Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Check in/out timing...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Check in/out timing...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

One should never "assume" that someone is "late" vacating a campsite, folks often pay for an additional "night" stay just so they do not have to be rushed to pack up in the morning.

Double booking can also happen which may pit you against the folks already in the spot that you were given.. Mistakes can happen.

Leave the "assumptions" and "policing" of the campground sites to the campground owner/management to deal with.

Much bigger issues in this world to deal with than fighting over a small rented plot of land..

That's a whooooooole lotta "quotes".

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Quote:

I have never arrived with my reserved site occupied.
I have never had the next occupant arrive while I was still at the site.

I think this is most likely on a first-come first-served camp, often Federal camps. People will often arrive very early at a park hoping to grab a free site as soon as it is vacated. They are scanning the whole campground not one particular site tho.

It may be a problem at RV Parks also.

I certainly understand getting there early for first come first serve sites. I don't see any reason to arrive before check in for a reserved site.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of you do not know the half of it. When we owned our park in a very touristy high demand short seasonal area, to make a go of it we had to book sites as near to 100% as we could.
Theres no weekend busy weekday empty crowd away from the cities. In high season a wednesday is the same as a saturday.
It sometimes meant guests would have to move from one site to another during their stay. which they agreed to and accepted. there was the issue, as the rightful occupant was entitled to stay until check out time, while the mover had to wait KNOWING that the site may not be open until after check out time.
The situation snowballed because one could not move until the other had vacated, others are lining up in the drive to check in and our staff was scurrying to mow and prep the sites.
Wheres the blame?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 11:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember waiting for a late check out. We had plans that day and not much extra time. Seemed like lots of extra spots so we tried to negotiate moving. No go. So we are parked on the lawn next to the drive and the owner comes over to give us a hard time. I told him we were waiting for our reserved spot maybe he should talk to them. Just grumbled and went back to his shed/barn. Finally the people rolled out after a couple hours. We quickly parked and unhitched to go do our planned activity in town. Turned out OK but what a lot of hassle.

Got back after dinner to finish setting up and expected the camp to be full with all the hassle to get in our spot. Nope. Maybe two others rolled in and the camp was max 1/3rd full. What a crazy outfit.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 03:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If someone shows up early and tries to tell us what to do it will be one minute before checkout before we leave. Maybe 30 seconds.
I will accept bribes however [emoticon].

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was CG host I made it a point to be sure campers knew when the site was booked for the night they where scheduled to leave. Mostly just the reserved sign on post. If I saw somebody was checking in on a site that was reserved for the night they planned to leave I would offer to move to another site that more likely to be able to extend their stay if wanted.
Somebody get there early? If the site is MT, set up if you want. But because you are early I might not have had time to check the site. You loose your right to witch if there is trash left.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had this happen 4 times in 4 years. Once, the site we reserved was occupied, the campground simply screwed up and gave us a different site. The owner came over later, very apologetic, and gave us a bottle of wine.
One time the people didn't realize it was their day to leave (?) and were a couple hours away doing something. The park employees gave us a different site we really didn't like, but it was only for 1night.
Another time, at a very nice Texas gulf resort in Port Aransas, the people were taking their granddaughter to the Houston airport and we had to wait over 2 hours after check in time.
The 4th time was almost nothing.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 80 Nights

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/21 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just had an issue two weeks ago. We decided to stay an extra day. Our site was reserved for the extra night so we would have to move. They gave us 4 sites to choose from. We picked the site we wanted and the park told us we could move the next morning as soon as the other person left (checkout was 1pm). On the other 3 sites we could have picked, they were all gone by 10:30am but the site we had picked the person was still there at the 1pm checkout time. We called the office and they came and knocked on his door. You could see him inside but he didn't answer. They called his cell phone multiple times and no answer. Finally, they left him a message that they would be calling the police to get him to leave. That finally got his attention and he started packing up slowly. Once he pulled out of his site, he parked his motorhome in the one lane road to hookup his toad. Took him 30 minutes of blocking traffic and keeping us from pulling into the site. The park said they had never had this happen before. I guess I should have picked one of the other sites.

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
3 fur kids (Monty, Lola and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy)

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

That's a whooooooole lotta "quotes".

The point gets across..

Sure, everyone wants the same favorite rented plot of land, but in the end, does it really matter if you are able to get a slightly different rented plot of land in the same campground?

Sure, I have been disappointed, one of my favorite campgrounds is first come, first served, no site reservation. Multiple times someone has been in my favorite rented plot of land when I got there and they vacated it after checkout time after I was fully set up.

I was grateful that the campground had at least one rented plot of land for me to be able to set up camp and not be turned away.

It actually did us a favor, we found that there are plenty of other rented plots in that campground that work just as well.

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago we were staying at an Oregon State Park. The check out time was 1pm and check in time 4pm. I had planned to leave close to noon. The people that were coming in the day we were leaving came in at about 11am and were trying to pressure us to hurry up and leave. I did the opposite and slowed down, stayed and ate lunch before leaving and left at 1pm.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Check in/out timing...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.