Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Seeking refrigerator tips... in AZ and heat is hampering...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Seeking refrigerator tips... in AZ and heat is hampering...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a personal report about efforts to maintain 35°F refrigerator temp with 0°F freezer temp in ultra hot conditions...

I simply could not meet these temperature goals with an absorbsion refrigerator. A brand new 8 CF Norcold. With a fifty degree differential (Delta T) door shelf temps were in the sixties and interior fans maintained 45°F+ which impacted my food safety.
Best cooling unit effectiveness was achieved with the use of a noisy 225 CFM 24 VOLT fan placed right at the roof vent base. Passing air across any of the coils below did nothing or raised interior temps. The huge fan is utterly impractical energy consumption and noise wise.

I tried a Whirlpool home refrigerator. The result was 24/7 operation and a temperature curve that bulged into the forties during the afternoon.

Trial number three was a knee knocking purchase of a 24 volt Vestfrost refrigerator that weighs 300 pounds. Due to insulation. Due to weird dimensions this is an utterly impractical choice. My bus allowed me latitude in space.

Due to cost and hassle I nicknamed the refrigerator and freezer The Manhattan Project. The insulation and Danforth compressors did the trick. Still I needed a circulation fan inside and a small condenser fan outside. But door temperature was maintained in the high thirties and freezer temps maintained below zero.

Just for info. Outside air temps soared to 115°F
Because the reefer and freezer were so large a
P hour usage was cruel. 115 and 140. @ 24 volts.

So, chin up when things seem tough. The ultimate "fix" is neither inexpensive or easy.

I spent all spring and summer on the Caribbean coast. A trip to town was 200 miles. Forty years later has entailed 2 rebuilds plus 2 new motors.

I finally gave up in July and started a diesel genset 24/7 and 3 roof airs. That and a palmetto roof really cut down amp hour consumption. Diesel was 15 cents per gallon back then.

Following the advice of the people on this forum will be easier and cheaper [emoticon]

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Manhattan Project.
lol

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 12:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

groundhogy wrote:

Any comments or education welcome.
thanks..
Not the safest approach but if youre living inside the unit with your AC running figure out a way to let the cold interior air enter the back section of the fridge. Ive been doing that for awhile. Most people dont really understand the concept. It works pretty good if you are already spending the money to cool the inside of your trailer and stuck with an absorption fridge. You can vent 80F degree air up the back of the fridge instead of 110F.

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great idea Wopachop.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can be done rather clean. The 4" size makes it easy.
4" hole saw
4" flexible duct
4" grill to make it look nice on the outside.

Depending on your layout its possible you could drill a 4" hole inside your lower kitchen cabinet that is next to the fridge. Then just crack open the cabinet door to let cold air into that space.

When running on propane i would cover the 4" hole with something. 4" pipe plug might fit perfect. Even duct tape would work as you would not see the hole inside the cabinet.

Use a fan to blow the air from the cold cabinet into the warm fridge ventilation area. Im currently feeding 79F cold air into my fridge vent space. Outside air must be in the high 90s. Fridge air temp hasnt gone over 39. The technique works good if youre using the trailer AC anyway. Danger is propane leaking back into the trailer. (although it would most likely fall down and out of the side vent of your fridge, since the 4" hole you drill will probably be higher than the lower vent) Adding a secondary propane detector wouldnt be the worse idea for added safety. Or dont try the technique at all. Only sharing because it has worked good for me and i understand the danger. I have my propane turned completely off on days like this. Not gonna be cooking inside on the stove.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in Phoenix. What has worked for me in all 4 of the RVs I have had in the last 30 lears is keeping the interior as cool as possible. Crank it down , so it will get a headstart on the day.
That is all I have ever needed to do.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1380watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sch911 wrote:

I have two 12V computer fans blowing air upward in the back of the fridge. They are mounted about half way up the back of the flue. Getting the heat to rise out of the flue is the key.

Me too, a considerable help…

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just placed arctic air evaporative cooler in the outside fridge compartment tonight. Also had a very small fan on hand. Also in there pointed up.
Will report back.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the fan battery powered?
If yes, it might work better inside the fridge blowing onto the cooling fins.
You need both. Fans inside the fridge. Fans behind the fridge in the vent area.

The evaporative cooler might be supplying enough air flow in the vent area. If thats the case, putting the other small fan inside the fridge blowing onto the cooling fins will help a bunch.

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a muffin fan inside the fridge, but adding another may be my next step depending on my results.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Seeking refrigerator tips... in AZ and heat is hampering...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.