour a wheel all in if you're replacing bearings, brake assemblies.
But, yeah $1500 is also HIGH, even at Seattle prices.
Like you said, depends what it needs.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What did you tell the shops?

If you told them what you posted here... They are likely quoting a worst case scenario.
There is really no way to tell just what is needed without someone getting their hands dirty.
Since you have been pumping grease into them, you may have a greasy mess in there.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
540 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My word, more than a thousand dollars!? Look, I have a 2006 Airstream and I take mine into the Airstream dealer. Most of you are probably thinking that they must charge an arm and a leg for service. Not true. I have had this trailer since 2009 and always have the dealership work on it. To "service" an axle means to take off the wheels, repack the bearings, check the condition of the magnets and adjust the brakes if needed. They also told me that I should do this every 10K miles. Go by mileage and not time. Service is just this. If you need new brakes or new axles, then lots of money makes more sense. Last time it was about $100 per axle. I think it actually came in a tad under that. Will be due next year...probably will be more.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did my own last year. 4 new bacing plates which include megnets, shoes, springs etc. $400. Easy to install. Drums were good. Just repack bearings. You should be able to buy complete axle asemblies for that price.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What exactly are they doing? A simple repack with new seals? Or all new brake assemblies with new drums and bearings?

If it were me......I would just repack the existing bearings (if they show no signs of failure) and reuse the drums with new seals. And install new self adjusting brake assemblies. Shouldn't be no more than $250 in parts and maybe another $250 in labor.

BTW.......how old are your tires?

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Speaking of prices, I needed 1 set of brake shoes last week to get me by on my snowmachine trailer. Typical 3500lb manual adjust Dexters.
Trailer place nearby was $40.....$$$$40 for one set of shoes. 2 shoes, 1 wheel!

Correct!

Not to mention, generally is always a good idea to change both sides at the same time, otherwise you have one side that is well bedded in and one side that needs bedded in for best brake operation.

That is why it generally has been said that it often is more economical over all to just buy new backing plates since you get all new parts including new magnets.

Acutally not a bad deal considering you get 100% fresh new mechanical parts and everything is assembled.

Just remove 4 nuts and the whole shebang falls off in your hand..

Over all a very quick change out.

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the information everyone! I'm going to look into doing this myself.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

boosTT wrote:

Thanks for the information everyone! I'm going to look into doing this myself.

If you can take off a wheel and turn a wrench it is very easy. If you haven’t done it before it will be a full day for you. Once you do I wheel the rest will be easy!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Axle Service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.