Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Thor Industries now has $14 billion in backlogged orders
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Thor Industries now has $14 billion in backlogged orders

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

The part that confuses me is the huge inventories these RV dealers seem to have, especially towables. We just returned from a couple road trips, passing many RV dealers on the Interstate, with lots that literally look full. You can't convince me those are all sold units.

Maybe they're all waiting for warranty repairs [emoticon]

I'm only half joking, I called a few dealers around here for a repair and their first available appointment was 2 months (or more) out. I ended up fixing it myself, but I'd be pretty upset if I had a brand new RV that needed a repair and I had to wait weeks or even months for the dealer to even look at it.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We picked up a new trailer last October. They had plenty on the lot and got 1/3 off the MSRP.

Then we took an 8000mile loop of the USA and never saw an RV sales lot without lots of units.

I would think if they can't get enough units to sell, they would be selling for close to MSRP.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tal/IL

Central Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A large RV dealership near me currently lists 122 New RVs on their website. I count 31 of them that are on-site now, and the rest say "coming soon".

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV lots around my area of Alabama has plenty towables for sale. My local Gander RV is well stocked, from tiny tear drops to monster toy haulers.

Lots of Grand Design units for sale in Gadsden. I'm surprised people think those are good quality durable units on the web reviews, to me they are built like ultra light models. Very thin counter tops, very light duty cabinets and the floors flex as I walk around. I own an old light weight 5th wheel toy hauler, my cabinets and cheapo laminate counter tops feel more solid! Build quality hasn't gotten any better over the years.

I bet people will be selling many units because the RV sites are hard to come by where you want to go. A spontaneous trip better be a dry camping spot away from the popular areas.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appears from the posts here, and my recent searching, that the further east you go, the more RVs are available for sale and the cheaper the prices.
Everywhere around here from Seattle to Spokane is very thin on inventory.
Dealers fill the front rows that face the highways and empty lots behind them, or carefully spaced out and staged parking of the inventory they do have.

Considering I never understood how seemingly so few customers at a RV place at any given time can buy enough new RVs to support the huge inventories you generally see, presumably if the lots are less than full, supply aint keeping up with demand.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/21 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Appears from the posts here, and my recent searching, that the further east you go, the more RVs are available for sale and the cheaper the prices.

We headed west from Michigan. Bought in Omaha (long story not related to RV inventories) and saw plenty of RVs on lots out thru Utah, Nevada, Arizona and California, so I don't think it's how far east you are.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/21 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

We headed west from Michigan. Bought in Omaha (long story not related to RV inventories) and saw plenty of RVs on lots out thru Utah, Nevada, Arizona and California, so I don't think it's how far east you are.

This early spring we were searching for the 6yr 30' range MH's. At the time we were only intrested in Winnebago,Tiffin, Newmar..nothing in the NE area... with the exception of 1 newmar that was trashed on the inside that was sitting on the lot since last summer. Only a few over 35'

Mike

* This post was edited 06/11/21 06:22am by mdcamping *

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors.

Where we have camped

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

I've observed similar to Grid Dog. Maybe it's just the northwest. We have RV lots galore, but there's much less inventory than there used to be. I've actually noticed an uptick recently though.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was doing some work in Oregon a couple weeks ago. There was a lot near where we were, every trailer had a sold sign on the trailer. I was shocked, I did't see one on the lot without a sold sign.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

I've observed similar to Grid Dog. Maybe it's just the northwest. We have RV lots galore, but there's much less inventory than there used to be. I've actually noticed an uptick recently though.

The PNW is unique I think, in the number of outdoor recreationalists, not excluding other popular areas though. One would expect inventory to start coming back, as the "buying season" in northern states tapers off as the camping season goes on.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Thor Industries now has $14 billion in backlogged orders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.