Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Heavy duty hitch extension??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heavy duty hitch extension??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the smallest Arctic Fox truck camper, the 811.

I also have an 8.5x20 race trailer with a 10k GVWR. My first trip with the trailer, I loaded my well built Jeep TJ in it. The trailer was a little over 10k.
It was not a pleasant experiencing hauling nearly 4k lbs in the truck bed and towing that much weight.

I never hauled the Jeep in the trailer again.

If I had a need to haul that much or more trailer weight again, I wouldn't be doing it with a truck and camper. I'd get a Renegade toterhome.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pete_k wrote:

Here you go and this guy is doing it Commercial. 3500 ram with the trailer extended to the factory hitch..

I would bet that trailer has nowhere near 2000lbs of tongue weight.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve pulled a 23 ft TT behind my truck. It was no issue at all. I couldn’t even feel it was there. YMMV, but not all trucks are created equal. I’ve also pulled a smaller TT on a 1000 mile trip, it was a smaller one, but again, the only way I knew it was there is that I kept looking to make sure it was still there. It was fully loaded for a week long trip.

The point is with the proper gearing and truck, pulling a trailer isn’t much of an issue for trucks that are rated for 24K loads even if some of the weight is a TC.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8wj2r5w wrote:

I have a Mega Cab dually Ram that I use to tow a 15K race trailer. I want to get a camper for the truck, but the highest capacity hitch/extension setup I can find is the Torklift. Their extension is only rated at 12K and worse, only 1200 lbs tongue weight. My trailer is over 2000 lbs tongue weight. Has anyone on here had anything custom built to tow heavy trailers? Thanks!

What about this...

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/new-tag-axle-improves-truck-camper-hauling-options/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heavy duty hitch extension??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.