cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suspension Help Needed

62gaser
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I purchased new Forrest River, Flagstaff, Classic Friday. We are first time buyers and very pleased with the new member to our family. I have a 2018 F250, 4X4, 6.2 Gas motor, 6 speed transmission. The truck is stock all the way. When we was pulling the 5th wheel home (first time to pull anything like that) the truck was bobbing up and down a lot and some times it was a pretty wild ride. it looked and felt like the truck held the 5th wheel good but the ride was terrible. I'm mechanically inclined and feel like the shocks were way too soft. Please give me some ideas on how to solve these issues. She is going to sit in the yard until I get this figured out and that's not what we purchased it for. All inputs are welcome.

Thank You
Danny
11 REPLIES 11

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Try carrying 30/40 gal of water in the fresh water tank ,it should help settle the bounce.Even with it loaded I WILL Help ABSORB rough road conditions.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are not over weight get some Bilstein shocks for the truck, and if it still bounces add air bags to help the suspension.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Galloping Gertie syndrome. Mostly occurs on concrete highways built over slightly unstable ground. It happens with tt's also. Meant to pack down lunch so you have room for those home made cookies you brought with you.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Probably normal chucking due to road conditions. Some roads will cause it some will not.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Second Chance wrote:
What model (number) is your Flagstaff and what is its GVWR? What is the payload on your truck?

Rob

Try taking it to a local CAT scale and get some real numbers.

Ideally, have it fully loaded as if you were taking a trip.

Weight it twice:
- Once with trailer connected.
- Once with just the truck. (costs something like $2.50 for a reweigh)

My guess is something is off with the weights but hard to say without real numbers.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
What model (number) is your Flagstaff and what is its GVWR? What is the payload on your truck?

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Can depend on the road surface. Some roads can develop a harmonic that matches your truck/trailer to amplify the bouncing. Yes shocks may help. I would try a different road or a newly paved area so see if it changes.

We just recently bought our first 5er too and I had the problem mentioned above. Certain roads have done this to me. The ride was so bad it concerned me at first but then I realized that the distance from the truck back tires to the trailer tires was just in the wrong place with the slight bumps on the surface of the road. When I get on a smooth road there is absolutely no rough ride whatsoever. I hope you find this is the same as what youโ€™re experiencing.
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10โ€™s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Load the trailer up. The pin weight might be too light when the trailer is empty, especially if it is a rear kitchen model. Properly balanced you should have 20-25% of the trailer weight carried on the pin. Too tail heavy can cause porpoising.

Make sure the truck rear tires are aired to max pressure as well. If those things donโ€™t help try new shocks.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

62gaser
Explorer
Explorer
DEMCO 5th Wheel Hitch RECON and yes it is mounted in the correct location.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can depend on the road surface. Some roads can develop a harmonic that matches your truck/trailer to amplify the bouncing. Yes shocks may help. I would try a different road or a newly paved area so see if it changes.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the hitch correctly located over the rear axle? What model hitch?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper