Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help Ram 2500 6.4 gas vs diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Help Ram 2500 6.4 gas vs diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

packpe89 wrote:

It is also much easier to fuel up on the trip with the diesel, utilizing truck stops instead of mingling with cars at the gas pumps.

I've had both gas and diesel and found the opposite.

Of course, we typically top out around 250miles in a day, so we fill up before hooking up.

I can stop at any gas station and use any pump with the current gas truck.

With the diesel, I had to wait in line for one of the single diesel pumps at smaller stations or go stand in a puddle of diesel at a truck stop before carefully working the high speed nozzle, so it wouldn't spit up on me adding to the puddle.

On the rare occasions when we do fill up with trailer in tow, it's usually at the big stations right off of an exit, so no big deal mixing with cars.

Or, in summary, fueling up is non issue regardless which team you're batting for....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm scratching my head here... Who is holding a gun to your head saying you HAVE to get that giant Montana 5th whee?

There are hundreds if not thousands of 5th wheel trailer models on the market with plenty of room for a family of three, that aren't giant 18,000lb portable McMansions. Go shopping.

Are you in a position to trade trucks? Usually when someone has just purchased a truck, having to turn around and trade it for another one is quite a financial hardship. But hey, if you've got the cake and don't mind spending it, you can trade trucks every other day for all I care.

I guess in a roundabout way what I am trying to say is you can find a trailer that fits your truck, and your needs. All you need to do is look.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Good points. And the OP is trying to figure that out it seems.
If he gets bit by the “gotta have _____ because it’s bigger than my brother in laws camper” , then may as well pony up for a diesel now.
If he can talk the wifey out of the 1-1/2 bath Tajmahauler condo on wheels for 2 adults and one miniature person to go to the State park and ride bikes and cook smores on the weekends in the summer, then the options are almost endless.

To the OP, IMO don’t get hung up on a 5ver for casual use. Yes they tow “better” in some respects, but most tag trailers pull fine too and the end result for the casual user is the same. You tow a big trailer down the road to somewhere and then grab a cold beer out of the fridge inside and make dinner and have a few cocktails and go to sleep.

I didn’t realize the vast number of different or unique offerings in the bp toyhauler market until searching the last few months. Within a specific “similar” range, there are probably 100 different models out there all a bit different. And advantages or drawbacks with each depending on the buyers preferences.
Once a person begins looking in detail and comparing different models and brands, the differences become obvious. But starting out it’s sort of a “these pretty much look the same, idk why this one is 30% more expensive....or cheaper.”

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

noteven wrote:

Why do we "hooray" more tran mission speeds in pickup trucks then complain when the truck shifts gears when we are towing?

Are you 4x4ord's alter ego?

No.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Help Ram 2500 6.4 gas vs diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.