cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AT&T Mobley has Died. Need replacement Router

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
My Mobley had a hardware failure. I am on the grandfathered unlimited data plan. I need to get a new router with external antennas that I can put the SIM card into. I am NOT a tech expert, but an 84 yo pen and paper guy so I need something simple.

Will this work?????

All suggestion are welcome
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
12 REPLIES 12

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
The Mobley is substantially better when moved to a router. Not only in performance but in usability being able to use most anywhere with a battery powered Mi-Fi and the additional devices that are allowed to connect.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
So far my Mobley works perfectly in my 3 dodge rams with good reception without transferring the SIM to other devices. Leave well enough alone is my advice to the SMA.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked and my OBD Mobley is 4G capable.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone is interested, we have an OBD mobley and a ZTE wireless WIFI receiver/modem/router no longer needed as we changed carriers.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Jbird wrote:
Would I have the same problems with sim card if I replace my dead Mobley with another Mobley?

Update 8/28/21:

After 40+ hours with ATT support and 5 SIM Cards and 4 hardware changes (replacement for the mobley)

1. I replaced my SIM card from my (sick) Mobley in a known good Mobley my sister had and all work well.

2. Based on other replies I choose to replace my Mobley with a Netgear Unite Explore 815S I found on eBay. Now I have much faster internet -- up to 25 MHz download and 20 Mhz Upload plus I can connect up to 15 devices. HOWEVER, the Netgear does drop connection very often. I do not know why.

It took 2 phone calls to ATT to get the Netgear to work with a new SIM card.

DO NOT ALLOW ATT TECHSUPPORT TALK YOU INTO TRYING TO CHANGE YOUR PLAN FROM THE GRANDFATHER PLAN. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO GET YOUR OLD GRANFATHER PLAN BACK (ask me how I know)
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
Would I have the same problems with sim card if I replace my dead Mobley with another Mobley?
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

MrWizard
I put my Mobley SIM card into this AT&T netgear router Hot spot
AT&T Netgear 815s
And use the available mimo antenna

Hopefully you have already gone thru the SIM unlock procedure with the Mobley

If not and the needed router gives you a SIM error msg
You might need too tell att you have SIM problems with the Mobley, (not a dead Mobley) and you need a new SIM, then put it in the new hotspot router,
You didn't say how dead, if the Mobley Wi-Fi works but the cellular is dead, you might still access administration and unlock the SIM if you have the puk code, what many of us did was to set our own SIM lock code, so AT&T could not alter any settings to the SIM or the device,
The lock unlock change lock code settings are accessible thru the device administration login url from your web browser,
After the normal wifi connection has been made

Looking ahead to Feb 2022, I jumped on the T-mobile wireless home internet gateway, and plan on replacing my old Samsung S5 Verizon phone, so I can switch to Visible and reduce my current $148 per month vzw bill, to $25, two months savings will cover the cost of the replacement phone, after that I will still be saving $$70 every month, even with having the new T-Mobile account,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr. Wizard (best of the best) has a correct answer for this and gave me the details in a reply to this topic yesterday on this forum. Cheers to the many.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago AT&T put something in the Mobley code that prevented you from simply swapping the Mobley account SIM into another device.

I can't remember the details, but you had to obtain the PUK code(s) from AT&T and then follow a specific regime to make the Mobley SIM work in another device.

I did this, but can't recall the steps. Google and see what you can find. Don't buy another device and assume the Mobley SIM will work in it.

Having said this, those people that swapped SIMs before this change are OK.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
phillyg wrote:
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that ATT was discontinuing Mobley support.

Yes, That is why I need a replacement router. The mobley has worked after support ended.

Travel Photos

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that ATT was discontinuing Mobley support.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that router should work with the AT&T sim card.