cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exhaust Manifold

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of replacing my exhaust manifold and have a few broken studs in the Head.I tried welding a nut on the stud and using an easy out, all failed.

I was able to drill them through and will nut and bolt them. Has anyone done this, was wondering if this is OK. The engine is a 5.9 Cummins 12V.
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW
5 REPLIES 5

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, but like I said in my post I tried eveything so my question was has anyone used a nut and bolt once the hole is drilled out. I am able to get a nut on the back of the mounting ear on the head but am worried that doing this might crack the ear.
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

Bruce_Brown
Tom/Barb wrote:
Next use nickel anti seize.

YES!

Ceramic and graphite also work. Nickel and ceramic are the only 2 I'll use. Using the copper based stuff is just like welding it in. Want to ask me how I know. :B
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
I work on old tractors a lot. A trick a guy taught me was to first weld a flat washer to the broken bolt, then weld a bolt on. It works well.

The other thing I do with exhaust manifold bolts is try all the bolts and loosen the ones that come quite easily. Then get the engine as warm as possible before trying the hard ones. Sometimes a little heat before loosening, saves a lot of aggravation after.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Next use nickel anti seize.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as you can get them out. Had it happen many times on Gas engines. About the only way to get them out.