Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is the year of the coach based on the year of the chassis
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

 > Is the year of the coach based on the year of the chassis

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Jarlaxle

New England

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/21 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very common on anything with an aftermarket body...I have seen shuttle buses with a 2 year difference (they were 2001 bodies on 1999 chassis, titled as 2001). My first box truck at work was a 2004 F-650 with a 2005 box.


John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 2 nutty cats...RIP, Maya ">
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to furnish AAA insurance a copy of the sales contract to prove our rig was a 2004 because the VIN shows it as a 2003 rig. We didn't want our rig identified as a 2003 in the event of a total wreck scenario.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This will continue to be a PITA for most self-propelled RVs. Because EPA, DOT and MVSS regulations are all tied to the model year of the chassis, RV upfitters can no longer identify the unit by their own model year. Years back, the final upfitter would assign a VIN of their choosing, but as soon as the powers that be forced the 17 character VINs as a primary certification, that all had to change.

Matt


Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.


EMD360

Arvada, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 01/18/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/25/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t see the problem as both of our RV’s had split model years and it is inconsequential that DMV treats the chassis according to the VIN number year. Shops look up the VIN for parts. But the build was done in the stated year so the inside was new then. So common as to not really cause issues unless specifically wanting the newer Ford chassis.


2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021


ferndaleflyer

everywhere

Senior Member

Joined: 03/31/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might think different if you think you bought a new one and when you register your brand new $230,000+ coach it is 2 years old and you haven't even used it yet.

klutchdust

Orange, California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/25/21 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

You might think different if you think you bought a new one and when you register your brand new $230,000+ coach it is 2 years old and you haven't even used it yet.


You did buy a new coach. The chassis has been sitting waiting for the house to be built. The date it is completed is the registered date of the vehicle and on the title. If the states listened to federal law then there would be less confusion. I see no conspiracy or hiding the facts here, it's a common practice.
You buy a 2021 and it's on a 2020 chassis the title says its a 2021 . You sell it it's a 2021. kapeesh?

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/25/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

You might think different if you think you bought a new one and when you register your brand new $230,000+ coach it is 2 years old and you haven't even used it yet.


You did buy a new coach. The chassis has been sitting waiting for the house to be built. The date it is completed is the registered date of the vehicle and on the title. If the states listened to federal law then there would be less confusion. I see no conspiracy or hiding the facts here, it's a common practice.
You buy a 2021 and it's on a 2020 chassis the title says its a 2021 . You sell it it's a 2021. kapeesh?


This is the problem. Very few rigs are properly registered. The state DMVs will automatically go by the chassis VIN, so unless you are aware and are planned to fight it and get them to correct the model year, that 2021 is registered as a 2020. And you have to sell it as a 2020.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

klutchdust

Orange, California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/25/21 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

klutchdust wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

You might think different if you think you bought a new one and when you register your brand new $230,000+ coach it is 2 years old and you haven't even used it yet.


You did buy a new coach. The chassis has been sitting waiting for the house to be built. The date it is completed is the registered date of the vehicle and on the title. If the states listened to federal law then there would be less confusion. I see no conspiracy or hiding the facts here, it's a common practice.
You buy a 2021 and it's on a 2020 chassis the title says its a 2021 . You sell it it's a 2021. kapeesh?


This is the problem. Very few rigs are properly registered. The state DMVs will automatically go by the chassis VIN, so unless you are aware and are planned to fight it and get them to correct the model year, that 2021 is registered as a 2020. And you have to sell it as a 2020.


That's incorrect. The Title given to the buyer from the manufacturer has the year the unit was completed regardless of the chassis year. My 2009 itasca had a 2008 Chassis. I had in my possession the original title from Itasca.It said 2009. Now, California chooses to not educate their DMV what is federal law. All that is needed is a letter from
the manufacturer stating the law, which by the way is easy to get, and you present it to DMV. I did mine through AAA. There was no fighting involved. They changed it
without a problem.
California checks VIN numbers from out of state vehicles and are too ignorant to understand the partial build laws. IF it was purchased in Ca, no problem.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

Senior Member

Joined: 03/31/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is everyone in CA this ignorant of what goes on in the rest of the world? Come on man!

klutchdust

Orange, California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/26/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Is everyone in CA this ignorant of what goes on in the rest of the world? Come on man!


Not everyone ,just the DMV.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

 > Is the year of the coach based on the year of the chassis
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.