Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Florida domicile people do you stay 6 months there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Florida domicile people do you stay 6 months there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island Lake

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And you can return for visits, just dont rent any spaces longer than necessary, avoid anything tainted by NY as much as possible.
I still own a house in Va, but have not been there for 4 months. And electric bills prove it.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We still own a home and property in Western NY, but have been Florida residents for going on 10 years.
We use the GS Mail Service out of Crestview, Florida and all bills including NY County/Town property and School tax bills go to that address.
When we got licenses/registrations in Florida we had to show several bills with the Crestview address and hand them our NY Drivers license.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

When we got licenses/registrations in Florida we had to show several bills with the Crestview address and hand them our NY Drivers license.

I am a native FL resident so I never had to go thru the process. But from what I hear it varies by counties, different Tax Assessors, the St Brendans Isle people seem to have smoothed the way with their local county, I don't know about Crestview but once you get thru the process you are done. I have heard some people complaining about trying to do it by themselves in the Tampa Bay area and being refused. Apocryphal of course. And Tax Assessors come and go with the election seasons but I'd guess they are rarely voted out.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/21 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle S...do you stay in florida for six months?

Donna

Our Blog

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We in Florida 6 to 8, but Florida does care how long you stay.
When we did everything we were in Fort Pierce on the East Coast as we've never set foot in Crestview. And I agree it varies from County to County because we've had friends that didn't show anything other then vehicle title and drivers license.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing wrong with owning property in different states, I own property in 3. You can claim residence in any of them and you can't be in more than one permanently.

Ro"n"Joe

Full Timing

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/21 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No for sure you don't need to spend 6 months in FL. We flew into Crestview FL scheduled 5 days to set up the domicile and actually did it in one afternoon. May take longer because we just switched our Montana LLC registration in April to FL and took 3 hrs waiting in line at the Crestview DMV office. Supposedly can set up appointments now to save time at the DMV office. Afterwards we went to a lawyer to set up our living will. You need to set up a mailing address ASAP to show bills with your new FL address. We use MyRVmail.com who has been great to work with for just over 1.5yrs now.

2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/21 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcason wrote:

Yeah, NY makes me wonder...greedy. We will be selling house end of July in NY but have grandchildren in NY so May - September? and possibly a month around christmas would be NY. It is not like we will never return...have ties there.
Donna

May-September plus December is 6-7 months in NY each year.

That sounds like you are domiciling in NY. And that sounds pretty legitimate (not intrinsically greedy) if NY decides to challenge your domicile. No guarantee they will come after you but it really comes across that you are playing the system without really changing your domicile.

Not sure where the grandkids are geographically but if near a state border, consider getting a campground just outside the state or do a month in NY and a month outside. If you cut down your time in NY to 3-4 months, you have a much stronger case...particularly if you spend more time in your new domicile state.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Florida domicile people do you stay 6 months there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.