cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hooking up a second battery

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to go camping for a weekend, but may not have power. I was thinking of bringing a spare battery and swapping it out. I also thought of just running jumper cables to the 'dead' battery. Would doing that work, or must I swap it out? I don't want to mess with daisy chaining it.
16 REPLIES 16

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
one will be more dead than the other when I pack up to go to my next spot, over 5 hours away, where I will be back on shore power.
If you're back on shore you can charge then. Am I missing something?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
Would it be better to throw the worst one on the trailer to charge off the truck while traveling?

Very little charging happens.

I agree with 2oldman. Leave home with charged batteries.

Two in parallel will provide more energy than using one, followed by using the other.

I will, but one will be more dead than the other when I pack up to go to my next spot, over 5 hours away, where I will be back on shore power.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
From what you need I wouldn't have a worst one.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
swimmer_spe wrote:
Would it be better to throw the worst one on the trailer to charge off the truck while traveling?

Very little charging happens.

I agree with 2oldman. Leave home with charged batteries.

Two in parallel will provide more energy than using one, followed by using the other.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
Yeah, but it would be better to leave home with 2 charged batteries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Sagebrush wrote:
You can do that, swap them out or connect them together when you arrive. Keep the voltage above 12.4 if you want them to last. Recharge ASAP, sitting at low voltage for days will kill them. Get an $18 Camco double battery box and upgrade to a pair of GC2's, they will actually last a good bit longer if you give them basic care.

I don't have space on the tongue to fit 2 battery boxes.

I'll be bringing a wrench to raise/lower the tongue jack in the event of a bad battery.

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
You can do that, swap them out or connect them together when you arrive. Keep the voltage above 12.4 if you want them to last. Recharge ASAP, sitting at low voltage for days will kill them. Get an $18 Camco double battery box and upgrade to a pair of GC2's, they will actually last a good bit longer if you give them basic care.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
as soon as you arrive connect both fully charged batteries together in parallel.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
wopachop wrote:
Be careful if the spare battery is from an automobile. A car battery is not meant to be run down like a trailer battery.

Maybe everyone can chip in and rent a genny?

It's another deep cell battery. Where I am going doesn't allow generators or I'd be doing that. I have access to several.
Familiar with equalization charging? You could show up super charged. Every little bit would help.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A Marine Deep Cycle battery? They are compromised starting batteries and not in the deep cycle class regardless of the label.

Bob

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Be careful if the spare battery is from an automobile. A car battery is not meant to be run down like a trailer battery.

It's another deep cell battery. Where I am going doesn't allow generators or I'd be doing that. I have access to several.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Swapping is best. You can remove the negative battery cable and connect the jumper cables to it and the positive post.

Daisy chaining to me means serial - definitely don't.

I'd still do it parallel.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Swapping is best. You can remove the negative battery cable and connect the jumper cables to it and the positive post.

Daisy chaining to me means serial - definitely don't.

Bob