Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: advisability to turn off battery periodically
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> advisability to turn off battery periodically

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 4 days, the WFCO was still hitting the BRAND NEW battery with 13.68 volts and there was evidence of gassing. After disconnecting, the battery had 12.9 volts which is perfect 100% charge. WFCO failed to drop to 13.2 (the TT is empty and locked). It is my opinion that there was a 50:50 chance the WFCO gassed the electrolyte below the plates and fried the battery because I didn't check it for 3 months (forgot).

My theory is the reason there is a WFCO in the camper in the first place is that WFCO is the cheapest Forest River could find.... which I confirmed by an Amazon search.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WFCO products are JUNK. Always have been. ALL WFCO products are cheap China knock offs of existing good companies products. YES, OEM's use WFCO because they are CHEAPER.
It is BEST to have a LOAD(Battery) Connected to any Converter. It helps regulate the output voltage to prevent voltage spikes. Doug

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting what Doug wrote. The same is true for older motorcycles and cars. The battery acts as a buffer. Its a giant capacitor. Able to absorb spikes.

That said i also suffer in a Forest River trailer with a WFCO converter. Keep my battery switch turned off. One day the WFCO will die and something better will take its place.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop,

Otherwise known as and "accumulator".

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I'll guess I'll leave it 'on' and keep an eye on the water level, and as soon as things wind down here, will replace the WFCO if continued monitoring continues to show that the dang thing keeps trying to fry my battery. Got enough to worry about, what with tires, towing, ......

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

OK, I'll guess I'll leave it 'on' and keep an eye on the water level, and as soon as things wind down here, will replace the WFCO if continued monitoring continues to show that the dang thing keeps trying to fry my battery. Got enough to worry about, what with tires, towing, ......

Plan to replace it. For now use a timer and charge 1 hour per day, if in storage.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that is not talked about is when you keep the batteries plugin 27/7 like many on here do, there is a chemical action taking place and some amount of plate shedding takes place. I don't know how to quantify it but I don't leave mine plugged in. From Oct to April they are disconnected and stay in the MH all winter. Batteries self discharge about 20%(much slower in cold weather). In the summer if the MH is not being used it stays disconnected until batteries reach 80% SOC. A timer is is a good idea if you are not there to check your batteries. Does anyone have an idea of how much plate is lost at various voltages as a function of time?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac,

The positive plate sheds. There is pretty much nada you can do about it. Cold helps slow the process down, and heat speeds it up.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

OK, I'll guess I'll leave it 'on'
Why? People over estimate the self discharge rate of a healthy battery. Most campers dont really have a clue how batteries work. Not their fault, just aint their hobby. There is something to be said about the mentality of someone who buys an RV, then drives it to a pad and parks it like a house and considers it camping. These are the folks who tell you they leave their trailer hooked up 24/7 and "never had a problem".

A lot of times the people who never had a problem are not informed enough to recognize the start of a problem. To them a battery works, or its dead and need to be replaced.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as a sample of perspective of the meaning of a high duration lead acid battery...
My 2 volts weigh 667 pounds each x2 plus steel container.
They have .300" thick positive plates
1.260 tropical blend adjusted electrolyte.
And there are 12 containers 2 batteries each.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> advisability to turn off battery periodically
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.