cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pets are sensitive and caring

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Son In Law's brother brought their Mother to live with SIL and my Daughter, He has SIL's dog, a Japanese hunting dog, rare breed, now for his companion. He saved his life when he had a massive heart attack and kept going from his bedroom to their Mother's attempting to and finally getting the message through to her to call someone.
I am chronically ill and the other day I was sitting on the couch watching TV and not really functional. Felt like death.
Keyoto came to me squeezed up tight to one leg and laid his head on my lap and looked into my eyes. He didn't make a sound but was saying I care. His warmth made me tear a bit. I scratched his ears and talked to him and he never moved, until my wife came to check on me.
I thought my Dakota was the only dog like that. Dogs are intelligent and they care for their people. I first saw the dog in 2012, as just a months old pup. he would grab my pants leg and shake it trying to pull me off my feet. He loved attention and has more energy the 10 people.
He is now 9yearsold, in his prime and wise. Too bad dogs don't usually live more than 1 5years
24 REPLIES 24

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Yesterday I received my second covid shot. From lack of sleep and arm being sore I went back to bed and slept to 3:30 this afternoon. Sawyer (my smooth Collie) laid beside me instead of going outside to play with Sasha.

I hope my Tornado-dog develops some strong collie traits. He's got the smooth collie coat and is getting the size.

I had a sore arm for several days with the 1st shot. For the 2nd, the nurse did it higher up - almost to the shoulder - and I barely had any soreness.

Hope Sawyer made it all better. 😉
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I received my second covid shot. From lack of sleep and arm being sore I went back to bed and slept to 3:30 this afternoon. Sawyer (my smooth Collie) laid beside me instead of going outside to play with Sasha.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Delete
RVing since 1995.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
DJcoh wrote:
Just another great cat story. Every cat is a cat God.

And some are Cat Gods among cat gods.

Or so my Looney1 tells me daily.

DJcoh
Explorer
Explorer
Just another great cat story. Every cat is a cat God.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
Dakota passed in 16 I think. On one occasion I looked up and h was coming from the rear doors, someone had come in, and headed for where his bed was. heart jumped.
Not too many days ago SIL came n front door and right behind him Dakota headed for where his bed had been.In 72 years I have seen many things and keep most of them to myself. It's hard seeing him and missing him. Imagination when not thinking of him?

Some things are not meant to be explained. He's just telling you he misses you too.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Great story!

I've always believed that animals have more empathy than they've been given credit for.
Recently a study determined that dogs can hold grudges. I told that to a friend and she said "well duh!". Years ago, she had barked back at my Bat-dog - Bat-dog held that grudge for years and it took Aunt C a lot of hard work to be forgiven.

Which breed is he? My dad's akita woke my niece up when an outlet in her room started sparking during the night.

I don't remember the breed.He has a double coat or fur. His tail is in loop over rear of his back. He's a bit fat but I would say normal weight
is 40 lb. He has black and white on muzzle and ears and stockings. Body color is not tawny but a bit paler. Can't let him out without a leash as he will go hunting and it may be a long time before he comes back.

That's pretty typical for the Japanese breeds. There are several breeds about that size that are not common in the states. All are pretty similar in temperament with the akita and the small shiba.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota passed in 16 I think. On one occasion I looked up and h was coming from the rear doors, someone had come in, and headed for where his bed was. heart jumped.
Not too many days ago SIL came n front door and right behind him Dakota headed for where his bed had been.In 72 years I have seen many things and keep most of them to myself. It's hard seeing him and missing him. Imagination when not thinking of him?

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Great story!

I've always believed that animals have more empathy than they've been given credit for.
Recently a study determined that dogs can hold grudges. I told that to a friend and she said "well duh!". Years ago, she had barked back at my Bat-dog - Bat-dog held that grudge for years and it took Aunt C a lot of hard work to be forgiven.

Which breed is he? My dad's akita woke my niece up when an outlet in her room started sparking during the night.

I don't remember the breed.He has a double coat or fur. His tail is in loop over rear of his back. He's a bit fat but I would say normal weight
is 40 lb. He has black and white on muzzle and ears and stockings. Body color is not tawny but a bit paler. Can't let him out without a leash as he will go hunting and it may be a long time before he comes back.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My other pet peeve (no pun intended) with dog movies is that they always end with a litter of puppies. It's OK that my dog died because before he died he got out and knocked up some female and now I have 6-8 puppies to take his place.

One of my favorite dog movies is the first K-9 with Jim Belushi. No puppies at the end (they waited for the sequel to have puppies).

I also hate the "found a cat, give it milk" standard in movies.

On a side note, I make all my dogs watch an episode of the 80s tv show Forever Knight. In the episode, a seeing eye dog gets bit by a vampire and turns into a vampire dog. His owner used to fly helicopters until she went blind. The good vampire hero is determined to stake the dog because a loose vampire dog is worse than a rabid one. The dog escapes him and runs back home. You hear the owner scream. The next scene is dog and owner standing in the park just after sunset and they fly off together.

I always tell my dogs that this is what a good dog is all about. 😉

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
My hubby and I watched this movie on Netflix yesterday called, Synchronic. I had to get up and leave because he put his dog in danger in the movie and then lost him!!! The movie gets a one star to no stars from me because of that.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot even watch the movie "The Fox and the Hound!!!"
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
We didn't see a lot of disney animal movies as kids because so often the animal died.

My wife won't watch Old Yeller again, once was enough and that was many years ago.

I've never seen Bambi.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
We didn't see a lot of disney animal movies as kids because so often the animal died.

My wife won't watch Old Yeller again, once was enough and that was many years ago.