cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How windy?

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I visited my son on Saturday and the wind from the southwest was blowing 30+ mph gusting over fifty. I saw a number of trucks towing campers heading north but none heading south.
Just how winding does it have to to be for you to pull over and wait for the wind to die down.
I told the wife that there was no way I would been out in that wind towing our fifth wheel.
13 REPLIES 13

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
memtb wrote:
grizz272 wrote:
I visited my son on Saturday and the wind from the southwest was blowing 30+ mph gusting over fifty. I saw a number of trucks towing campers heading north but none heading south.
Just how winding does it have to to be for you to pull over and wait for the wind to die down.
I told the wife that there was no way I would been out in that wind towing our fifth wheel.

This is a question often presented from time to time.

I firmly believe that the weight of the rv weighs heavily (pun intended) into the equation. The heavier the towed unit, the higher the wind velocity you can safely handle.

On our recent โ€œmarathon tripโ€, we encountered high winds from Oklahoma (a rather intense Thunderstorm just north of OK City) up through Cheyenne, Wy. Our 5th wheel weighs in @ 20K pounds, and we had zero issues.....no discomfort. We passed numerous tractor/trailer rigs that seemed to be having some difficulty.

I donโ€™t think that there is any โ€œconcreteโ€ wind speed number. Everyone must make their decision based upon their comfort level! The heavier the unit the better it handles a hard cross-wind! That said, when/if that heavier unit does become unstable.....the more difficult it is to correct!

It really comes down to your comfort level! memtb

Very likely empty or very light load in 53ft at 13'6" makes a great sail.

Edd505, Yes they do! My wife and I were owner/operators for a while.....nothing worse than a very light 53โ€™ van.....well maybe โ€œblack iceโ€ with wind! ;)! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
There is too much to worry about in this RVing. Always remember, you might get hit with a blue icicle that falls of a 737, so look up often.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
grizz272 wrote:

I firmly believe that the weight of the rv weighs heavily (pun intended) into the equation. The heavier the towed unit, the higher the wind velocity you can safely handle.

On our recent โ€œmarathon tripโ€, we encountered high winds from Oklahoma (a rather intense Thunderstorm just north of OK City) up through Cheyenne, Wy. Our 5th wheel weighs in @ 20K pounds, and we had zero issues.....no discomfort. We passed numerous tractor/trailer rigs that seemed to be having some difficulty.

I donโ€™t think that there is any โ€œconcreteโ€ wind speed number. Everyone must make their decision based upon their comfort level! The heavier the unit the better it handles a hard cross-wind! That said, when/if that heavier unit does become unstable.....the more difficult it is to correct!

Very likely empty or very light load in 53ft at 13'6" makes a great sail.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
memtb, glad you made it to the wedding, high winds, and all.

Thanks Gary! But, thanks to the little cold snap in the South in late February....I missed her wedding! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ But, at least I got a short visit with all of them!

For a brief explanation of the โ€œveryโ€ short visit see my post about โ€œ5050 Miles in 9 Travel Daysโ€! Pretty much a 13 day disaster! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Wind advisory's I go, wind warnings no.
The older we get, the faster we go

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
memtb, glad you made it to the wedding, high winds, and all.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Been in 40 MPH gusts with no issues. Haven't ever pulled over for wind.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never stopped for wing and have been in far worse than mentioned bu the OP. Mobile Suites and DRW truck at 34k combined are VERY stable.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crosswinds over 25mph keeps me grounded.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:

Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sustained 25 and/or gusts to 35 and Iโ€™m done.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Good sites to know...Thanks
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's really pushing things.

I usually cap it around 20-25mph though direction does matter (I check the forecast before heading out). On open level areas, I'm a bit more comfortable with higher winds as they have less effect and tend to be more consistent. If it's a tail wind, I'll accept slightly higher winds as it's less of an issue and you get a nice MPG boost. Running into a 25mph headwind, isn't a big control issue but really kills the MPG.

If in the mountains, it's a bigger issue as there are often changes in wind direction as it swirls around and as you pass valleys, there can be sudden cross winds.

I use the following to check on wind conditions along the route:
www.windfinder.com
www.ventusky.com
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV