Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help! Water under the skin, delamination and damage.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help! Water under the skin, delamination and damage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Joe417

AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought an 05 990 in 2011 or 2012, I've forgotten when. It had leaks in several locations. I planned to repair all the issues "next winter".

I did maintenance and stopped all the leaks. I repaired the rotten areas under the battery box and gas compartment. I also replaced the bottom cover under the basement.

I never got around to repairing the front cap. After stopping all the leaks we have used it year after year. The skin of the front cap and beneath the bed is backed only by card board. Once it dried it still had a few waves/ripples in it but wasn't rotten and it hasn't fallen apart.

The only thing that I had to do was get the musty/rotten wood smell out, which turned out to be the two spots of rot on the wings. I think that would have dried too but I had no choice, the wife said so.

You need to stop the leaks first. No silicon. I use Dicor but any of the usual camper sealers will work.

On my AF, the front cap leaks were the clearance lights.

If you are handy with repairs, you can repair it to better than factory, but it does take a little work. In 2010 I replaced the roof and front cap on one with my wife's help. It took us 3 months of week ends.

There were a lot of examples on RV.net but they may no longer be available as we've lost photo storage servers. I'm sure if you ask specific questions someone can help.

I forgot to mention, 100% of the info you get on this web site is opinion, including mine, so read up on what you need to fix before drilling and cutting. One opinion rather than another may be better for your particular need. Once you've taken a particular route it may be hard to recover.

* This post was edited 04/26/21 08:45pm by Joe417 *

Joe & Evelyn

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I forgot to mention, 100% of the info you get on this web site is opinion” ....

Huh??.... I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that opinions was what the OP was seeking - lol

3 tons

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/21 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend getting a non-invasive moisture meter. It works like a stud finder and measures the moisture level inside the walls. This will tell you how far the water has traveled and how bad it is. I had several places on my camper that were 100% and water literally dripped out when I opened the wall up.

There is a link to my Lance rebuild project in my signature. These campers are always repairable, the problem is it's not worth it to pay somebody to do it if it's older then 10 years. Remember that the average life of an RV fridge is 12-15 years, so consider that as well.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear this about your camper. I do believe 2006 was the first year of Aluminum frame, as that's what I looked for several years ago, but ICBW. Do your research on it.

I feel for the fact that you got taken on this deal. And it appears you're not the person who will be tearing the camper apart and rebuilding it. However, if the overhead area is solid enough structurally (no bows or wrinkles in the sides that would indicate the frame is actually sagging), just do what you can and go camping. I think venting the bottom of the overhead is a good idea, maybe it will dry out. If you can locate the framing, you could drill some small pilot holes and see if the framing is solid. If so, let it dry as long as you can "sagging" and then you could neatly re-attach the sagging filon skin to the framing with some small screws with fender washers.

This is all a guess, as I haven't seen it, but I can say have had 2 of those campers and both leaked up front, prior to my purchase, to varying degrees and I did some minor repairs, sealed the leaks (upper clearance lights mostly) and used them for years without any issue.
1 of which began leaking on my watch and I ended up drilling small holes to let the water out.

Bottom line, it's not good, but it may not be that bad.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad campers are out there. looked at a 2016 TT a couple weeks ago. Big rounded filon nose piece.
COuldnt see the wrinkles in the pics. Got there and it was SOFT from the outside. Said something to the seller, he said it's solid, they're all like that, check inside. But only push near the top! LOL It was soft on the inside too.
Told him to gfhs and maybe he shouldn't have neglected his camper for years, thanks for wasting my time....

Lancey

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.nroa2003.com/download/Northw........chures/2005-Camper-Brochure-pd-11-04.pdf

Once again, her 2005 Silverfox edition is aluminum frame, water intrusion on this camper will not effect its main structure and is quite repairable compared to its wood framed counterpart.

2005 arctic fox 990 silverfox
2008 Silverado ltz drw duramax 6speed allison

1999 Kodiak k99 / 2008 ford f450 6spd manual. SOLD
2000 citation supreme SOLD
1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help! Water under the skin, delamination and damage.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.